• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Water Boarding: Is it justified?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

The principle is the same.

Not really.

In a much earlier post, I mentioned the kings and their toes...here it is:

But Adonibezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.And Adonibezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered their meat under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.
Judges 1:6,7

There are times when extreme measures are necessary. War time is one.

• Members
Umm' date=' you don't think having your toes and thumbs cut off would be torture? This king considered it retribution from God. I consider waterboarding the same type of thing...if they weren't out to kill us, we wouldn't need to do it.[/quote']

Retribution and torture are two different things.

• Administrators

Okay, John, tell me that it wouldn't be torture to you to have your toes and thumbs cut off...even if it were retribution. If the human rights organizations that exist today existed back then, there would have been an uprising against such torture against that poor king who was just minding his own business before those Israelites invaded his country just because their God told them to clear them all out.

Again - I look at waterboarding in the same manner. The jihadists have killed many of ours...and would kill all of us on this board today if they could. I think waterboarding for information is retribution for their deeds. If the info saves American lives (and it has), it's worth it.

• Members
It could be a lot worse like in the Bible ' date='when they took over a whole city and killed everyone and everything .[/quote']

That's not torture.

If you recall, God specifically commanded the Israelites to exterminate certain peoples as their just punishment from Him. Other peoples the Israelites encountered, God gave other instructions for.

In any event, killing your enemies in war is not torture.

• Members
All things are in God's hands and prayer is always appropriate. Nowhere in Scripture are we told it's okay to act cruelly towards another "for a good reason."

Should pro-life people round up the abortion doctors and torture them until they agree not to murder a million babies a year?

David killed Goliath was that wrong?