• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you study the Bible?

How do you study the Bible?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How do you study the Bible?

• I don't
    • I use my KJV only
    • Concordances
    • Bible software
    • Commentaries
    • Other

• Members

I voted KJV only & Other---the "other" includes Bible Software and Wilmington's Guide to the Bible (which is a type of commentary), which is an excellent resource. I don't rely too much on commentaries, but use them more for informational purposes. I use SwordSearcher Bible software.

• Members

I use the combination of everything. If I am on the computer, I use my e-sword (http://www.e-sword.net) with commentary. I use other websites like http://www.blueletterbible.org/ and of course this forum.

When I am not on the computer, I read devotionals and KJV. I have very limited vocabulary skills even for today modern english so sometimes I keep my KJV reading short (read alittle bit at a time). I tend to skip words I don't know and still figure out what they are talking about, but if I really need to know the word, I would use my dictionary. http://www.dictionary.com is my friend. It even have a software that I can download so I can highlight any words and it will automatically look that word up for me.... on their website ofcourse.

• Members

With the Holy Spirit's guidance (its a given I know I just had to throw that in :lol: )

I'll use just about anything to get a better understanding. I currently use:

The Holman Bible Atlas A poor version of Halley's Bible Handbook The Holman Bible dictionary A rather condensed version of Nave's Topical Bible I have a Thompson Chain, Ryrie, Nelson and I read from my B.P.S. (all KJV Bibles)[/list:u] and I'll read just about anybook that covers the various methods toward studying the Bible (ie. "Live By The Book"/"The Navigators Bible Studies Handbook"). I like the 6 W method personally. Who, what, where, when, why, and whyfore (personal application).

• Strongs with the best of Vines Expository Dictionary (for the Greek and Hebrew).

• Members

Mostly with the King James Bible, lots of prayer and reliance upon the Holy Ghost.

I will occasionally use a concordance or commentary. Oftentimes I will read a book, such as a book by Spurgeon on prayer (for example) and use that as part of my study on the topic at hand; in the case of the Spurgeon book on prayer, the topic I would be studying would naturally be prayer.

Already this month, as part of my Bible study, I read a book on living by the Bible which went through Psalm 119.

• Members
I use computer software etc; E-Sword' date='Bible Explorer 4,Theophilos,KJV Bible and a lot of Spurgeon's sermons :amen:[/quote']

Theophilos<--- the only thing I don't like about this is it doesn't have an easy Hebrew/greek

But hands down, it's my favorite program, and is the only program I have ever used that made me forget I was on a computer and I could just enjoy the bible.

I LOVE that program.

• Members

I got it as a 4 disk set, and it gives a lot of internet support and add ons

The main program allows you to change font styles and size... color options.

It lets you make notes on verses, and when that window is open when you are reading your own notes pop up.

It lets you make chains

Notebook feature for great studies...

It has all the topicals, you can bring up the original KJV translator notes...

Make voice recordings for verses, or download a package that will just read every verse to you as you go through the bible

You can even highlight bible verses

It's a VERY extensive program to allow for you to read and study the bible on your computer.

The other disks where stuff like a virtual 3d of the temple so you can run around in it... huge arcive of maps and pictures... songs...

But the bible program is what I love.

Like I said, only thing it's missing is greek/hebrew referanse, but I haven't check if they have that availible in awile, I think I will. But I just run a program in the background that if needed, I can reference the greek or hebrew.

My favorite is Bible Explorer 4 because it has the talking dictionary and so many free addon books it is unbelievable. Plus you can have several different things on the screen side by side to compare notes. But the main reference is the good old KJV Bible. :amen: