• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Tongues...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It depends. If the person was demonpossessed and speaking in tongues because of that, then no, they are not saved. Some tongues is psychological - or caused by the person themself in some way. Some may be caused by demonic influence - ie. the Christian opened themselves up to it and Satan is now able to influence them through their own will (see Ananias in Acts 5 - why has Satan filled thine heart).

One thing not mentioned in this thread (that I can recall) is that some Buddhists, Catholics, Mormons and some other cults/religions also speak in (ecstatic) tongues. Funny how the tongues that charismatics and pentecostals are speaking can be the exact same as that done by these obviously unsaved groups - YET there is an outcry when a discerning Christian cries that these tongues performed by professing believers are not of God.

• Members
What do you people think about someone who prays in tongues? Can such a person be saved?

What jerry said.

Why would anyone want to "pray in tongues" anyhow? Jesus told us how to pray. And He said not to use vain repetitions as the heathen do.
Here's what Paul said about it:

2 Corinthtians 14
13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.