• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Letters from Santa

• Members
You could just tell them the historical truth about Nicholas of Myra' date=' although he has been adopted as a catholic saint he was a real person who was generous and charitable. And yes he is dead and the rest (santa claus, kris kringle, chriskind, etc..) are just fairy tales built off of his life, but his real life of charity is a good christian example.[/quote']

Why would we want to teach someone the "historical truth" about one of the Catholic "saints"? Of course, they focus on all his "good works" because that is part of the Catholic religion, working your way to Heaven. Filling people's heads with more paganism is not going to make them more dedicated to Christ and His Word.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It isn't relevant that he was adopted by the catholics as a saint what is relevant is that he was a real person who was by all evidence of the fruit he presented "saved" and did good works because he was saved. Their is nothing in the historical facts to indicate that he said anything about works get you to heaven. The catholics can adopt you as a saint after your death, does that then make your testamony meaningless or less historically factual because you are labeled something after death. If you are generous and charitable does that mean if someone looks at your record in a few hundred years that they can say you taught works got you to heaven?

C

• Members
Why raise them on lies? Do you teach them about the tooth fairy and the easter bunny too?

The tooth fairy, yes. The Easter Bunny, no.

The Bible teaches the believer is not to use guile, not to bear false witness, not to deceive others - but yet, when it comes to our children, somehow it is justified...

I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. We just don't believe that encouraging children to use their imaginations is decieving them or bearing false witness against anybody.

If you do, then by all means, don't allow your children to imagine.

• Members

For the sake of the argument, let's say there was no one whose faith in Jesus was ever affected due to believing in falsehoods as a child - does that still mean it is okay to tell those falsehoods to children? Not according to the Bible.

I never said we should teach falsehoods. I did mention our youngest one likes to PRETEND there is a Santa just like he likes to PRETEND he's shooting Yankees in the back yard sometimes.

• Members

Well, depending upon what day of the week it is, he might be shooting Japanese in the jungle or Indians across the plains, or Mexicans outside the Alamo, or Redcoats as he serves under General Washington.

On other days he's a contruction worker building roads. Sometimes he's a policeman chasing crooks. He's been known to be an astronaut as well.

It's good to have an imagination. Even more so when one learns history along the way.

• Members

I'm sorry, ya'll, but I just really don't think that God is sitting around in Heaven pointing lightening bolts at people who allow their children to believe in Santa Claus! OR the Easter bunny and tooth fairy, for that matter. I'm probably about to make some people mad, and if I do, I hope they'll forgive me, but I just have to say this...GET OVER IT ALREADY! :bonK:

• Members
I'm sorry' date=' ya'll, but I just really don't think that God is sitting around in Heaven pointing lightening bolts at people who allow their children to believe in Santa Claus! OR the Easter bunny and tooth fairy, for that matter. I'm probably about to make some people mad, and if I do, I hope they'll forgive me, but I just have to say this...GET OVER IT ALREADY! :bonk:[/quote']

I agree

• Members
It isn't relevant that he was adopted by the catholics as a saint what is relevant is that he was a real person who was by all evidence of the fruit he presented "saved" and did good works because he was saved.

Then why not quote a historical article, instead of one teaching Catholic doctrine about this character? Besides, what proof do you have he wasn't a Catholic? What sources out there teach about him - apart from the RC church?

• Members
I'm sorry' date=' ya'll, but I just really don't think that God is sitting around in Heaven pointing lightening bolts at people who allow their children to believe in Santa Claus! OR the Easter bunny and tooth fairy, for that matter. I'm probably about to make some people mad, and if I do, I hope they'll forgive me, but I just have to say this...GET OVER IT ALREADY! :bonk:[/quote']

For one: no one said what you are stating.

Second: I think what the Bible teaches is pretty important - don't you? And it is the Bible that teaches us not to use any kind of deception or guile in our lives, when speaking to others, etc. So how does it make it okay to teach our children falsehoods? How many times did Jesus rebuke the Pharisees for their traditions that contradicted the Word of God?

• Members
I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. We just don't believe that encouraging children to use their imaginations is decieving them or bearing false witness against anybody.

If you do, then by all means, don't allow your children to imagine.

As already stated in my posts, my problem was not in having or using our imaginations, but in believing falsehoods. A child can pretend something without believing it is real, but you stated this:

we've always allowed our children to believe in Santa Claus... [and] The tooth fairy.

The Bible teaches we are only to teach our families truth - not lies, not traditions based on lies. What's the harm? As has already been stated by someone else, what is taught about Santa Claus actually quite clearly imitates the Lord Jesus Christ - and you don't think God would be bothered by teaching this to your children?

• Members

For one: no one said what you are stating.

Second: I think what the Bible teaches is pretty important - don't you? And it is the Bible that teaches us not to use any kind of deception or guile in our lives, when speaking to others, etc. So how does it make it okay to teach our children falsehoods? How many times did Jesus rebuke the Pharisees for their traditions that contradicted the Word of God?

• Members
So what? If God decides that He doesn't want me to do that anymore' date=' He is perfectly capable of convicting me of it. Until then, you believe what you want, and we'll keep doing the Santa thing.[/quote']

Whatever happened to the Bible being the believer's sole authority for life and faith?

I guess what bugs me most is that people who have the opprtunity to raise their children on the Word of God - instead of traditions and philosophies of men - still choose the myths and lies of the world - perhaps mix a bit of Bible in there too to balance it out.

I came out of Catholicism with its traditions and its lies, came out of an evolution-based school system teaching evolution and myths and psychology, so I can't fathom willingly going back into deception, even "for fun".

I don't know you, Tabsmom, or how long you have been saved and how long you have been reading and studying the Bible. But for those who know God's Word fairly well, I cannot understand why they would choose the lies of the world over God's truth WHEN THEY HAVE A CHOICE. I feel very strongly about this because of all the lies and deception I came out of.