• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do you know you are saved?

• Members

What questions should a christian ask himself to know for sure he is saved?

Like someone say " I have accepted Jesus as my Savior" but the truth is, he is a mormon. I read countless posts (other message boards) saying Romney, a mormon, must be saved because he publicly announced that he accepted Jesus as his savior. Of course, one the post here on OLB reminded me those posts so I thought I would start this topic.

• Members

Does someone's faith line up with what the Bible says? Do they believe in the Jesus of the Bible - or another Jesus? Do they believe in the Gospel according to the Scriptures - or another gospel? Are they being filled with the Holy Spirit - or another spirit? Do they love truth - or deception?

2 Corinthians 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Have they trusted in Christ's finished work - knowing there is no way they could ever earn or merit salvation - or are they basing their salvation on their "good" works (whatever sort they may be)? Do they believe Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven, to the Father, the ONLY mediator between God and men - or just one of many?

I don't believe there is any one question - but a searching of the Scriptures to see if our faith and the object of our faith lines up with what the Bible teaches.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

• Members

:goodpost: Jerry!

Early on when I first accepted Christ, there were times I would question my salvation. This was mostly because I didn't fully understand the topic and had no one to disciple me.

Anyway, it wasn't until years later, but one day the Lord opened my eyes to the fact that I was in Christ and had the Holy Ghost within me and that was proof positive I was born again (saved). The way he opened my eyes was by letting me see that during those years I wasn't sure and I had a roller coaster life, I was yet constantly being prodded and guided away from sin and to follow God. During that time if I did things or thought things that wouldn't have bothered me prior to my salvation, I would feel guilt, regret and the need to repent and do right. This was proof the Holy Ghost was in me and that I was indeed saved.

Thankfully, the Lord brought a good Christian friend into my life, closely followed by a great Baptist pastor, and I finally received the discipleship and training in righteousness I longed for and needed.

• Members

Yes, 1 John is an excellent letter to read to see if you fit the criteria given for being saved. Some of the things mentioned are: obedience (ie. overall walking according to God's Word and not in rebellion, walking in the light), love of truth, love for the brethren.

• Members

Today the question is who or what is the person trusting in for their salvation. We live in a day when 85 percent or more of the people in the US that claim they are Christians are trusting in their own merit or something other than the shed blood of the Lord Jesus
Christ. That is why when you ask them," If they died today if they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that they would go to heaven, most will answer "I think so" or " I hope so".

• Members

Well, as long as we are not deliberately sinning (in the sense of open rebellion to God), we can have confidence in our salvation. See Hebrews 4:16... we have confidence because Christ works in us. Because people see our sometimes frail efforts to remain Christ-like, shouldn't allow us to lose this confidence. We sin, but we are sorry, we learn from our mistakes always working toward our high calling.

Love,
Madeline

• Members
Today the question is who or what is the person trusting in for their salvation. We live in a day when 85 percent or more of the people in the US that claim they are Christians are trusting in their own merit or something other than the shed blood of the Lord Jesus
Christ. That is why when you ask them," If they died today if they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that they would go to heaven, most will answer "I think so" or " I hope so".

That's a great point you bring up and one of the reasons it can be harder reach some of the lost in America, which is because so many of them actually think they are Christians already and okay with God.

Those who really believe they are okay with God can be difficult to reach because either they think they were born Christian or something and don't want to discuss it, or because they know enough of Scripture to think they know all they need to know.

It's sad that so many are trusting in their infant baptism, or even an adult baptism to get them to heaven. Or they are trusting in their good works. Or they are trusting that they are a good person or better than those evil ones who go to Hell. Or trusting that their church attendance with get them to heaven, or that they were born Christian, or any number of other false "gospels".

It really saddens me to think of those who are actually very sincere in their wrong "Christian" beliefs because I think of their reactions when the Lord tells them to depart from Him because He never knew them. :sad

• 4 weeks later...
What questions should a christian ask himself to know for sure he is saved?

Like someone say " I have accepted Jesus as my Savior" but the truth is, he is a mormon. I read countless posts (other message boards) saying Romney, a mormon, must be saved because he publicly announced that he accepted Jesus as his savior. Of course, one the post here on OLB reminded me those posts so I thought I would start this topic.

You don't know if you are saved, how could you?

"The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of." (Matthew 24:50)

• Members
You don't know if you are saved, how could you?

"The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of." (Matthew 24:50)

The Bible teaches we can know.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

The verse you quoted is referring to not knowing when Christ will return - it has nothing to do with not knowing we are saved.

• Members

As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5?8), but I?m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9?10, 1 Cor. 3:12?15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11?13).

I don't believe salvation is a one-time, pray a sinner's prayer and you're in, done deal. It is a lifelong process of picking up our cross daily and following Christ. :amen:

• Members

Don't confuse discipleship with salvation. Anyone saved will be completely saved - Justification is instantaneous; the process is sanctification; the end result is glorification. The first one saves us from the penalty of sin; the second the power of sin; the third the presence of sin.

Though it is playing with or confusing Bible terminology to teach we are being saved - that is what some of the modern versions teach. The King James Bible does not teach this.

• Members
Don't confuse discipleship with salvation. Anyone saved will be completely saved - Justification is instantaneous; the process is sanctification; the end result is glorification. The first one saves us from the penalty of sin; the second the power of sin; the third the presence of sin.
Where does the Bible say that?

• Members

Which part specifically are you referring to? That salvation is instanteous? All over the place. The Bible teaches we are saved or lost; in light or in darkness; death or life; a sheep or a goat. There is no middle ground in the Bible.