• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The chastening of the Lord

Maxmya

• Members

Hebrews 12:5-11 says, "And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but He for our profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous; nevertheless unto them which are exercised thereby."

The above verses indicate what happens to a child of God who continues to sin after he/she becomes a child of God. The Lord deals with that child as a good earthly father does with his child; therefore, that child gets a good spanking! The Lord disciplines His children because He loves them, and those who are not disciplined by Him are not His children! God loves and disciplines His own children!

:amen: :amen:

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Thanks for the reminder.
What would be the issue you wish to discuss in order to take this further than "God spanks us when we are bad little boys and girls"?

How about the loss of "rewards" at the Judgment Seat of Christ?

• Members
The above verses indicate what happens to a child of God who continues to sin after he/she becomes a child of God. The Lord deals with that child as a good earthly father does with his child; therefore, that child gets a good spanking! The Lord disciplines His children because He loves them, and those who are not disciplined by Him are not His children! God loves and disciplines His own children!

Folks say that "once saved always saved" is a "license to sin". But these verses right here prove that if you are really God's child, you don't get by with it.
I will always be the son of my earthly father...that cannot be changed.
It's the same with my Heavenly Father....I am His child and though he has to "spank" me, I'm still always going to be His.

• Members

I think its also the sensitive "conscience" that is partially the "spanking". You can lie before salvation with no bad feelings, but lying aftewards (hopefully) makes you feel terrible.

I used to think chastening was some kind of tangible punishment (you get in a car wreck, you lose money, etc) and that can happen, but I think on a daily basis its an inner "chastisement" more so than physical things.

• Members
I think its also the sensitive "conscience" that is partially the "spanking". You can lie before salvation with no bad feelings, but lying aftewards (hopefully) makes you feel terrible.

I used to think chastening was some kind of tangible punishment (you get in a car wreck, you lose money, etc) and that can happen, but I think on a daily basis its an inner "chastisement" more so than physical things.

I would think the Bible bears that out and takes it even further into instruction and teaching.

These verses below all use the same word as found in: Hebrews 12:6 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth , and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth .

Luke 23:16 16 I will therefore chastise him, and release him.

Luke 23:22 22 And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath he done? I have found no cause of death in him: I will therefore chastise him, and let him go.

Acts 7:22 22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.

Acts 22:3 3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

1 Corinthians 11:32 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

2 Corinthians 6:9 9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;

1 Timothy 1:20 20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

2 Timothy 2:25 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Titus 2:12 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Hebrews 12:6 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Hebrews 12:7 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

Hebrews 12:10 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Revelation 3:19 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

• Members

Yep, that's happened to me.