• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Stew Recipe Please!

• Members

I've made stew a few times where the flavor comes out pretty good, but it was just by chance. I really don't know what I'm doing. So.... anyone have a good recipe? We prefer not too many veggies (picky, I know), more potatoes and meat... But I don't know when to add things and such... Too many times its got to boiling with the potatoes in it and creates a mushy mess! :bonK:

• Members

A croc pot is a great tool when making a stew. Put it on the low setting and cook it for at least 7 hours. Yummy.
The basics of my stew are always,
I kilo of diced stewing steak that has been rolled in seasoned flour ( You can brown this off first )
I or 2 onions diced
2 big cans of diced tomatoes
2 or 3 cloves of diced garlic
2 or 3 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
a tablespoon of really good stock powder ( I don't know the brands in America ) I use Vegeta Gormet stock powder
Potatoes and vegetables diced big to taste ( We like lots of veges. Staples are; potatoes, carrots, celery, sweet potato, pumpkin; beans and peas in the last half an hour of cooking )
Enough water to cover
Place all ingredients in crocpot and cook on low until tender and yummy ( About 7 hours )
We usually have this with dumplings as well ( My kids favourite )

• Members

This one is tried and true. It is from a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Oven Beef Stew

1 lb stew beef, cut in cubes.
flour
3/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 can Campbells tomato soup
1 soup can water
1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried basil
small onion, diced, optional
cooking oil--1-2 Tbsp
Coat meat with some flour. Put oil in a skillet and brown meat. It all doesn't have to be browned. Put browned meat in a heavy ovenware type of casserole dish, about 3 to 4 quart size.
Add soup, water, onion, salt, pepper, and basil. Cover and bake at 350-375 for 1 hour. Remove from oven and add 2-3 peeled cubed potatoes and a can of drained sliced carrots, or some raw baby carrots. Cover and bake 1 more hour. I have made this for almost 40 years and we aren't tired of it yet.
This recipe is easy to tweak. It serves 2 to 4 people. CJP56

• Members
What kind of stew? beef' date=' chicken, or pork? I have a recipe using chicken, but you might not like it because of the veggies. But I think it's awesome! :frog[/quote']

beef is what I usually go for... but I might try something new.

And both of those call for tomato something... thats interesting. Is that usually in stew? I would never have guessed.

• Members

Here's a stew that uses chicken if that's ok. This is a bit time consuming, but it's delicious....well, to me it is. :frog

2 3-pound chickens, cut into serving pieces
2 pounds boneless shoulder of veal, in 1 piece
3 quarts water
1/2 cup sugar
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
2 onions, sliced
4 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
2 cups of fresh lima beans
4 cups fresh corn, cut from the cob
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp crushed hot red pepper flakes
4 medium sized potatoes, peeles, cooked and mashed.

In a large pot combine the chicken, veal, water, sugar, bay leaf, basil and parsley. Cook over low heat until the veal and chicken are very tender, about 50 minutes. Then remove the veal and chicken pieces from the broth and set aside. Add the onions, tomatoes , celery and lima beans to the broth. Cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 15 minutes and stir the ofetn. Cut the veal into small pieces. Remove the chicken from the bones and cut into small pieces. Toss the bones and skin. Then return the chicken and veal to the pot. Add the corn and simmer the stew for about 10 minutes. Stir in the butter, red pepper flakes and pepper. Season with salt. Stir the mashed potatoes into the stew. Cook, stirring constantly for about 15 minutes or so until the stew is thick and the potatoes are absorbed. Then serve it hot!

Love,
Madeline

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
This one is tried and true. It is from a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Oven Beef Stew

1 lb stew beef, cut in cubes.
flour
3/4 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 can Campbells tomato soup
1 soup can water
1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried basil
small onion, diced, optional
cooking oil--1-2 Tbsp
Coat meat with some flour. Put oil in a skillet and brown meat. It all doesn't have to be browned. Put browned meat in a heavy ovenware type of casserole dish, about 3 to 4 quart size.
Add soup, water, onion, salt, pepper, and basil. Cover and bake at 350-375 for 1 hour. Remove from oven and add 2-3 peeled cubed potatoes and a can of drained sliced carrots, or some raw baby carrots. Cover and bake 1 more hour. I have made this for almost 40 years and we aren't tired of it yet.
This recipe is easy to tweak. It serves 2 to 4 people. CJP56

I made this a few weeks ago, and it was sooooo good.... my husband loved it when we had it at CJP56's house....so after getting the recipe from her, I made it..... it will go in my favorite recipe file!!! Yummy

• Members
A croc pot is a great tool when making a stew. Put it on the low setting and cook it for at least 7 hours. Yummy.
The basics of my stew are always,
I kilo of diced stewing steak that has been rolled in seasoned flour ( You can brown this off first )
I or 2 onions diced
2 big cans of diced tomatoes
2 or 3 cloves of diced garlic
2 or 3 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
a tablespoon of really good stock powder ( I don't know the brands in America ) I use Vegeta Gormet stock powder
Potatoes and vegetables diced big to taste ( We like lots of veges. Staples are; potatoes, carrots, celery, sweet potato, pumpkin; beans and peas in the last half an hour of cooking )
Enough water to cover
Place all ingredients in crocpot and cook on low until tender and yummy ( About 7 hours )
We usually have this with dumplings as well ( My kids favourite )

Ok, I made a sort of variation on this...
I added V8 instead of tomatoes (I don't like the chunks and that made it so I didn't need celery, or a lot of onion, or any gross veggie chunks :frog ). Used a box of beef broth rather than the water and stock powder, and just put in potatoes and carrots and peas and green beans for veggies. It turned out SOO good!! So, now I know how to make stew! Thanks you guys! hmmm.... I think I might have to try the chicken stew next...