• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Misquoting Jesus" destroying the faith of Christians

Hahaha amen, brother, quite true in many cases. However, there are quite a few on here who do believe the King James Bible; most do to one extent or another, and we have to find common ground where we can. Like I told you at church tonight, Kevin is one of those who can't seem to find an absolute authority other than his own opinion; there's several of those here too.

As far as the Baptist/Christian/Bible thing, I've said the same thing multiple times; I never got that heated about it though! (even though I really wanted to :tum ) I suppose even the more aggressive of us sometimes tend to sugar-coat the truth in the effort to preserve unity and peace.

Thank God for His perfect word, AMEN!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1611burr--

You are certainly starting off on the right foot...calling people on this board Pharisees and apostates. How can you make such a judgment? On what do you base your opinion about who is and who isn't an Independent Fundamental Baptist...and how do you know that we don't know what that means? Better get to know the people here before making such judgmental calls. :R

1611burr--

You are certainly starting off on the right foot...calling people on this board Pharisees and apostates. How can you make such a judgment? On what do you base your opinion about who is and who isn't an Independent Fundamental Baptist...and how do you know that we don't know what that means? Better get to know the people here before making such judgmental calls. :R

Linda, he's calling attention to the fact that almost everyone here places "Baptist" over the Bible, saying "the Bible teaches Baptist doctrine" or whatever. That is absolutely the wrong way to approach the Bible. While I agree that his approach is rather undiplomatic, he does shoot straight, something most people are afraid of, get offended by, or can't do. So instead of taking everything personally, try reading the message of the post and hold off on the nitpicking.

• Members

Linda, he's calling attention to the fact that almost everyone here places "Baptist" over the Bible, saying "the Bible teaches Baptist doctrine" or whatever. That is absolutely the wrong way to approach the Bible. While I agree that his approach is rather undiplomatic, he does shoot straight, something most people are afraid of, get offended by, or can't do. So instead of taking everything personally, try reading the message of the post and hold off on the nitpicking.

First of all, I am not nitpicking, nor am I taking anything personally. This was only his 4th post here and he's already calling people Pharisees and apostates. Better look up the definitions for those words, Pharisee and apostate before flinging them around. Secondly, I read that entire post, and you are correct, his approach was very undiplomatic...however the Bible says:

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

How do you know that almost everyone here places "Baptist" over the Bible? Aren't you assuming alot by making such a statement? I've been reading many of your posts too, and it appears to me that you are always correct and anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong. Shooting straight is one thing, but making judgment calls is quite another. Use more honey and less vinegar.

• Members

If my Baptist beliefs come straight from the Bible (which I am firmly convinced of) and I hold to them, I am certainly not placing Baptist above the Bible. If I didn't believe the Bible taught what is commonly referred to as Baptist doctrine then frankly I wouldn't BE a Baptist.

P.S. I was a Baptist long before I had a clue what "Baptist doctrine" meant or what a Baptist church was - but when I found that all that I believed was historical Baptist doctrine, I chose to identify myself with a church of like faith and practice - as we all should.

• Members

Just so everyone knows, given that it hasn't been said yet.............

Not everyone on this board is IFB

Not everyone on this board is KJV for english only.

The mods here give ample time for those to state their case, (which has been stated 100 times already on these boards) because every soul is important, and either they will get rid of the arrogant self inflicted feeling of "having things figured out" or they will one day cross the line and get warnings, or cross the line far enough that like others, it will be pointed out they stated their case and their posts are no longer needed, and you will not see them on here anymore while they go off to talk about how closed minded IFB are.

Unless you've booted around these boards deeply, I wouldn't judge on the surface. I know of many on here that have sickening views of the bible, but the mods are well aware, but trust in the typical IFB to be reading the bible and it gives a great education as to the views of those you may run into.

If you have a problem with a southern baptist on the forum, realize that he or she is the one out of place here. If you have a problem with some young self wise fool, keep in mind he's up for some slaps in the face from the real world of living for God.

