• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakershalfdozen

Daniel Was A Eunuch

The apocryphal books were between about 1-300 years before Christ, so really wouldn't help us understand Bible customs, etc. from 600 BC.

The apocryphal books were between about 1-300 years before Christ' date=' so really wouldn't help us understand Bible customs, etc. from 600 BC.[/quote']

It's not something I've studied or looked into, I've read most of them though. The ones I didn't are the ones that you could tell where simply.. well.. evil.

Bal and the Dragon though talks about Daniel, and I assumed it was just writings from his time, or Daniel himself, just not God inspired. Never looked into it.

Been a couple years, all I remember from it is how Daniel killed a dragon, and if they had stomachs like a bird the way he did it would of worked great.

You sure about the timing? I trust the bible, God is involved... but other writings, if handed down orally for 300 years, I'd question greatly. It's not even been 300 years and can you imagine what we'd know of George Washington if nothing was written?

One of the reasons we know the apocrypha was fake is because it was written during what is referred to as the silent years - inbetween the last book of the OT and the birth of Christ.

One of the reasons we know the apocrypha was fake is because it was written during what is referred to as the silent years - inbetween the last book of the OT and the birth of Christ.

I knew other writings where done during the silent years, even more then just the apocrypha, but fake, and non-inspired are two different things. If a story is a fake, then it's simply a lie. If it's non-inspired then it may be true, by the eyes of the writer, but in no means infallible.

Is the stance on the apocrypha from people who've researched it that they are totally bogus, or that they simply are not God inspired writings?

They are fakes - at least some of them claim to be written by Biblical characters, and in the time of those characters - though we know that is not the case. Also, the OT was written in Hebrew, yet the Apocrypha was written in Greek. There are occultic elements in some of the stories, Judas Maccabees dies three different ways in the books of Maccabees, teaches magic, praying to the dead, in one of these books is where the Catholics get purgatory, some of the books are just plain mythology - claiming to be Scripture, but they are not the living Word of God, just dead writings.

If today, someone wrote a letter claiming to be from President Lincoln, would you study it and think it was an excellent commentary on the life and times of Lincoln, or just throw it out as fake, an imposter, deceptive?

There are occultic elements in some of the stories' date=' Judas Maccabees dies three different ways in the books of Maccabees, teaches magic, praying to the dead, in one of these books is where the Catholics get purgatory, some of the books are just plain mythology[/quote']

That's true, I also found such a problem with "the book of wisdom" that I only read about 1/10 of it before smelling the evil of it and never bothered reading the rest.

Ok. Thanks for the info. This is something I will have to study farther into the future when I have time, and avoid it till then.