• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Tongues...

• Members

Evangelist Kieth Daniels is from South Africa. He is a part of a very conservative evangelistic group. He was preaching in a prison to a group that was mostly English, so he preached in English. After the message a prisoner came up to him and began to speak to him in Afrikaans, (a Dutch dialect.) Bro. Daniels knew Afrikaans and spoke with him. The prisoner told Bro. Daniels when he began preaching he knew it was English, which he did not speak, but as the Gospel was presented he began to hear it in his native Afrikaans.

Bro. Daniels is not a charismatic, and never has made an issue out of tongues. Regardless to his theology, the Lord allowed this to happen in his ministry.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=16006

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

2 quick thoughts:

1. Many people who believe in "heavenly language style" tongues do not require all christians to have that gift. Like any other gift only some have it. I have a few friends who believe this. They just roll their eyes at the folks who would say all christians will speak in tougues.

2. If the tongues that BroBen's link talks of is true, what does that do to the theology that tongues have ceased?

• Members

Dwayner said:

2. If the tongues that BroBen's link talks of is true, what does that do to the theology that tongues have ceased?

Put that point back on the griddle, turn up the heat, and see what happens. In other words, I appreciate some good that comes from dispensational understanding, but it is not the "end all" for God if He so chooses. Man has said what the things is that ends these things, but the verse is subjective at best.

For the record, I in no way, shape, or form, believe in the modern tongues movement. I beleive it was and is an evangelistic tool of the Lord, and seldom seen.

• Members
Dwayner said:

Put that point back on the griddle, turn up the heat, and see what happens. In other words, I appreciate some good that comes from dispensational understanding, but it is not the "end all" for God if He so chooses. Man has said what the things is that ends these things, but the verse is subjective at best.

For the record, I in no way, shape, or form, believe in the modern tongues movement. I beleive it was and is an evangelistic tool of the Lord, and seldom seen.

Well said...

• Members
2. If the tongues that BroBen's link talks of is true' date=' what does that do to the theology that tongues have ceased?[/quote']

Nothing - I know what the Bible says; therefore BroBen is wrong of his understanding of what happened there. I don't change my theology because someone had an experience. Many people have been deceived through the ages.

• Members

You're right - believing the Bible is one way of dealing with Bible doctrine...

Here's a comparison for you:

You believe in eternal security. Someone comes up to you who doesn't. They say, "If I can show you a true Christian who turned away from Christ, utterly renounced Him and lost his salvation, would you believe it?" Dilemma: Believe someone's questionable theory and experience, or just cling to the Bible and assume that they were deceived or wrong in their understanding of what actually happened. If you believe the Bible, the second option is the one you would choose. The same goes with the above scenario: 1 Corinthians 13 already gives God's perspective on the temporary sign gifts, so I don't need to look for another one based on someone's experience.

• Members

Did the Bible ever say that the gift of tongues was done away with? I've heard it said over and over again but I'm not sure where it's coming from. The Bible outlines the rules for using tongues and the various gifts that he gives people. I've also considered the fact that the gift of tongues may also include talents that God gives people for foreign languages. Of course, He obviously used it for supernatural translations of God's message. Why He still can't use it today is beyond me. A lot of supernatural stuff still goes on around the world where people are willing to have faith to believe it.

Did the Bible ever say that the gift of tongues was done away with? I've heard it said over and over again but I'm not sure where it's coming from.

It is taken from this passage..

"1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."

Of course "knowledge" would have to be gone to if that is the case... There are multiple ways of looking at this though and frankly I think the modern IFB understanding of this verse came as a reaction to the false pentecostal movement. :wink

Personally, I think it MAY happen today in special situations... MOST of the time though it is completely unbiblical and often of demonic origin...

If I run across tongues that follow the biblical pattern I am not going to lose any sleep over it...

• Members

I agree Seth and Dwayne. I don't see that verse as having anything to do with tongues not being around today, especially in light of the fact that he details how they should be used in the following chapter. :bonk:
In a context of an entire chapter on love, it seems extremely apparent to me that it is saying, while prophecy, tongues and knowledge do not endure forever, love is unending.