But don't bash the boards. It's the same as bashing a parent who warns their kids about the world. It's the sheltered kids who I see fall hardest. Use the boards to learn what the SB think, what the AB think, what the athiest think, what the mormons think... so you can best defend against it and teach others.

Either that, or join the Amish cuz this is the real world we are trying to reach.

• Members
First of all, I am not nitpicking, nor am I taking anything personally. This was only his 4th post here and he's already calling people Pharisees and apostates. Better look up the definitions for those words, Pharisee and apostate before flinging them around. Secondly, I read that entire post, and you are correct, his approach was very undiplomatic...however the Bible says:

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

How do you know that almost everyone here places "Baptist" over the Bible? Aren't you assuming alot by making such a statement? I've been reading many of your posts too, and it appears to me that you are always correct and anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong. Shooting straight is one thing, but making judgment calls is quite another. Use more honey and less vinegar.

:goodpost:

1611burr--

From what I seen already people are being Pharisees, who care more about "Baptist" then they do about Christ. And those non KJV believers who used to believe, but now they dont are apostates. And the Bible says that a spiritual man judgeth all thing ICor.2:15. You all put IFB above Born Again Christian.

• Members

Well, 1611, if you can't fellowship with Baptists, you truly are not going to fit in here.

No one here puts being a Baptist ABOVE being a born again Christian - as far as I am aware, all the Baptists on here believe that a person must be born again. However, most of us believe in identifying ourselves as Baptists, because the word Christian doesn't mean anything specific these days - even Catholics and Mormons call themselves that. So what do I mean when I say I am a Christian? A saved Baptist who believes the Bible is our sole authority in this life.

• Members

Hahaha is right Vince. I've heard Drill Instructors that sound less venomous the 1611burr. Let me paraphrase: :verymad::verymad::verymad: I am KJV only and if you are not you are a know nothing see nothing scum sucking dog that has no possible chance of ever seeing salvation!!! :verymad::verymad::verymad: Tell be burr, is that your typical method of winning souls to Christ? I can't see it as being very affective.

And of course Vince is the best among us at sugar coating the truth. We've all pretty much concluded that he is the only keeper of the truth keys. We just don't want to admit it for fear it might go to his already too big head.

What church is it you two go to; The church of self-righteousness?

For the record, I am KJV only, but I know there are millions of people that have come to the Lord without ever seeing a KJV. Jesus and the Apostles brought thousands to salvation without the KJV. (Of course most of those people are probably out of your dispensation so they don't count). As to people holding to the IFB moniker more than Christ on this board, perhaps you can look in the mirror and see that your hold on the KJV is MUCH tighter than the Christian teachings within it.

• Members
Well, 1611, if you can't fellowship with Baptists, you truly are not going to fit in here.

No one here puts being a Baptist ABOVE being a born again Christian - as far as I am aware, all the Baptists on here believe that a person must be born again. However, most of us believe in identifying ourselves as Baptists, because the word Christian doesn't mean anything specific these days - even Catholics and Mormons call themselves that. So what do I mean when I say I am a Christian? A saved Baptist who believes the Bible is our sole authority in this life.

I agree. the only reason I am a baptist because it make more doctrinally (and biblical) sense than any other religion. I can't find myself agreeing that baptism is an requirement for salvation in a catholic church. I read the bible, and find a church that lines up with the bible or a church that agree with the bible, and the only thing close to it is the baptist church. The main thing I look is what they believe on salvation. Different churches have different idea how to be saved. Once I know what they believe on salvation, I can rest assure that most of their bible studies will line up because they are "wearing the OSAS salvation glasses".

Do I put baptist above any born-again believers, No... like I wrote before, I don't think the waldrenes (sp?) or any of those groups are really connected to baptists, but believe that there were born-again believers among those groups. As well as the protestants and many other historical religion groups (but if they stayed with catholics or other groups like that, then I questioned what they REALLY believe)