• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

MARRIAGE

Guest Guest

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
The first thing my MIL said to my husband " YOU DO KNOW THAT IF YOU GET HER PREGNANT, YOU ARE MOST LIKELY HAVE DEAF KIDS"

She didn't want my husband dating me.

No deaf kids yet :)

Thats sad ,my dh has blind aunt and uncle and they had no children born that way .

• Members

Evidently the OP is not getting any help from us clueless posters. :lol:

Except that my advice is to restrict marital choice by God's rules, not man's....

And I am still just curious if this is actual intermarriage within family, or just within a certain group of friends?

• Members
I can't remember where I read this, but someone posed an equation to determione Ick Factor in age differences and marriage. The equation if I remember right is...

(Wife's Age) >= (Husband's Age / 2) + 7

Of course in reality you can subtract 10 years from the woman's age for every digit over 6 in the guy's net worth.

Its here

I love xkcd.

Whoa! Just read the post from last evening and this morning. What I'm talking about and what you guys are picturing are two totally different things. Stop picturing pride and prejudice and start picturing a country club. Like John said, we are isolated, but there is most likely at least one in every major city in the south and on the eastern sea board. It is more like a group of people gathered around a common interest, like golf. But it can be anything, like the Piedmont Driving Club of Atlanta, or Baucus in New Orleans, or the Natchez Garden Club. There is no intermarrying within one's own family, or at least not that I am aware of. You'd probably be surprised at the people produced by societal life. It ususally produces political figures and local (and sometimes large) business men, a result of having a concentrated group of supporters. And it can preserve wealth within a relatively small group, albeit inadvertantly. Try and find the last new member of the Newport Golf and Country Club who doesn't have at least one person in their ancestory with the last name "Dupont."

• Members
Whoa! Just read the post from last evening and this morning. What I'm talking about and what you guys are picturing are two totally different things. Stop picturing pride and prejudice and start picturing a country club. Like John said' date=' we are isolated, but there is most likely at least one in every major city in the south and on the eastern sea board. It is more like a group of people gathered around a common interest, like golf. But it can be anything, like the Piedmont Driving Club of Atlanta, or Baucus in New Orleans, or the Natchez Garden Club. There is no intermarrying within one's own family, or at least not that I am aware of. You'd probably be surprised at the people produced by societal life. It ususally produces political figures and local (and sometimes large) business men, a result of having a concentrated group of supporters. And it can preserve wealth within a relatively small group, albeit inadvertantly. Try and find the last new member of the Newport Golf and Country Club who doesn't have at least one person in their ancestory with the last name "Dupont."[/quote']

Hm. Okay. Well again, all I'd have to say is, marry God's will, whether or not its in your society.

• Members
Whoa! Just read the post from last evening and this morning. What I'm talking about and what you guys are picturing are two totally different things. Stop picturing pride and prejudice and start picturing a country club. Like John said' date=' we are isolated, but there is most likely at least one in every major city in the south and on the eastern sea board. It is more like a group of people gathered around a common interest, like golf. But it can be anything, like the Piedmont Driving Club of Atlanta, or Baucus in New Orleans, or the Natchez Garden Club. There is no intermarrying within one's own family, or at least not that I am aware of. You'd probably be surprised at the people produced by societal life. It ususally produces political figures and local (and sometimes large) business men, a result of having a concentrated group of supporters. And it can preserve wealth within a relatively small group, albeit inadvertantly. Try and find the last new member of the Newport Golf and Country Club who doesn't have at least one person in their ancestory with the last name "Dupont."[/quote']

That's exactly what pride and Prejudice is. If you don't have "Good Breeding", then you are not considered important.

interests and being able to afford Golf, yacht, etc. and making friends are a signs of good breeding, usually. You don't see many poorer or people with health issues in a golf club.

good breeding = money, they go hand to hand.. like intelligent people know how to make money and make friends similar to themselves. And of course, they make sure their kids live the same way they do.

BTW, My Father-in-law lives in an house right off of expensive golf club (he have to pay golf membership with his house).

Psalm: I'll respectfully disagree on the goodbreeding=money. It would be a little more accurate to say "old money"=goodbreeding, but it still isn't actually the way it is. There are families that are a part of my particular group that haven't had any money for generations. However, they are of good stock, so to say, and are perfectly sufficient for reproducing. It you really want to get down to the bottom of it, I believe that it goes like this: intelligence=possiblity of making money, intelligence+physical health=good genes, good genes=well bread. And that's really the only way money comes into it. These groups tend to produce intelligent people, or did at one point, and that intelligence was used to make money. It just so happens that those people become concentrated and continue to produce intelligent people with each other. Now I am in no way saying that eveyone that is a member of one of these groups is anymore intelligent than the next guy. Most, like myself, were born into it.

A good example comes from my own group. We had this young doctor and his family move into our town. He became friends with some of his neighbors, who happened to be societal. They brought him around and started introducing him to us. He has three daughters so he is obviously a good candidate. However, no one knew his parents or grandparents, they weren't familiar with school he prepped at or the college he attended. Point being, you just can't buy your way into it. It's the difference between being well bread, and being wealthy.