• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you study the Bible?

How do you study the Bible?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How do you study the Bible?

• I don't
    • I use my KJV only
    • Concordances
    • Bible software
    • Commentaries
    • Other

• Members
My favorite is Bible Explorer 4 because it has the talking dictionary and so many free addon books it is unbelievable. Plus you can have several different things on the screen side by side to compare notes. But the main reference is the good old KJV Bible. :amen:

Bible Explorer, its suppose to be a 5 CD set, a friend gave me the disc in 2001 that has the KJV Bible on it and Thompson Chain.

Its my favorite to read and copy and paste verse to my sermon outline.

How long have you had the Bible Explorer 4?

I also have;

Quick Verse

E-sword

Deluxe Bible Collection

I use my computer for reading and study now days, its easier on my neck than setting holding a book.

I use commentaries some, but not very much, surely not as much as I use to.

Seems to me, much of the time, cross reference verses in a KJ Bible is better than most commentaries.

I use this old Webster's I keep setting by my key board a lot, and I use the Storngs ever now and again that my Bible software has on it.

Oh, the Quick Verse, I hardly ever use it any more although it has quite a bit on it. One thing I like about it, you can hear many of the words pronounced on it by right clicking to and clicking on pronounce. I will use to help learn many of the Old Testament names.

• Members

Jerry, given what you said about your study habits on the computer, give the program I mentioned a try. It's focus is on note taking and searches.

It includes a bunch of chains, topicals, etc. It has a very dynamic "find" menu allowing you to very easily find relevant verses.

What I look for in a bible program is something that makes my time in study more efficent and fruitful, and this program does this in a great way.

Although, I can say honestly, a bible program can fit one person and not another, but if you go to their web site I'm sure you can make a good judgment if it would fit you.

Jerry I have had Bible Explorer 4 about 6 mos. now and use it every day. I have my KJV Bible on my desk to do my daily lesson and use BE4 for reference and making notes as I go, it has been a big help in my study. It was a free download plus they have a lot of books to add to the program once you register it. I still use other programs but BE4 is #1. :amen:

• Members

[quote="wes59521"]Jerry I have had Bible Explorer 4 about 6 mos. now and use it every day. I have my KJV Bible on my desk to do my daily lesson and use BE4 for reference and making notes as I go, it has been a big help in my study. It was a free download plus they have a lot of books to add to the program once you register it. I still use other programs but BE4 is #1. :amen:[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I've just found their web site, I'm going to see if they are the same makers of the old one that I have by Epiphany, copyright 95-97. The only thing I have against it is you have to have the disc inserted before you can use it.

• Members
Jerry I don't even have a disk' date='I downloaded it from their site and its on my hard drive.[/quote']

Yes, I understood that.

I was just telling you the Bible Explorer I have is on a disc, and its one of a 5 disc set that come out in the late 90's.

I'm going to download it, to see if its on the same platform, works the same way, as the Bible Explorer I have, if so I'll use it where I'll no longer have to use the disc to use Bible Explorer, if not I'll probably delete it.

• Members
I voted KJV only & Other---the "other" includes Bible Software and Wilmington's Guide to the Bible (which is a type of commentary)' date=' which is an excellent resource. I don't rely too much on commentaries, but use them more for informational purposes. I use SwordSearcher Bible software.[/quote']

SwordSearcher is great software! :thumb

• Members

A great deal of my Bible Study is done on the computer. I use a couple of programs (ACE Bible & Online Bible). I need a new computer and when I get it I am going to download eSword.

Both programs allow me access to Strongs but I prefer the one in Online Bible. Both also allow online commentary which I sometimes use.

I will occasionally compare other translations to the KJV which both programs accomodate. The KJV is my final authority but sometimes looking at other translations will clarify a difficulty I am having due to vocabulary or sentence structure. It is rare that I will read more than a verse though.

The programs allow me to record notes from my study or paste portions of commentary into my notes. It is good to review what the passage said to me in past readings. Someone said their are 7 laws of learning. The first is review, the second is review. Care to guess at 3 - 7 ?

SOME PRINCIPLES OF BIBLE STUDY
1. Have a definite time. (depends on personal schedule and when we best function.)
2. Have a definite place. (out of the home traffic but not too comfortable)
3 Have a definite plan. (no team goes to the field without a game plan)
4. Have a balance between quantity and quality (which wing of an airplane is most important)
5. KJV Bible, Concordance, Dictionary and pad and paper are indispensable to study. Other study aids may be helpful. To the young Christians commentary unless advised by pastor or older mature Christian may lead one on the wrong path.

• Members

I pretty much have a set schedule for when I need to do my bible studies (good habit to develop), but if I come across a topic that is a bit of a blur to me...I'm going to open my bible right there and then. I've read the bible almost 8 times from front to back and there's always something new to learn from it as we mature as believers.

Love,
Madeline

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Many ways, I use the KJV, commentaries when I am stumped or want to seek another's point of view. Concordance to quickly find a passage. I also study it dispensationally. I am a pre millennial dispensationalist. It helps eliminate seeming contradictions. It is similar to reading someone else's mail. For example: The 4 Gospels and the Pentateuch is the "mail" or the doctrine for the Jews. The Pauline epistles (ROmans to Philemon) are our "mail" or doctrine for the New Testament Church.