• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Misquoting Jesus" destroying the faith of Christians

• Members

Hi guys. I watched most of Bart Ehrman's videos about 'Misquoting Jesus' over at UTube and there has been some discussion going on. Most are Bible mockers of course but there are one or two other Bible believers. Anyway, this was just posted today and I thought it was highly significant. This guy is very serious. He is not joking at all and he has been posting mocking questions and critical comments about the Bible and Christianity. I've answered him a few times but only God can break through the darkness.

"And there are many of us atheists who were dedicated Christians for over 20 years before they went off to Bible College to prepare for the ministry, began studying it with even greater attention, and came to the only logical conclusion that the bible is complete bullshit. I am so happy that I did not continue wasting my life in pursuit of such a dead-end, fruitless vocation!"

As for me, by the pure grace of God, the more I watched Bart Ehrmans video the more I realized just how vitally important the King James Bible issue really is. Push the "whateverists" to the wall, and they can only come to the same conclusion Ehrman does. They do not have nor believe "the Bible" is the inspired and infallible word of God.

Ehrman?s videos were recorded at Stanford university. There are about 10 of them with each being about 9 minutes long. Here is where they begin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rucoz6vNAv4#bTwa4QFWlHM

I have read his book and written a response to it which can be found at my site here:

http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/Misquote.html

May God have mercy and call more of His people out of this overwhelming darkness that is destroying the faith of many Christians today.

God's Book - the King James Bible

Will K

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Reformed Chef: "I cooked all the time and even went to culinary school until I realized food was all a big sham. It doesn't do you any good."

Food Apologost: "Did you ever actually taste any of the food you cooked?"

Reformed Chef: "Why, no, why would I do that?"

As luducrous as that may sound, one of my sons, who used to like to cook all the time, actually refuses to taste the food while he's cooking. He's now deciding he doesn't like cooking anymore, mainly because the resulting food was so hard to get right. No matter how many times I told him he had to taste the food as he prepared it to determine whether the spices were right, he never would.

• Members
Hi guys. I watched most of Bart Ehrman's videos about 'Misquoting Jesus' over at UTube and there has been some discussion going on. Most are Bible mockers of course but there are one or two other Bible believers. Anyway, this was just posted today and I thought it was highly significant. This guy is very serious. He is not joking at all and he has been posting mocking questions and critical comments about the Bible and Christianity. I've answered him a few times but only God can break through the darkness.

"And there are many of us atheists who were dedicated Christians for over 20 years before they went off to Bible College to prepare for the ministry, began studying it with even greater attention, and came to the only logical conclusion that the bible is complete (@$#@#). I am so happy that I did not continue wasting my life in pursuit of such a dead-end, fruitless vocation!"

As for me, by the pure grace of God, the more I watched Bart Ehrmans video the more I realized just how vitally important the King James Bible issue really is. Push the "whateverists" to the wall, and they can only come to the same conclusion Ehrman does. They do not have nor believe "the Bible" is the inspired and infallible word of God.

Ehrman?s videos were recorded at Stanford university. There are about 10 of them with each being about 9 minutes long. Here is where they begin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rucoz6vNAv4#bTwa4QFWlHM

These notes tell us the Old Testament ?story? was written ?out of A MATRIX OF MYTH, LEGEND, and history...Archaeological evidence suggests that traditions of a prehistoric flood covering the whole earth are HEIGHTENED VERSIONS OF LOCAL INUNDATIONS. ...The book of Job is described as an ?ancient folktale?. The notes also inform us that the book of Jonah ?has taken older material from the realm of POPULAR LEGEND.?

Among the notes from ?How to Read the Bible With Understanding?, we find: "The opening chapters of the Old Testament deal with human origins. They ARE NOT TO BE READ AS HISTORY... These chapters are followed by the stories of the patriarchs, which preserve ancient traditions now known to reflect the conditions of the times of which they tell, though THEY CANNOT BE TREATED AS STRICLY HISTORICAL ... the stories of Elijah and Elisha THERE ARE LEGENDARY ELEMENTS ..Legend should be read as legend, and poetry as poetry, and not with a dull prosaic and literalistic mind."

I have read his book and written a response to it which can be found at my site here:

http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/Misquote.html

May God have mercy and call more of His people out of this overwhelming darkness that is destroying the faith of many Christians today.

