• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Father is greater than Son

• Members

Gods Firstborn would be a Being not a people and such a being would state "Before Abraham was born I AM"

Thats how I define God's Firstborn

Jesus stated who His God is. Jesus stated the one He called God is greater then Him.

The Father testified He was the God of the one HE appointed over all

Hebrews1:
9Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

I have given the testimony of the Son and the Father.

Randy

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
The context easily defines the word "firstborn"...

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

If the word firstborn "prototokos" means that Christ is the first to be created by God, then Christ, who is the firstborn from the dead would be the first to rise from the dead. However, we know that there were many others who were resurrected before Christ (1 Sam.28:11,14; 1 Kin.17:22; 2 Kin.4:32-35; 13:21; Matt.9:23-25; Lk.7:12-15; 9:30; Jn.11:43). Jesus has preeminence over all creation as in being sovereign over all creation (v.16...."ALL THINGS were created by him"). The context is sooo clear.

Love,
Madeline

Who was the 1st one to enter heaven from this earth?

• Members

Seems Randy is just determined to hold to his false theology.

Jesus is God - is co-equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

God purchased the church with His own blood - whose blood? Jesus'.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Who was manifest in the flesh? God - therefore Jesus is God.

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Who is the Word/Jesus? God.

John 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Who laid down His life for us? God.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Who is with us? God.

Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Who is that child that was born? God.

Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Who was born in Bethlehem? God.

Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Who was Jesus? The I AM - God!

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

He didn't just exist before Abraham - He is eternal, the everlasting God.

Exodus 3:13-15 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

I am sure there are other passages that could be quoted on this theme. Will you believe the Bible or your preconceived falsehoods?

• Members
Seems Randy is just determined to hold to his false theology.

Jesus is God - is co-equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

God purchased the church with His own blood - whose blood? Jesus'.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Who was manifest in the flesh? God - therefore Jesus is God.

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Who is the Word/Jesus? God.

John 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Who laid down His life for us? God.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Who is with us? God.

Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Who is that child that was born? God.

Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Who was born in Bethlehem? God.

Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Who was Jesus? The I AM - God!

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

He didn't just exist before Abraham - He is eternal, the everlasting God.

Exodus 3:13-15 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

I am sure there are other passages that could be quoted on this theme. Will you believe the Bible or your preconceived falsehoods?

If God was greater that Jesus we could not have One God. They are both equal. The only difference is Jesus took on the flesh, but he was still fully God.

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are
John 17:11 (KJV)

30 I and my Father are one.
John 10:30 (KJV)

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
1 John 5:7-8 (KJV)

• Members

If God was greater that Jesus we could not have One God. They are both equal. The only difference is Jesus took on the flesh, but he was still fully God.

John 14:28 - Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

The Holy Spirit is also the Eternal spirit of the Son (Rom.8:9).

Romans 8:9 - But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

There is One eternal being in three "persons" according to our finite understanding. Btw, Jesus said that He will raise "Himself" from the dead...

John 2:19 - Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple (His body), and in three days I will raise it up. I agree with you that there is One God. :)

Love,
Madeline

All that the Father has belongs to the Son and the Holy Spirit who represents Christ Jesus in us is still part of the One who gave that gift to the Son. As Jesus prayed to the Father "I gave them the gift you gave me" The Father in Jesus and Jesus in those that belong to Him

Randy

Acts 2
33:Exalted to the right hand of God, He has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

33:Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear

• Members

The Holy Spirit is a separate personality from the Father, just as Jesus is separate. All three are equal. The Holy Spirit is its own person and not just the Spirit of the Father. Acts five is one passage that makes this very clear:

Acts 5:3-4 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

This verse also makes it very clear:

Isaiah 48:16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

It is the Son speaking, telling us that the Father AND the Spirit have sent Him.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Why not study out the Bible properly - put all relevant passages side by side (not just your favourite ones that seem to give only your viewpoint), then come to a conclusion based on all of them. The Bible teaches the Trinity, the Godhead - three persons (personalities if you will) in one God.

