• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Patriotic songs

Maxmya

The Battle Hymn of the Republic was written by a univerasalist and if you understand what it's actually about it's very unbiblical.

:amen::amen::amen:

I'm glad somebody said something about that! I cringe every time someone wants to have everyone sing that in church.....

• Members

The Star Spangled Banner

My Country Tis of Thee

This Land is my Land

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Columbia the Gem of the Ocean

(Was in a school play in 1976 so we did a lot of Patriotic songs )I was 8 but I remember most of them .

• Members

If I have time later I'll try to find some information on the web. All that I've read about it came from printed sources.

The words in the song are misleading to most who don't know what the writer was actually saying. The song was written by one who believed Christians would usher in paradise on earth and then Christ would return. What the song is about, would today be a part of the "social gospel" where it's up to Christians to right the wrongs here on earth and, in the case of some, bring about paradise on earth so Jesus could return.

• 1 month later...
The Battle Hymn of the Republic was written by a univerasalist

Yeah, yeah - but you cannot discount a song because of a belief of its author. I personally, do not care for the song either, although it was a major theme for Women's Suffrage which paved the way for the rights of our wonderful women.

I just think that to discount this song because of the lifestyle of its author would require us to do so evenly across the music board...and we would lose a good many songs.

Look up the Battle Hymn of the Republic on http://www.cyberhymnal.org' date=' and you will find the belief of the author. Yes, we should reject any songs that present spirituality in any form when the author is wacky spiritually.[/quote']

Really? I can only assume you post this in ignorance.

What about the hymn, "Crown Him with Many Crowns"? It's author, Matthew Bridges, joined the Roman Catholic Church in 1848, publishing this great song in 1851.

I just want to know if that principle is applied across the board. :wink

• Members

How is it ignorance when I know the history of a song? :roll

Why listen to a spiritual song by someone who is wacky spiritually? What would be the purpose?

To please or entertain yourself? If you were discerning and sought to live by the Word of God - then there would be no spiritual benefit to listen to something corrupt or by someone corrupt - you would be forcing your own beliefs into the song when the writer didn't intend that.

To somehow be pleasing to God? Doctrinal error and songs written by heretics or apostates would not be pleasing to the Lord - in fact, it would be displeasing and an offense to Him when He commands us to cling to truth.

How is it ignorance when I know the history of a song? :roll

Why listen to a spiritual song by someone who is wacky spiritually? What would be the purpose?

To please or entertain yourself? If you were discerning and sought to live by the Word of God - then there would be no spiritual benefit to listen to something corrupt or by someone corrupt - you would be forcing your own beliefs into the song when the writer didn't intend that.

To somehow be pleasing to God? Doctrinal error and songs written by heretics or apostates would not be pleasing to the Lord - in fact, it would be displeasing and an offense to Him when He commands us to cling to truth.

Thanks for not answering my post. :cool

• Members
Thanks for not answering my post.

I was addressing the other issue you brought up. I am unfamiliar with the history of the other song. Do you have a link that shows what the author believes, etc.?

Here is the link to the song first questionable song mentioned: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/h/bhymnotr.htm

and to the author's bio: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/h/o/w/howe_jw.htm

I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;

The whole song implies that the Gospel/kingdom of God is advanced through war.

Knowing she doesn't believe in the Deity of Christ, this is pretty horrible:

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:

What it implies is that man can achieve the same glory/transfiguration that Jesus had, because it was just God working through Jesus.