• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What doctrines do other churches practice

• Members

II was asked these questions twice yesterday and thought I would get some help on answering them more fully.

Which churches have Armenian doctrine (lose your salvation)?
Which churches believe you must be baptized to be saved?
Which churches have Calvinistic doctrine?

Here is what I think ...

Church of Christ ... believes you can lose your salvation and they believe that baptism is part of salvation
Catholics believe that baptism is salvation (not sure)
Nazarene believe you can lose your salvation
Episcopal believe that baptism is salvation (not sure)
Presbyterian is Calvinist
Landmark Baptist is Calvinist
MIssionary Baptist is Calvinist (5 point)
Lutheran baptism is an integral part not sure if it is tied to salvation
Methodist (Not sure)
Seventh day Baptist (not sure)
SBC each church must be looked at separately some are Calvinistic and some are fundamental in their beliefs yet neo-evangelical in their practice.

Can you help in completing this list? Please identify clearly if what you post is what you think or what you know for a fact.

Thank you
orvals

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
II was asked these questions twice yesterday and thought I would get some help on answering them more fully.

Which churches have Armenian doctrine (lose your salvation)?
Which churches believe you must be baptized to be saved?
Which churches have Calvinistic doctrine?

Here is what I think ...

Church of Christ ... believes you can lose your salvation and they believe that baptism is part of salvation

Catholics believe that baptism is salvation (not sure)

Nazarene believe you can lose your salvation
Episcopal believe that baptism is salvation (not sure)
Presbyterian is Calvinist
Landmark Baptist is Calvinist
Free will Baptist is Calvinist (5 point)

Lutheran baptism is an integral part not sure if it is tied to salvation
Methodist (Not sure)
Seventh day Baptist (not sure)
SBC each church must be looked at separately some are Calvinistic and some are fundamental in their beliefs yet neo-evangelical in their practice.

Can you help in completing this list? Please identify clearly if what you post is what you think or what you know for a fact.

Thank you
orvals

Interesting questions but, answers should be on line at church websites.

• Members

You are correct Dave. I could visit lots of sites and do lots of reading but still not have clear definitions of the doctrines of salvation expressed by other churches. That is why I am asking for info from those who would know from personal experience or have studied a particular group or come out from a particular church affiliation.

This no only enlightens me but allows other to have this information as well.

Orvals

• Members
Free will Baptists believe you can lose your salvation.

Seventh Day Baptists believe basically the same as IFB's, only they believe in Saturday worship.

Happy Christian,

As Calvinists how is it that Free Will Baptist do not believe the perseverance of the saints? Is this just the congregation you are familiar with or am I missing something?

Orvals

• Members
You are correct Dave. I could visit lots of sites and do lots of reading but still not have clear definitions of the doctrines of salvation expressed by other churches. That is why I am asking for info from those who would know from personal experience or have studied a particular group or come out from a particular church affiliation.

This no only enlightens me but allows other to have this information as well.

Orvals

Sorry, I was too hasty, I meant...

Interesting question, we could find some answers on their church websites in their statement of faith and doctrines.

Better?

• Administrators

Happy Christian,

As Calvinists how is it that Free Will Baptist do not believe the perseverance of the saints? Is this just the congregation you are familiar with or am I missing something?

Orvals

I have known some Free Will Baptists - and none of them were Calvanists. I know Wiki isn't all that reliable, but here is the first paragraph about FWB's:
Free Will Baptist is a denomination of churches that share a common history, name, and an acceptance of the Arminian theology of free grace, free salvation, and free will, based on the idea of general atonement. Free Will Baptists share similar soteriological views with General Baptists, Separate Baptists and some United Baptists. The autonomous power of the local church is highly valued. The denomination remains relatively rural and is especially strong in the southern United States.