• Members
The Holy Spirit is a separate personality from the Father, just as Jesus is separate. All three are equal. The Holy Spirit is its own person and not just the Spirit of the Father. Acts five is one passage that makes this very clear:

Acts 5:3-4 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

This verse also makes it very clear:

Isaiah 48:16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

It is the Son speaking, telling us that the Father AND the Spirit have sent Him.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Why not study out the Bible properly - put all relevant passages side by side (not just your favourite ones that seem to give only your viewpoint), then come to a conclusion based on all of them. The Bible teaches the Trinity, the Godhead - three persons (personalities if you will) in one God.

God is Spirit and God is One. I do not know how you state the Holy Spirit has a separate personality. Our heavenly Father calls that Spirit His Spirit. As in the last days I will pour out my Spirit... Jesus testified it was the Spirit of the "Sovereign Lord" that was upon Him when He read the scroll in Nazareth. Gods own Spirit, which is holy searches His thoughts and carries out that Will. Gods Holy Spirit is His being just as I hope you believe you are spirit in flesh and your spirit searches your thoughts.

Randy

• Members
Here is a scripture where Jesus is speaking:

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come [again] unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (John 14:28)

Clearly Jesus speaks that his Father is greater. Therefor he can't be compared to Jehovah, can he? Can someone explain me this question: is Jesus inferior to his Father on earth only, or in heaven also?

I really don't think that Jesus meant that he was inferior to His Father but rather that was His way of respecting the Father. More than once Christ told His disciples that He and the Father were one.

• Members

Randy, the Bible would not teach that they were lying to the Holy Spirit, unless He was a separate person. The Bible would not teach these three are one, then name all three individual persons in the Trinity. The Bible would not say He and His Spirit have sent me - that makes TWO people, not one which you are trying to make it say. The Bible would not tell us to baptize in the name of all three if they were all the same person - it would say Baptize in the name of God or something like that.

• Members

[quote="RandyW"][quote="Madeline"][quote="RandyW"][quote="Madeline"][quote="RandyW"][quote="Madeline"][quote="RandyW"][quote="Jerry"]No, but you are a heretic in this regard (ie. teaching heresy)!

The Bible teaches the Trinity - one God in three persons. All co-equal, co-eternal. Jesus is not the Father, nor the Spirit; The Father is neither Jesus (the Son) nor the Spirit; The Spirit is neither the Son nor the Father - yet they are all equal. On earth, in His humanity, Jesus submitted Himself to the Father - as an example to us - not because He was any less than the Father. Jesus is both God and man - fully God (deity) and fully man. Jesus has always been God (a NT term the Bible uses for the Trinity is the Godhead); His deity was never born - there was never a time He wasn't God and one in essence, etc. with the Father and the Spirit.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Colossians 2:9 [b]For [u]in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily[/u].[/b][/quote]

Jesus teaches the Father is in Him as well as the Father is His God and the Father is greater than Him - again I follow Him.

call me what you want

Randy[/quote]

Jesus was both God and man on earth (Jn.1:1; 8:58; 20:28; Tit.2:13; 2Pet. 1:1; Rev.1:8; Lk.3:52; Jn.4:6; 22:4; Heb.7:24). The word flesh (sarx) in the Greek expresses Jesus' "humanity" (e.g., "The word was made flesh - Jn.1:14), and as man He looked to the scriptures to ward off the devil (Matt.4:1-11; Heb.4:15,16). He also referred to His Father as "God" because He was fully man, and as a human being...He called His Father God as we do (......I ascend unto [b]my[/b] Father, and [b]your[/b] Father; and to [b]my[/b] God, and [b]your[/b] God. Jn.20:17).

Love,
Madeline[/quote]
Jesus is all that the Father is because that is how His Father and our Father ordained Him to be. Yes a body was prepared for Him and He came down to us. The Father commanded His angels to worship Jesus as Jesus purchased many by His blood for God. Jesus stated authority was [u]Given[/u]. All those things testify that the Father is greater including the Lords on testimony.

Jesus is the [u]Firstborn[/u] over all creation through whom God made the heavens and the earth and all that is in them..

