• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women being pastors Should they really?

• Members

[quote="chev1958"][quote]As I think Jerry8 pointed out, women can't be the husbands of wives!!![/quote]Well, not yet anyway. When our culture accepts same-sex marriage, then this qualification will no longer apply. After all, according to the PCF, Scripture addresses cultural issues.[/quote]

I'm still wondering how this is going to apply when they start cloning humans and remove or change the gender gene when they do it!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote="HappyChristian"]What did she preach? That she controlled the congregation - could come into their homes anytime she wanted to check things out and make sure they were living how SHE said they should. And other things like that.[/quote]

So, how is that different than what 70% of today's male IFB pastors do?

• Administrators

[quote="trc123"][quote="HappyChristian"]What did she preach? That she controlled the congregation - could come into their homes anytime she wanted to check things out and make sure they were living how SHE said they should. And other things like that.[/quote]

So, how is that different than what 70% of today's male IFB pastors do?[/quote]

Well, I've been to a lot of IFB churches, and I've only heard one say he had the right to enter my home...and that was a man who pastored a church where we worked. It wasn't from the pulpit, it was to my face. My hubby wasn't there, but he just grinned and said "Let 'im try."

I know that there are many IFB preachers who try to control lives - but I really don't think it's 70%. Could that be hyperbole or do you have stats for it?

[quote="HappyChristian"][quote="trc123"][quote="HappyChristian"]What did she preach? That she controlled the congregation - could come into their homes anytime she wanted to check things out and make sure they were living how SHE said they should. And other things like that.[/quote]

So, how is that different than what 70% of today's male IFB pastors do?[/quote]

Well, I've been to a lot of IFB churches, and I've only heard one say he had the right to enter my home...and that was a man who pastored a church where we worked. It wasn't from the pulpit, it was to my face. My hubby wasn't there, but he just grinned and said "Let 'im try."

I know that there are many IFB preachers who try to control lives - but I really don't think it's 70%. Could that be hyperbole or do you have stats for it?[/quote]

LOL, LuAnne. I have never heard 70%, either. In fact, I was oblivious to politics and the Bible until I came on here. I have learned so much. Thank you. :thumb

• Members

LOL, LuAnne. I have never heard 70%, either. In fact, I was oblivious to politics and the Bible until I came on here. I have learned so much. Thank you. :thumb

I have not stats whatsoever and yes, it was meant to get your attention. While most IFB pastors really wouldn't claim a right to come into your home in that way; they sure do claim the right to control your life in many other ways that are more subtle, but just as invasive in my opinion. I refuse to be a part of that any longer.....

• Administrators

I have not stats whatsoever and yes, it was meant to get your attention. While most IFB pastors really wouldn't claim a right to come into your home in that way; they sure do claim the right to control your life in many other ways that are more subtle, but just as invasive in my opinion. I refuse to be a part of that any longer.....

Yes, may do try to control people's lives. And that is wrong...husbands are the priests of their homes and set the standard from the Bible. But, really, what this woman preached is nothing like that. The sample I gave was small, and I could go into other details but won't. It was just a reference point for some things my grandpa didn't like.

I have only been to 2 IFB churches. The other church was like a small "military" IFB church...my old IFB pastor was an ex-Marine. hehe. However, he did have this very soft side to him that was wonderful. It was a nice blend. I learned so much, there...and, I know that the Lord placed me in that church for a reason. :smile It was my foundation. Now that I am in a Missionary teaching/preaching church...the Lord is blessing me more and more. I like to call it "God's perfect Will for my life".

:hijack: OB is my connection to the outside world. This board has been a huge blessing to me and my hubby. :smile

trc...I would just continue to pray as I know you have been doing...to see where the Lord would direct you to go. You can always use my church if you like the preaching for awhile until the Lord speaks to your heart. Like I said before...you won't get the full effect, but it might be helpful. Just a thought. :wave:

• Members
I have only been to 2 IFB churches. The other church was like a small "military" IFB church...my old IFB pastor was an ex-Marine. hehe. However, he did have this very soft side to him that was wonderful. It was a nice blend. I learned so much, there...and, I know that the Lord placed me in that church for a reason. :smile It was my foundation. Now that I am in a Missionary teaching/preaching church...the Lord is blessing me more and more. I like to call it "God's perfect Will for my life".

:hijack: OB is my connection to the outside world. This board has been a huge blessing to me and my hubby. :smile

trc...I would just continue to pray as I know you have been doing...to see where the Lord would direct you to go. You can always use my church if you like the preaching for awhile until the Lord speaks to your heart. Like I said before...you won't get the full effect, but it might be helpful. Just a thought. :wave:

Thank you and I have been downloading your churches sermons and listen to them every day going to and from work! Very big blessing and challenging in my Christian walk at the same time. Thank you!

• Members

I went back over this thread and noted all the scriptures and it is of course very clear that God says a "pastor" is to be the husband of one wife and a woman is not to usurp authority over a man in the Church.

What are your thoughts (Scripture reference is appreciated) about a woman being an Evangelist? What is the difference in God's eyes between a woman not being a Pastor, but possibly an Evangelist?

Thank you,

TRC

• Members

Whoa, ten pages on this?

The Bible pretty much says women are not to teach men, not to speak in church (in front of men, to teach) nor are they to be pastors.

I guess I didnt' read the thread...whats the huge debate?

[quote="trc123"][quote="candlelight"]I have only been to 2 IFB churches. The other church was like a small "military" IFB church...my old IFB pastor was an ex-Marine. hehe. However, he did have this very soft side to him that was wonderful. It was a nice blend. I learned so much, there...and, I know that the Lord placed me in that church for a reason. :smile It was my foundation. Now that I am in a Missionary teaching/preaching church...the Lord is blessing me more and more. I like to call it "God's perfect Will for my life".

trc...I would just continue to pray as I know you have been doing...to see where the Lord would direct you to go. You can always use my church if you like the preaching for awhile until the Lord speaks to your heart. Like I said before...you won't get the full effect, but it might be helpful. Just a thought. :wave:[/quote]

Thank you and I have been downloading your churches sermons and listen to them every day going to and from work! Very big blessing and challenging in my Christian walk at the same time. Thank you![/quote]

That is wonderful! Well...my pastor has been back preaching after his knee surgery...he wasn't gone that long. hehe. You know, you can't keep a good man down. :smile The sermons are VERY challenging. I thank God for this church in our lives. :amen:

• Members

Well, even though many churches today let women be Pastors it still goes against scrpiture. No where in the Word of God does God give even the slightest hint that women can be pastors or deacons for that matter. When we read these passages:

1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. (1Timothy 3:1-7)

Where does one see the word women, ladies, sisters girls, or females. Now one may say as does my sister, that by the way, goes to a liberal church, that God meant mankind in general and that he didn't mean "men" and that God was using the word man/men generically. Well to believe that means one has to assume that the God of Heaven isn't capable of saying just what He means and capable of having the men HE chose to pen down the words He wanted there.
Now I have no problem with the ladies being leaders within the local assembly in many areas, but not pastor or deacon and ladies are not to have the authority over men within the local assembly, and let's face it, in many instances if it weren't for the ladies then we may as well shut the doors and go home cause many things would not get done.

Also in the Word of God the position of headship is always given to the man whether in the family setting or church. All through the Bible it was men that were given the leadership roll. I am sorry to say that today there aren't many real men left who are willing to take their roles as leaders and husbands within the home, let alone the church and that my friends is so sad.

So to be Biblically correct when the above verses say men it means exactly what it says. If I may add one more thing, when a woman can be the husband of one wife let me know for that is impossible, unless you read a liberal, gender free translation and that in itself is unbiblical.
wellglory!