• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Caffeine.

Caffeine  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Caffeine

• I don't use it, because it's a drug.
    • I use caffeine and it's not a problem for me.
    • Caffeine can be abused but in moderation it's ok.
    • I think churches that serve coffee are hypocrites.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Here is my point: in the Bible the idea is plainly taught that a person cannot be controlled by "wine" and the Holy Spirit simultaneously; I believe that is the "spirit of the law" and therefore the principle we can derive from the Bible. The use of a substance becomes sinful when it takes control of the believer away from the Holy Spirit. The use of alcohol, THC, LSD, marijuana, cocaine, and a plethora of other mind-altering drugs is sin against God for this reason. As far as I know, caffeine doesn't have the same effect on people. I rarely drink coffee or eat chocolate or consume much of anything that I know of that contains caffeine nor do I really care or purposely avoid it.

God's word teaches us another principle, namely that it is not what enters the body that defiles it; it is what comes out, often specifically what comes out of the mouth.(Mark 7:20; James 3:6 ; Rev. 21:27)

I don't really understand your last line unless you are trying to say because I agree with you that what "came out" wasn't appropriate... but I am sure you will elucidate that.

Chemically speaking caffeine does indeed affect people in adverse ways, it's a psychoactive stimulant. It usually a matter of dosage (perhaps you've seen .357 Magnum caffeine pills, etc.) and people ability to metabolize it that determines it's affect on people.

Caffeine's effect on spiders, as illustrated by their web:
Caffeinated_spiderwebs.jpg

Caffeine intoxication is indeed possible, I will leave it to you to determine if you want to research it.

My point is (and I drink coffee) that there ARE Christians who believe that caffeine is wrong, but the vast majority think it's ok in moderation... Are we double-minded on this issue?

For fun, any of you who are interested in the spider webs... you can check out this site: http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

• Members

I don't really understand your last line unless you are trying to say because I agree with you that what "came out" wasn't appropriate... but I am sure you will elucidate that.

Chemically speaking caffeine does indeed affect people in adverse ways, it's a psychoactive stimulant. It usually a matter of dosage (perhaps you've seen .357 Magnum caffeine pills, etc.) and people ability to metabolize it that determines it's affect on people.

Caffeine's effect on spiders, as illustrated by their web:
Caffeinated_spiderwebs.jpg

Caffeine intoxication is indeed possible, I will leave it to you to determine if you want to research it.

My point is (and I drink coffee) that there ARE Christians who believe that caffeine is wrong, but the vast majority think it's ok in moderation... Are we double-minded on this issue?

For fun, any of you who are interested in the spider webs... you can check out this site: http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

I was only saying that we shouldn't put every chemical in existence on the same level as the chemicals that have the same effect as alcohol. Every chemical in varying doses can be detrimental or helpful.

The only reason I put the last sentence on there was a reminder that the evil we produce as Christians is what is defiling to our bodies; not necessarily what we consume. We sin against ourselves. I was not implying anything else. :smile

I don't think we are double-minded on the issue. Unless you can show me where I am wrong, I drew the line of distinction that the Bible drew for us in the New Testament concerning the principle that guides us in determining which chemicals are not okay for Christians to endulge in: chemicals whose power usurps the power of the individual to submit to the control of the Holy Spirit.

Just as a side note: People aren't spiders. :lol:

• Members

Did you see that California lawmakers are doing a study to see if they should classify caffeine as a toxin and place warning lables on certain drinks containing caffeine?

Oddly enough, even though coffee and tea both have more caffeine than the average soda, warning lables wouldn't apply to them because their caffeine comes naturally.

All of this even though scientific evidence shows no danger from moderate caffeine usage.