• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Independent Baptist Church

• Members

I'm currently SBC, but I do believe the KJV is the one we're supposed to use. Other than that, can you tell me why you are a member of an Indepedent Church and why you believe it's different that SBC (other than you freely give to missionaries of your choice and the autonomy? Thanks in Advance.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I'm currently SBC' date=' but I do believe the KJV is the one we're supposed to use. Other than that, can you tell me why you are a member of an Indepedent Church and why you believe it's different that SBC (other than you freely give to missionaries of your choice and the autonomy? Thanks in Advance.[/quote']
Autonomy is the biggie. (IMO) It affects everything... from a swaying to "conservative" to "liberal", etc... instead of just "BIBLICAL".

Separation of church and state would be another biggie, I think. SBC is pretty political, embracing things like "The Moral Majority", etc.

Then there is the "two offices" Pastor and Deacon. I know that theoretically that the SBC believe in that, but when you throw in the hierarchy of "messengers", and people who work in various management/parachurch organizations that have a voice in the general assembly, it really expands the "two offices" aspects of the historical baptist.

Minor (as in, it varies by the churches I think) is the authority of scriptures.

Those are just quick off the top of my head, and I am sure some will think of other things or disagree with what I stated.

There are a lot of things I LIKE about the SBC too... maybe we should start one of those threads.

• Members
Autonomy is the biggie. (IMO) It affects everything... from a swaying to "conservative" to "liberal", etc... instead of just "BIBLICAL".

Separation of church and state would be another biggie, I think. SBC is pretty political, embracing things like "The Moral Majority", etc.
I agree the Autonomy aspect hooked me quick.

Namely, how my children are taught. Now they are taught strictly from the scripture in SS. They don't outsource (receive curriculum from other sources).
and
Obviously the political aspects as well.

• Members
Surely, you're not advocating that Baptists should stay out of the political arena. Are you referring to the SBC as a denomination being involved in politics?

Mitch

I am talking about big guys in the SBC preaching candidates from their pulpits.

I don't think that preaching politics or politicians is appropriate for the IFB church and historical baptists didn't either.

• Members

I disagree about the politics, I'm of the opinion that it's because of the lack of pulpits telling the congregations about the politicians and gov't that they (gov't) have been allowed to reduce the moral standard in this country to such a low level.

And historically some baptists have been very active in Gov't: It was because of a baptist preachers influence over Madison that we have the first admendment to the constitution.

C

• Members

I don't preach against personalities nor purely political acts. However, I do preach about moral issues that enter the political arena, such as abortion and sodomite marriage. But I don't preach on whether the United States should have a trade agreement with China.

Mitch

• Members
I disagree about the politics, I'm of the opinion that it's because of the lack of pulpits telling the congregations about the politicians and gov't that they (gov't) have been allowed to reduce the moral standard in this country to such a low level.

And historically some baptists have been very active in Gov't: It was because of a baptist preachers influence over Madison that we have the first admendment to the constitution.

C

No, it's because he observed a baptist churches government that he was attending... not because he was "involved in the government".

• Members
I don't preach against personalities nor purely political acts. However, I do preach about moral issues that enter the political arena, such as abortion and sodomite marriage. But I don't preach on whether the United States should have a trade agreement with China.

Mitch

Those are preaching the Bible... that's not politics.

Preaching that we need to support the GOP is an abomination... or the Dems for that matter (even greater abomination).

• Members
No' date=' it's because he observed a baptist churches government that he was attending... not because he was "involved in the government".[/quote']

It's because Madison witnessed him being held in Stocks for standing against the Gov't that was controlled by the Church of England. And because of that and other incidents he witnessed and his friendship with him that the first ammendment was add to protect those freedoms.

• Members

Autonomy.
Pastors are salaried positions many times. Pastors are moved by internal politics, ranking and a general pecking order.
Women can be ordained in the SBC.
Missions giving is superfluous in that it is all lumped together and the local church has no say in whom, what or where.
But mostly the un biblical governing style in existence in and over the SBC.

God bless,

Calvary