• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is everyone's name, originally in the Book of Life?

• Members

"Lamb's book of life" is only mentioned once n the Book of Revelation, then "book of life of the Lamb" is also mentioned once.

"Book of life", on the other hand, is mentioned six times.
A believer's name will not be removed from the Book of life . Revelation 3:5

Believers' names....
Will never be removed....
Rev 3:5
He that overcometh, Who is an overcomer? One who has faith....a believer. 1 John 5:4
the same shall be clothed in white raiment;
and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, Whose name will He NOT blot out? 1 John 5:4....a believer.
but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. Faith...overcomes the world....an "overcomer" cannot be lost because he is born of God (1 John 5:4)

Unbelievers' names
However, the above verse, by it's very mention does convey the possiblilty of names being blotted out..... unbelievers' names.
Therefore, my opinion, is that everyones' name is originally written in the "book of life" and unbeliever's names get blotted out. Here's some more verses for you to read.

Exodus 32:32-33.
32Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
33And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. Your name has to already be there, for it to be blotted out.

Psalm 69:28,
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous. Same here

Rev 22:19
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book. You must already have "a part" in the book of life, for it to be taken away.

• Members

I believe the seven references to the Book of Life in Revelation are all referring to the Lamb's Book of Life, even if that term is only used once in reference to it. Seven is God's perfect/complete number, so it does seem very fitting if it is mentioned seven times in Revelation - Revelation (like John) has patterns of sevens all through it - both specifically mentioned and others you have to look for). This book contains the names of all true believers from the foundation of the world.

The book of the living - or as some would term the other book of life - contains the names of those who are living while they are living. If someone dies rejecting the Lord, the verses covered seem to indicate that then their names are removed from that book.

In eternity, both books will be balanced and contain the same names.

• Members
I believe the seven references to the Book of Life in Revelation are all referring to the Lamb's Book of Life, even if that term is only used once in reference to it. Seven is God's perfect/complete number, so it does seem very fitting if it is mentioned seven times in Revelation - Revelation (like John) has patterns of sevens all through it - both specifically mentioned and others you have to look for). This book contains the names of all true believers from the foundation of the world.

The book of the living - or as some would term the other book of life - contains the names of those who are living while they are living. If someone dies rejecting the Lord, the verses covered seem to indicate that then their names are removed from that book.

In eternity, both books will be balanced and contain the same names.

I noticed the error in my count. I was counting the book of Philippians.
There are 5 mentions of "book of life", one "book of life of the Lamb", and one "Lamb's book of life". Seven is the number of perfection or completion, that is true. But if all seven were meant to mean the "lamb's book of life", all seven should say so. No?

So then, by what you just said, this verse, being one of those seven, also refers to the "Lamb's book of life".
Rev 22:19
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book. Once again, you must already have "a part" in the "book of life", for it to be taken away.

• Members

Your opinion. A part in the book of life doesn't necessarily mean their name in it - like I said in the other thread, it could possibly mean the opportunity to be in there. Just like salvation is offered freely to everyone and not everyone accepts it or receives it, so too their names being written down through faith is also offered (in a way) to everyone, but through rejection of the truth and the Saviour, many people will disqualify themselves from their part in that book.

• Members

It reads pretty simply that everyone has their name in the book of life, until they die. At death, those who didn't trust in Jesus, have their name removed.

Wouldn't want anyone challenging a perfect and Holy God as to why he leaves people out, and He's not willing that any should perish, so everyone gets their name in, everyone has a chance, then you get blotted out if you trust yourself.

If you trust yourself, or religion, or good works, or paying money, then you should have your name in the book of religion, or good works, or paying money, etc... not Jesus' book.

Then again, I can see how someone would want to think that you earn your place, and the blotting out would be blotting out something that isn't there. It's a very common practice for people to put white out on a blank piece of paper.

• Members

Psalm 69 refers to blotting out someone's name out of the book of the living. However, Revelation 3:5 is stating that true believers' names will not be blotted out. The context of Revelation 2-3 and that period in church history shows it as a promise, and not as a threat. God will never blot out anyone's names out of the Lamb's Book of Life - as He only wrote true believers' names in there, and His salvation is eternal.

• Members
Your opinion. A part in the book of life doesn't necessarily mean their name in it - like I said in the other thread' date=' it could possibly mean the opportunity to be in there. Just like salvation is offered freely to everyone and not everyone accepts it or receives it, so too their names being written down through faith is also offered (in a way) to everyone, but through rejection of the truth and the Saviour, many people will disqualify themselves from their part in that book.

No sir, the bible means what it says.

1) a part

a) a part due or assigned to one

B)lot, destiny

2) one of the constituent parts of a whole

a) in part, partly, in a measure, to some degree, as respects a part, severally, individually

B) any particular, in regard to this, in this respect

Here's the verse again.
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book. The context is words, brother. What is the only thing you can "take a part out" of a book, brother? Either pages or words.

The word "part" in the above verse covers three things that will be taken away from the unbeliever:
1. The part out of the "book of life"......obviously one's name.
2. The part out of the "holy city"....the destiny to be in the physical presence, fellowship, sustenance, protection and presence of the King.
3. And the part out of "the things written in this book"......the promises in the Word of God.

My point is, whether a physical "name" is in a "book of Life" or not, the Bible plainly says that God will "take away" "HIS PART" and "out", indicating a destiny, or place reserved. So.....If God intended from the beginning for certain ones to go to Hell, why would God be "taking away their part" if it was never there to start with? Actually, it's pretty plain...if you take anything out of a book, it's got to be a word....and the book of life, contains names.

• Members
Psalm 69 refers to blotting out someone's name out of the book of the living. However' date=' Revelation 3:5 is stating that true believers' names will not be blotted out. The context of Revelation 2-3 and that period in church history shows it as a promise, and not as a threat. God will never blot out anyone's names out of the Lamb's Book of Life - as He only wrote true believers' names in there, and His salvation is eternal.[/quote']

I plainly said that it was not a threat to believers.
The "Lamb's book of life" is not the one mentioned where names will be blotted out. You have already been shown. Please use the right reference.

• Members
My point is' date=' whether a physical "name" is in a "book of Life" or not, the Bible plainly says that God will "take away" "HIS PART" and "out", indicating a destiny, or place reserved. So.....If God intended from the beginning for certain ones to go to Hell, why would God be "taking away their part" if it was never there to start with?[/quote']

Who is talking about anyone being intended or destined for Hell? This is not a thread on Calvinism. I believe this is the same type of thing that Jesus referred to in John 14 - many mansions being prepared for those who will believe - a part in Heaven for those who receive Jesus Christ and the truth. Those who won't believe and who reject Jesus Christ will not have a part in the Lamb's Book of Life or Heavenly Jerusalem (where the mansions are).

:puzzled: I quoted two references in that post, and clarified what both were speaking about.

• Members

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The verb "Written" is Perfect passive Indicative. Those whose names were not written and are still not written in the book of life. Permanent state stands not written.

They are not written in the book of life because they have never trusted Christ.

• Members
Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him' date=' whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The verb "Written" is Perfect passive Indicative. Those whose names were not written and are still not written in the book of life. Permanent state stands not written.

They are not written in the book of life because they have never trusted Christ.

Revelation 22:19 does not say "Lamb's book of life" or "book of life of the Lamb"
It only says "book of life" and it plainly says "I will take away his part out of the "book of life".....
A person must already have a "part" in it, before a "part" can be "taken away" and "out".
And if you have a "part" in a book of names, what could that "part" possibly be? :bonK:

• Members
A person must already have a "part" in it, before a "part" can be "taken away" and "out".
And if you have a "part" in a book of names, what could that "part" possibly be? :bonk:

So people disagree with your opinion - is it Christlike to mock them?

• 13 years later...
Guest Donnalee

Can I just interject. Revelation 20:11-12,15,  Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away.. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another ybook was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life ewas cast into the lake of fire.

Does it not sound likely that it said and books were opened and another book, the Book of Life, was opened' The Book of Life was separate, special.

Checks and Balance: everyone's name when born is written in the books and as you say when they die and have not accept Jesus, their names would be blotted out. It also said another book was open, the Book of Life with the names of those who accepted Jesus (John 3:16) and are believers. 

SO checking The Book of Life to see if his name is in there. Then the other books are checked and the unbeliever name is removed, blotted out..

• Administrators

Donnalee, I realize you are new to the site and feel I should tell you that you have replied to a post that is fourteen years old. As such, many on this thread may no longer be here, so you may not get the answers you need.