• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithing--Self Employed

• Members

Yeah I don't plan on hiring anyone. :smile But thanks anyway. I did start teaching our asst pastor's wife how to do cookies as she would like to start doing it out of her home, and she is helping me with a big cookie order coming up since I'll be out of town.

Anyway my reputation is MY reputation and I don't want it on the line by forking out the labor. I'd rather take less orders and do it myself.

I do not make a huge deal about my cakes in church. I mean everyone knows I do them but I like to keep it low key. I don't think its wrong to do, I know an evangelist whose wife owns a catering company....but I don't like to make it priority over the church or sell to church members (unless they want a cake, in which case I do it for love offering only, which they get mad at me for LOL but I don't like charging regular price because its fairly high) or definitely not get them involved with it. My husband did remind me though that our financial guy and his wife (who used to home-cater) can help me with figuring out tax stuff. :lol

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Qwerty' date=' I think you are looking at the business aspects and overlooking the personal aspects. Do you have any idea of the potential for problems if the pastors wife hires ladies in the church to do "the grunt work". :loll: That is trouble waiting to happen even in a good church. :wink Pastors and their wives have to be even more careful than the rest of us because WAY to many people are easily offended at even little things they do... It is sad but it is a fact...[/quote']

eh, not really. I was giving mainly a list of examples. I have the feeling the spiritual question has been worked out enough for her to make a desition, and I'm in a sneaky way trying to bring up a different spiritual problem I see, getting her ready for it if it happened.

I know it's gonna be asked, so I'll of course say what I see... that is if you're doing this with faith, and you want to do it with God, and for God, with God involved.

God might have different plans then you do.

I'm sure you're ok with it failing.

I'm sure you're ok with it going how you plan.

You ready to say yes to God if he wants to use you financially, by pouring in money via your business, overflowing your vessels so you can be a blessing where He wants you too?

Doesn't have to happen, but a little study on all scenarios, so you at least know enough that what ever happens you don't get overwelmed, is never bad advice.

• Members
I deleted the 2 pages I posted because I don't want heartstrings getting all upset.
If you really did not want me to get upset, as you say here, why did you post the accusations below?

Anyone who thinks of taking what heartstrings says as good information must only google search the terminology used.... You'll find it clear fast.
Sir, Did I attack the information you presented? The terminology I used was sound and true to the best of my knowledge.

Stumbling block... something about that in the bible..........
Stumbling block to who? You?
Wrong terminology... ......
Please show where I used any "wrong terminology".

justifying minimum tithe
This is a lie, sir. I would make sure I know what I'm talking about before passing judgement.

You're a lot braver then I am... messing with someone's walk with God.

Now you are trying scare tactics. :hide
I got your number now ,bubba

• Members
My hubby has been self-employed for many years, and I was also for a while. I babysat, and he delivers. We had and have a lot of expenses (gas, vehicle repairs ($$$!); housing costs, since I babysat). I have to say that we tithe on our gross, not our net. We believe that we should tithe on all of what we receive, even if there will be money going out for whatever expenses we have. We will be starting a business soon, and will most likely continue that process. As qwerty said, the real thing is to pray about it, and in your case talk to your hubby. I'm sure God will show you what you should do.

As far as taxes are concerned, federally a self-employed person is supposed to file quarterly. If you don't, you can (and most likely will) be fined. We pay once a year, but we pay in advance, with our refund. We find it's easier to get it out of the way - and in some cases, the next year's refund has been larger because we didn't owe when we paid (does that make sense?). State taxes in IN are to be filed quarterly also - don't know if your state is different. But I would suggest you look into it. It would most likely be a bit different for a business than for a minister.

From mid-80's to mid 2002, I worked for self, I paid state & federal taxes once per year only. Of course I did this having full assurance from the person who did my taxes that is was legal.

But, I know things can change, but I never got fined for doing this.

Althought Federal kept trying to get me to pay ever 3 months. Of course Federal Government is a greedy money eating machine.

But I suggest checking with an income tax person who knows to be sure what is right, this is nothing to play around with and guessing about, if you guess wrong, it could cost several dollars and a fine which would be much more than paying the proper way.