From a Free Will Baptist:
wow, that's really not what Free Will Baptists believe at all, I would know, being one myself. That's a biased and warped interpretation of Free Will Baptist doctrine. We do not promote salvation by works. A direct quote from the link provided: "It is a salvation by grace alone and not of works."
We are called Free Will Baptists because we believe in "free will, free grace, and free salvation." Because man has the free will to choose to respond to God's call and repent and be saved, we also believe man can choose to turn away from God. Was not Judas one of Christ's followers, who chose to turn away? and for a post-resurrection example, try I Timothy 1:19-20, where Paul mentions those that made "ship-wreck" of their faith. Free Will Baptists separated from Baptists because we would not subscribe to the doctrine of "eternal security" that salvation, once received, could never be forfeited, no matter what the person did. While we do not believe that committing a sin forfeits your salvation, we believe it is possible for a person to turn their back on their faith, by returning to a sinful lifestyle. It is a choice they make, not God "withdrawing their salvation." And I don't think that (or hope that it's not) this is often the case. We believe it is an important point however, because believers should not think their actions are irrelevant to their faith. As James wrote "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." James 2:17
(I don't know what he was replying to...the first sentence is not in response to anything on this site)
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Baptists-954/f_4011253.htm

• Members

I have known some Free Will Baptists - and none of them were Calvanists. I know Wiki isn't all that reliable, but here is the first paragraph about FWB's:

From a Free Will Baptist: (I don't know what he was replying to...the first sentence is not in response to anything on this site)
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Baptists-954/f_4011253.htm

I am so sorry. I went back and looked at my notes again and found I had confused Missionary Baptist with Free will Baptist forgive me please. I will edit my original post to reflect this change.

Orvals

• Administrators

I am so sorry. I went back and looked at my notes again and found I had confused Missionary Baptist with Free will Baptist forgive me please. I will edit my original post to reflect this change.

Orvals

That's fine - no apologies necessary!!! I didn't know that Missionary Baptist was Calvanist. Thanks for the info you've posted.

• Members
Episcopal is Anglican and one of the basic tenants of Anglicanism is that salvation comes by grace through faith. Baptism has nothing to do with salvation.

ptwild,

I am not seeking conflict but must respectfully disagree with your statement. The following statements are taken from the Anglican Catchesim.

Q. What is Holy Baptism?
A. Holy Baptism is the sacrament by which God adopts us as his children and makes us members of Christ's Body, the Church, and inheritors of the kingdom of God.

Q. What is the inward and spiritual grace in Baptism?
A. The inward and spiritual grace in Baptism is union with Christ in his death and resurrection, birth into God's family the Church, forgiveness of sins, and new life in the Holy Spirit.

These last four are taken in unison...

Q. What is the significance of Jesus' resurrection?
A. By his resurrection, Jesus overcame death and opened for us the way of eternal life.

Q. What do we mean when we say that he descended to the dead?
A. We mean that he went to the departed and offered them also the benefits of redemption.

Q. What do we mean when we say that he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father?
A. We mean that Jesus took our human nature into heaven where he now reigns with the Father and intercedes for us.

Q. How can we share in his victory over sin, suffering, and death?
A. We share in his victory when we are baptized into the New Covenant and become living members of Christ.

The catechism is found at this link

http://anglicansonline.org/basics/catec ... 20Covenant

Orvals

• Members

The Anglican church has at times been Roman Catholic, Protestant and Calvinist. The liturgy and traditions, use of the AV and Book of Common Prayer, may be common to many Anglican churches, but the doctrine can be anything, depending on how a given church has evolved and what part of the country it is in.

In fact, over here in the UK, I've not found two Baptist churches that are alike. I've been to at least two that are traditional, Baptist and reformed and others that are very 'liberal'.

• Members

Free Presbyterian (not to be confused with mainline Presbyterian) is a fundemental church which preaches the Gospel. They have a couple of different ideals, such as believing women should wear hats as the head covering, etc...

I used to attend a Free Pres church. The preaching is very good there. I now attend an Independent Baptist church.

Some people would say they are Calvinist, but the Free Pres. Church I attended preached "whosoever will" not election...(although we have to accept that the Bible speaks about election AND the "whosoever wills")