God's Book - the King James Bible

Will K

Brandplucked:

If you noticethe content of these quotes, "These notes tell us the Old Testament ?story? was written ?out of A MATRIX OF MYTH, LEGEND, and history." Where does this view come from? It does not come from the KJV verses the critcal text. But these views stem form German higher critcism which is radical liberal theology. People that hold these views do not believe in a supernatural God, They do not believe that the writers were inspired by God. I had a professor in college in 1970 that did not believe the first eleven chapters of Genesis were history, but myth. He did not believe the miracles in the Old Testament and attempted to explain them away. He did not believe that the Bible was inspired of God. Where did he get these views, he attended Oxford University in England. He had been poisoned by German Higher Critcism. I am sure some where down the line Bart Ehrman was exposed to German Higer Criticism, where his faith was weakned, this probably happen at Princeton University. He had been taught right at Wheaton College and at Moody. But his faith had later been weakened by liberalism. I saw this happen at a Baptist university due to the liberalism being taught.

God Bless
John

• Members

Hi John. Bart and many others got those liberal ideas about Genesis from men like Bruce Metzger, the ex-champion of modern textual criticism. Anybody who uses and believes in textual criticism will soon embrace the idea that there is no such thing as an inspired and infallible Bible in any language, including (or even, especially) "the" Hebrew and "the" Greek. It is my contention that if any English speaker is NOT a King James Bible onlyist, then he does not believe in an infallible Bible at all.

Will K

Actually, it's the only logical outcome, if you follow the line of thinking to its conclusion. The King James Bible is the only one that has any merit of infallibility, and is the only one ever championed as such. Besides the fact that no one has ever shown one inconsistency or error in the KJB text, Its success and God's blessing on It point toward Its supernatural power.

God said He'd preserve His word forever. His word is pure, holy, righteous, et. al. (check out my blog link below; I just put one up concerning this issue) His word is given by inspiration. Now based on these things, which Bible fits the bill? There is no Bible in any language that is perfect, save the King James. Vietnamese definitely doesn't have one, nor French, nor German; some languages may have good or even excellent Bibles, but they're not perfect. The King James Bible is the only one, in any language, without a demonstrable error.

If you don't believe the King James Bible to be the perfect word of God, then you don't believe in an infallible Bible. As a result, you must not believe God, since He said He'd preserve it. 'Tis quite simple, actually.

There is no Bible in any language that is perfect' date=' save the King James.[/quote']

What is it about the KJV that makes it right (or more right or more infallible . . .) than any other version? And I'm not championing another bible, I'd just like to know what makes it correct compared to others. Also, what about all the bibles that existed before it? And considering that the KJV is just that, a version, which was translated from other languages, wouldn't that mean the versions from which the KJV were translated are also perfect. There are a few quirks that I think about a lot, such as there not being a precise english translation for the greek word "logos." Anyway, I was just wandering and look forward to a response that is not filled with ridicule and disrespctfullness.

Based on what I have read, it appears that Mr. Ehrman lost his faith because, rather than being placed in Christ, he put his faith in the Bible. Also, it seems as if when Mr. Ehrman was a practicing Christian, he was actually worshipping the KJV itself, and not Christ. Idoltry will never lead one to Christ.

• Members

From what you are saying here it appears that everybody in the entire world needs to read English...that any Bible in French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc., is not the Word of God and therefore not infallible. I disagree for this reason:

1. The King James Bible is the inerrant, preserved Word of God in the English language. It was translated from the Greek Received Text and the Hebrew Masoretic Text into the English language.

2. The French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc., translations are not translated from the ENGLISH KJV, but they are translated into French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc. from the same Greek and Hebrew texts as the KJV.

3. The English does NOT correct the Greek and Hebrew.

Sorry to get off topic here. BTW, I do not worship the Bible, I worship the GOD of the Bible, the Living Word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

That's what I believe. God is able to preserve His word in the KIng James, He is also able to do it in any other language.
The KIng James is the infallible, innerrent word of God for the English language.

I don't doubt that He could. But the issue is did He? You cannot simply take manuscripts, even if they were the same ones used by the KJB translators, translate them into another language, and expect to have a perfect, infallible Bible. The inspiration of the Almighty has to be on those translating the scriptures. Even if it's not a perfect translation as is the KJB, God can and will use it like He uses other versions in English.

Another thing: the TR was the main text used by the translators, as was the Masoretic Hebrew text, but they used well over 300 different manuscripts, among them some corrupt ones! The issue here isn't the Texts or manuscripts or the language, it is the power of God and what He choses to do with His word. Is there a perfect Bible in every language? No. Does He still honor them as His word? Of course, as many people are saved every day worldwide. Kathie and I are going to be missionaries in Chile, South America. I know basic Spanish and she took one year in High School. We are not going to go teach them English so they can read the KJB. When we're there, I will use the 1865 Reina Valera Spanish Bible, because I believe that to be the one God has given me for the people of Chile. Is it perfect? I don't know; the man I will be working with says it is. Does God honor it? Most certainly.

And putting one's faith in the Bible without first having it in Christ is folly. At the same time, however, we must realize that without the Bible, we have no proof of Christ's life, death, burial, resurrection; salvation, eternal security, et. al. One's faith must be in Christ, but he must also believe the Bible.