• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sunday worship or Saturday

• Members

Since Hambone does not seem to know how to start a thread I will start it for him and move my answer from another thread to here.

The question seems to be why do we worship on Sunday and not the Saturday?

Hambone,

John 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Twice we read that the disciples assembled on the first day of the week and lastly we are told that they gave to the Lord on the first day of the week. If you want to worship on Saturday that is fine with me go for it.

orvals

• Members

Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded?? in his own mind.

I think there's plenty of scriptural support for how the tradition of Sunday worship started, but I find no scripture commanding one day over another to be established as a day of worship. Christ is worthy of every day to be his day of worship. Why should one day matter over another? Fighting over Sunday vs Saturday (or any other day of the week) is like road crews fighting over which single pothole to patch in Michigan. There's plenty to choose from, fill the pothole (or potholes) you feel you can and should fill. :)

• Members

And I agree with your statement, but there are always those who err in the SDA influence and see anything by Saturday worship as apostacy. Crazy. SDA teaches that Sunday worship "is" the mark of the beast. I can have grace for someone who wants to meet on Saturday (even though I'd be a solidly convinced Sundayite. :lol ) unless they have some ill interpretation like the SDA and other Sabboth keeper groups.

Kubel,
What an excellent observation!

Without a clear day signified for the New Testament Christian to observe worship of God leaves us one option.

Everyday! God wants our worship everyday. So now, we don't have to feel boxed in and can let our selves out of the shell and worship God every day for the rest of our lives. Yes, for eternity.

I will praise him...just inside the eastern gate over there.

• Members

First off you should worship God everyday of the week and there is nothing against believers getting together any or every day of the week. Having just Saturday or Sunday is purely an OT way of worshipping.

Now, that being said, Sunday seems to be the day the early NT believers set aside to worship together. I see this more along the lines a setting a day where all believers could be on the same page, set everything aside and get together. But there is no Christian "sabbath". That's nonsense. In fact, look at this verse:

Hebrews 10:25- Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Notice the verse suggests that believers should assemble together more and more ("and so much THE MORE") as the "day" (rapture or coming of Christ) approaches. Probably because of perilous times believers will need to get together more and more to support one another.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wilchbla,

re: ? ...Sunday seems to be the day the early NT believers set aside to worship together.?

Actually, as far as the Bible is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to the disciples being together on the first (day) of the week and nothing is said about rest and worship. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first.

• Members

The first century Jesus followers were Christian Jews - they continued to observe the sabbath as the Jews have always done. However the task of preaching and teaching seemed to be breaking the sabbath (the Pharisees even chastised Jesus for healing the sick on a sabbath.) The new Jesus Followers made the first day of the week the day to celebrate the resurrection of Christ - and to separate itself from the Jewish sabbath day customs. Remember the jews have a lot of strict religious laws regarding how the sabbath is to be kept (you can only travel so far, etc.).

I take the whole weekend off myself - I rest on the seventh day of the week (Saturday) and I worship on the first day of the week (Sunday) - but I live my life for Christ EVERY day of the week.

• Members

IM4given,

re: ?The new Jesus Followers made the first day of the week the day to celebrate the resurrection of Christ...?

But no NT believers are said by any scripture to have done that as Wilchbla seemed to be asserting.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Kubel,

re: “Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded?? in his own mind.”

As for Romans 14:5, the subject of the chapter from start to finish has to do with what people eat. Paul is writing about asceticism. Some in the church at Rome believed Christians should eat only vegetables. Paul calls these people “weak in the faith” (verses 1-2). The stronger in faith know they could also eat meat. Nothing in God’s law prescribes vegetarianism. The stronger in faith knew they were free from non-biblical asceticism. A part of the controversy that had sprung up between the weak and the strong Christians was the esteeming of days. In Rome some people had the pagan idea that on certain days certain foods should or should not be eaten. In this whole chapter Paul was just showing that others should not be offended, particularly weak members who have not yet learned the truth about the proper Christian diet and that they should not be judged by the stronger in the faith. This passage has nothing to do with the Sabbath.

I'm not sure what time they started but I'm wondering if everyone is ready for that preaching until midnight?

Oh yes, don't sit in an open window while your pastor preaches.

• Members

I'm not sure what time they started but I'm wondering if everyone is ready for that preaching until midnight?

Isn't it amazing how hard it seems for many to sit through a 30-60 minute sermon yet when reading of preachers of the past it seems rather often they would preach for several hours. What's more, on some occasions folks would travel for hours or days in order to hear the hours of preaching!

• Members

John Wesley expected his household to be up and attending the 5.am preaching and be in bed by 9.00 pm.

There is a man who often attends our church who also attends a Worldwide Church of God on Saturdays.