Randy[/quote]

Randy, either Jesus is God or He isn't. The bible clearly teaches that there are 3 distinct persons in the Godhead. Jesus "the SON" was referred to as God on earth (Jn.20:28). And because Jesus was "given" authority this somehow makes Him less equal than His Father? A "human" father can give his son authority, however that doesn't imply that he's somehow better than his son as a human being. As human beings...they are both "equal." Also, I don't really see anything in your comments of any particular substance. The deity of Jesus Christ is a very important and I would say essential part of the gospel. Of course the concept of someone who is both God and man in a single person is difficult to understand, something Jesus Himself broached on our behalf when He asked the Pharisees how David could refer to the Messiah who is clearly his son as "Lord", therefore being also clearly God. The answer with which every Christian should be completely and fully familiar is that Jesus who is God became, in addition to God, a true human being at the point of His virgin birth. As John explains, the Word which had been face to face with the Father before time began "made flesh" - Jesus, true deity, took on true humanity and become in addition to God also man (Jn.1:1-5).

This is an indescribably wonderful and sublime thing! But it is also a critical point of Christian doctrine without which heresy and unbelief have always been close at hand (most of the attacks on the church visible in the early centuries after the apostles came in the form of just such "questions" about the nature of the God-man, Jesus Christ, whether doubting His divinity or His humanity). For the gospel is centered around the Person and the work of Christ. Without becoming a man, Jesus could not die for our sins in our place. But without being God, Jesus could not be "sent" to come into the world from outside of it in order to save it. The God-man dying for the sins of the world is the essence of the gospel, and it is difficult for me to see how someone could fail to accept this essential core of truth and still truly be a Christian (a Gnostic, maybe, or one of any of the many variety of false sects which masquerade as "Christian", but not a true Christian).

Paul's words in Philippians say it all:

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Philippians 2:5-8

Thus all the instances of Jesus not "acting like God" were necessary restrictions taken on by Him voluntarily in order to accomplish the Father's plan, chief among which is the humiliation of the cross. But it doesn't take much imagination when reading the gospels to understand that only God could have accomplished what Jesus accomplished in His three year ministry (e.g., just look at His testing in the desert), and, as a matter of fact, we do pray not only in the Name of Jesus but to Jesus Himself (Jn.14:14; He is also the object of our worship). The fact that part of Jesus' testing and self-imposed yet necessary humiliation included not using His own divinity to aid His humanity in all of His exceptional trials should not be taken as any lack of deity but really just the opposite: only someone who was both God and man could ever have done all that Jesus did; only someone who was both God and man could ever have spoken about Himself as Jesus did (Jn.8:58; 10:30; 12:44; 14:6; Col.1:16,17).

Love,
Madeline[/quote]

Think of Jesus as the lamp and the light in that lamp that shines out is the Father who will never leave the Son.
Jesus testified that He gave us the gift the Father gave Him. As the Father is in Jesus so Jesus will be in us. As Jesus lives Forever because of the Living Father in Him so we will live forever because of Jesus living is in those that belong to Him. As far as the Holy Spirit Jesus said those that listen to the "Father" come to Him and He will raise them up on the last day. The Holy Spirit is the Fathers Spirit - there is only One God.

Randy[/quote]

The Holy Spirit is also the Eternal spirit of the Son (Rom.8:9).

Romans 8:9 - But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that [b][u]the Spirit of God [/u]dwell in you[/b]. [b]Now if any man have not [u]the Spirit of Christ[/u], he is [i][u]none [/u]of his[/i][/b].

There is One eternal being in three "persons" according to our finite understanding. Btw, Jesus said that He will raise "Himself" from the dead...

John 2:19 - Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple (His body), and in three days [u][b]I[/b][/u] will raise it up. I agree with you that there is One God. :)

Love,
Madeline[/quote]

All that the Father has belongs to the Son and the Holy Spirit who represents Christ Jesus in us is still part of the One who gave that gift to the Son. As Jesus prayed to the Father "I gave them the gift you gave me" The Father in Jesus and Jesus in those that belong to Him

Randy

Acts 2
33:Exalted to the right hand of God, He has received [u]from the Father the promised Holy Spirit [/u]and has poured out what you now see and hear.

33:Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand your response or what the point is or whether or not there is an objection here. The Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Church split ostensibly over this issue of the "procession of the Spirit", i.e., whether the Spirit is sent by the Father or by the Father and the Son. In fact, both are true. The Trinity are Spirit;they are three in Person but One in essence. All of the passages in the Bible which show the subordination of the Son reflect His role in history and not a difference in essence; that is, the only essential "differences" are to be found in the way the Trinity has chosen to act within the created world. Jesus' role is one of subordination wherein He took on Himself the mission of coming into the world to save it. The role of the Father is different and the role of the Spirit is different, but these are roles they play of their own divine will and not indications of any inferiority or superiority. For they are "One"; God is One in essence; God has One purpose, so the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are never at odds to the slightest degree. This is incomprehensible to human beings (without the aid of the Spirit and scripture), and so it is largely for our benefit that the Trinity roles have been expressed in the Bible the way they are expressed. But it is and has always been a mistake to think or say or teach that because of the role differences there is also a difference in divine essence (and so in rank or nature). There most decidedly is not, and any notion, teaching, argument that heads in that direction is the very definition of historical heresy. For fundamental to orthodox Christianity is the proper and biblical understanding that God is One in essence; three in Person. These two propositions are complementary and not contradictory. They are both necessary to understand in order to appreciate who God is, who Christ is, and what it meant for the Son to take on true humanity in order to come into this world and die on our behalf. Any teaching which seeks to diminish the deity of Christ or question His true humanity loses touch with the true gospel by definition.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I'm not sure I understand your response or what the point is or whether or not there is an objection here. The Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Church split ostensibly over this issue of the "procession of the Spirit", i.e., whether the Spirit is sent by the Father or by the Father and the Son. In fact, both are true. The Trinity are Spirit;they are three in Person but One in essence. All of the passages in the Bible which show the subordination of the Son reflect His role in history and not a difference in essence; that is, the only essential "differences" are to be found in the way the Trinity has chosen to act within the created world. Jesus' role is one of subordination wherein He took on Himself the mission of coming into the world to save it. The role of the Father is different and the role of the Spirit is different, but these are roles they play of their own divine will and not indications of any inferiority or superiority. For they are "One"; God is One in essence; God has One purpose, so the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are never at odds to the slightest degree. This is incomprehensible to human beings (without the aid of the Spirit and scripture), and so it is largely for our benefit that the Trinity roles have been expressed in the Bible the way they are expressed. But it is and has always been a mistake to think or say or teach that because of the role differences there is also a difference in divine essence (and so in rank or nature). There most decidedly is not, and any notion, teaching, argument that heads in that direction is the very definition of historical heresy. For fundamental to orthodox Christianity is the proper and biblical understanding that God is One in essence; three in Person. These two propositions are complementary and not contradictory. They are both necessary to understand in order to appreciate who God is, who Christ is, and what it meant for the Son to take on true humanity in order to come into this world and die on our behalf. Any teaching which seeks to diminish the deity of Christ or question His true humanity loses touch with the true gospel by definition.

Love,
Madeline

There are differences but we are stating the same end result, Jesus is all that the Father is. The Holy Spirit is all that the Father is. God is One.

Randy

• Members
Randy' date=' the Bible would not teach that they were lying to the Holy Spirit, unless He was a separate person. The Bible would not teach these three are one, then name all three individual persons in the Trinity. The Bible would not say He and His Spirit have sent me - that makes TWO people, not one which you are trying to make it say. The Bible would not tell us to baptize in the name of all three if they were all the same person - it would say Baptize in the name of God or something like that.[/quote']

Yes you would be talking to the Fathers Holy Spirit not physically face to face with the Father. In that sense God can be perceived by us as two seperate individuals. But in reality they are the same being and thought as God is Spirit and God is One. So if the Lord Almighty calls that Spirit His Spirit you can forgive me for calling Gods Holy Spirit His Spirit. If Jesus calls the Father His God you can forgive me for calling the Father His God.

Randy

Zech 4
6 So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

6Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

• Members

The Bible also CLEARLY teaches that the Holy Spirit is Jesus' Spirit. Kind of destroys your little theory.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.