• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Praises from the deaf ministry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was good to see Stanly, a deaf man who has not been at church for a LONG time, in Sunday School and the morning service yesterday! Pray that he will start coming again, and that his wife, Leone, will come again, too.

Praise God for His patience and the calling of His Spirit!
Praying...:icon_pray:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We had a hearing couple join us this week in our deaf class - first time visitors, too. They have been attending a church about 1 hour away, and are looking for something closer to them that has a deaf ministy. Elizabeth was able to talk to them for a little bit. Both know some sign language, but are wanting to learn more. Elizabeth told them about her class she teaches on Wednesday night, and they were interested in coming. They were both there last night for the class, but did not stay for church.

We pray that they might come back and become involved in the ministry. We are trying so hard to grow, but it seems we have hit a road block and can't get anyone else to come.

• Members

Praise the Lord for drawing folks there!

Remember it's not our work or hard efforts that draw folks, but the Holy Ghost. If we are being obedient to the Lord and doing our work wholeheartedly for the Lord in the power of the Holy Ghost, the results are in God's hands and He is pleased with our obedience.

• Members

keep up the great work. I think the best way to reach deaf community is to understand and respect their culture and viewpoint on deafness.

deaf people don't want to deal with people who are considered as "Audism" (think hearing and speaking is superior than deaf and sign language ).It's the attitude that count. Even if people don't think that way, hoping and praising for a cure for deafness can be offensive. Or thinking deaf who can speak must be very intelligent when people who knows and use ASL can be just as intelligent. ASL does NOT lower anyone's intelligent. It just a different culture.. just like how Spanish does not lower anyone's intelligent.

You should be like this... rather they can hear or deaf, use sign language or not, they are still loved and well respected no matter what.

... and remember they know what they need to communicate so listen to their needs

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Pamela, one of our deaf ladies that has not been in church for a while, called us this morning and asked if we could give her a ride to church. She also asked about giving her rides to Wednesday nights services and inquired about our RU program. I pray she will begin to come an a regular basis again.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

We had a good day today in the deaf ministry. The hearing couple that has been coming once in a while was there again today. And, we had 3 first time visitors there today - four if you count the 1 year old that went into the nursery. 2 were deaf, and 1 was hard of hearing. Our teacher's wife met the hard of hearing lady and Wal-Mart and invited her to come.

I talked with our soul-winning director last week, too. I met 5 deaf people at the bus station while waiting to go to work. I asked if there was a way we could get tracts for the deaf, or information about our church's deaf ministry in tract form. He said he never though of that (he has only been on staff for a couple of months) and would look into getting something for us.

• Members

Hello friends

Another first time visitor named Scott visited today! His wife has left him and has taken his 4 kids with her. He has moved back to our area and is searching for a good, fundamental church to attend. Pray for him in this situation and that maybe he will decide to join our church.

Praise God he visited today.

Praying for him and the situation. :pray

Have a good day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jackportd

Hello guys

I am really encouraged about your ministry to the deaf, My youngest daughter signs and has a great burden for the deaf. I told her about your post and she was encouraged to start a deaf ministry in her church in Watertown NY. Praise the Lord.

Its happen good really. I am really very happy by that.
Have a good time.

• Members

I think I counted 3 different "Amen" for Australia. Why would this be so. I thought Australian's all used Auslan? Did the American guy finger spell it? Is there not a special sign like the other countries do? I'm just curious. It is very interesting!!!

• Members

I think I counted 3 different "Amen" for Australia. Why would this be so. I thought Australian's all used Auslan? Did the American guy finger spell it? Is there not a special sign like the other countries do? I'm just curious. It is very interesting!!!

If you ask me, the American never been to church or was being smart. Amen in the U.S. is signed like Canada. Both USA and Canada use American Sign Language. I don't think there is a U.S.A sign language and Canada sign language...yet.

Yes, Australian use Auslan but it also depend on their church as well Catholic have a different type of Amen than protestants. They sign with a prayer in Catholic churches. So that probably explain three different Amens.

• Members

I thought the American amen was odd as well. My wife and I mentioned this to our deaf friends at church and they found it and watched it. The found it interesting to watch and also commented on the American amen sign being wrong.

I love the sign for Sweden!

We had the 3 visitors from a couple weeks ago in class today. Ray, our deaf leader and teacher, taught on salvation today. It was a good day for us in class. Pray that we see more deaf visitors coming to see the Word of God being taught.