• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Letters from Santa

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lieing isn't cute, it's an abomination.

Prov 6:16,17
16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Lieing is a serious offense.

Telling children that santa is real is a lie. That one lie is so serious that one would deserve an eternity in hell just for doing that.

The more accurate terms instead of "I just found the cutest things!!" would be:

"I just found the most awful thing."

Please repent of this wickedness.

• Members

Tabsmom is new here, lets try to be understanding!

Tab, most of us here don't teach our children about Santa Claus. We feel that if we teach them that Santa is real, and then they later realize he isn't...they will feel Jesus is also a myth. Also we teach them that Jesus is the "reason for the season" rather than Santa Claus.

However it was thoughtful of you to post the link as there are many posters here with young children and although we probably will not use the link, we appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

• Members
Tabsmom is new here, lets try to be understanding!

Tab, most of us here don't teach our children about Santa Claus. We feel that if we teach them that Santa is real, and then they later realize he isn't...they will feel Jesus is also a myth. Also we teach them that Jesus is the "reason for the season" rather than Santa Claus.

However it was thoughtful of you to post the link as there are many posters here with young children and although we probably will not use the link, we appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Can't say it enough.
Have a wonderful Christmas! :lol

• Members

Seasoning is sorely lacking among some.

I've never worried that a child might confuse Santa and Jesus and have thus far never encountered anyone who had trouble believing in Jesus because they were told there was a Santa when they were young.

Of course, that's not to say it couldn't happen and I have no problem with those who prefer to be cautious in this area.

Our youngest enjoys the fun of pretending there is a Santa and he knows that Jesus is real and has never made any false connections between the pretend Santa and our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

• Members

Well could you expound exactly what that means and to what consistency?

This is how I would preach to the heathen with these kinds of words, straight-forward, understandable and to the point. Is this wrong?

I do not want to be watered-down and being a man-pleaser in my words.

Romans 16:18
For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Gal 1:10
For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

Or is this wrong only because it may be taken offensively?

I didn't do any name-calling in my words. I just stated the truth.

Please expound to me so I can understand this further. I am looking for consistency, please be specific.

If I am wrong I desire to be corrected.

Sean, I don't think anyone here would disagree with you that we don't need to be men-pleasers... but we also need to be nice to those who are new. Some people who join this site aren't totally IFB, and may not have the same convictions you or anyone else has. If we all responded to the newbies the way you did in your first post in this topic, many of them would probably never return.

The way you're talking would be totally appropriate if someone came on here with an antagonistic attitude about the "Santa Claus" thing, and was trying to tell everyone that we're abusing children by not letting them believe in Santa or something stupid like that. If someone honestly doesn't know it's wrong to let kids fantasize about Santa... they just need us to gently show them the truth. :smile

• Members

I agree with you post Kathie, but for me, I don't care whether they're new or not. Christians are not supposed to be short and abrupt with other Christians. We will never get anywhere with people by being rude or unkind. Seasoned with salt and with grace means that we are gracious and kind, not rude. So many Christians think that in order to remain uncompromising, we have to go the opposite direction. Balance, in my opinion, is the best alternative. You don't have to be a men pleaser in order to be kind. What about "speaking the truth in love." That's what the Bible says, and that's what we should be following. Using the law to convict of sin is fine as long as the Holy Spirit does the convicting. We should not be calling people fools, though. Sorry, I went off topic, but I get really frustrated when people use Bible verses as an excuse to be offensive.

I agree with you post Kathie' date=' but for me, I don't care whether they're new or not. Christians are not supposed to be short and abrupt with other Christians. We will never get anywhere with people by being rude or unkind. Seasoned with salt and with grace means that we are gracious and kind, not rude. So many Christians think that in order to remain uncompromising, we have to go the opposite direction. Balance, in my opinion, is the best alternative. You don't have to be a men pleaser in order to be kind. What about "speaking the truth in love." That's what the Bible says, and that's what we should be following. Using the law to convict of sin is fine as long as the Holy Spirit does the convicting. We should not be calling people fools, though. Sorry, I went off topic, but I get really frustrated when people use Bible verses as an excuse to be offensive.[/quote']

I agree with you. I think the exception would be if someone's being rude, then it would be ok to just blast them with Scripture (if you're letting the Bible make all the cutting remarks, and leave your own opinion out of it... it can still be pretty powerful!). If the person still ignores all Scripture presented, then he's worthless to argue with anyway, and we should "answer not a fool according to his folly".

We really need to learn from Jesus Christ's example. He was kind to sinners who were all messed up, but weren't trying to lead anyone astray intentionally. He was bold and straightforward with the Pharisees who WERE trying to lead people astray (but He was kind to Nicodemus, a Pharisee who was seeking the truth).

• Members
I agree with you post Kathie' date=' but for me, I don't care whether they're new or not. Christians are not supposed to be short and abrupt with other Christians. We will never get anywhere with people by being rude or unkind. Seasoned with salt and with grace means that we are gracious and kind, not rude. So many Christians think that in order to remain uncompromising, we have to go the opposite direction. Balance, in my opinion, is the best alternative. You don't have to be a men pleaser in order to be kind. What about "speaking the truth in love." That's what the Bible says, and that's what we should be following. Using the law to convict of sin is fine as long as the Holy Spirit does the convicting. We should not be calling people fools, though. Sorry, I went off topic, but I get really frustrated when people use Bible verses as an excuse to be offensive.[/quote']

:amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen::amen: AND :amen:

• Members

Wow. Didn't mean to start anything. I believed in Santa when I was a kid. And I believe in Jesus. And I would have loved getting a letter from Santa. And if you all could have seen my little girl's face when she read her's, well, you'd understand why I did this. She'll eventually figure out Who is real and who isn't. But in the meantime, can't she believe in both of them?

• Members

I struggled with this to Tabsmom. Before I was saved I did tell my son about Santa Claus and we did the letters and put out milk and cookies even. My daughter was 2 months old when I was saved and I really had to think about the Santa issue. I decided not to promote this and have told her that Santa is not real. The reason I did this was because I felt that Santa was taking away from what I wanted us to celebrate and that was the birth of Jesus. A lot of people in my family even got angry with me about this. My father went as far as calling me stupid. What I have tried to do is make this time of year a time we can do something for Jesus for His birthday. One year we got some toys and food together and brought it to a needy family. We have also gone Christmas caroling at a nursing home .I also make a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas day. I understand having grown up believing in Santa and doing that with my son where you are coming from and know you were just trying to share something with everyone and were wanting to be helpful. This is a decision that only you can make for your family. I do wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas!