• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is your day like?

• Members

Hi. Since this is day number 4 in our homeschool experience............. I was just wandering what is a typical day like in other homeschooler's homes?
We are having fun; but I am very regimented and have the children on a tight schedule.
It is working for us because I like things to be orderly.

• Members

We start at 9:30. My kids do better when they pick the order they want to do their lessons in. One likes to get her math out of the way...2 like to post-pone it until the end.

My son has to stand next to me the entire time he is working and I have to give him time limits to get things done or he loses focus very quickly.

It's very intense to get it done because we have errands and stuff that have to be done afterward...doctor appointments, grocery shopping, library trips, piano lessons...all after
lunch. So it's important that we just get done. Tossing the baby in the mix complicates things. :bonK:

• Administrators

I no longer homeschool, but I did up through fifth grade.

We always started the day at 8:30 with the pledge to the American flag, Christian flag and Bible. Then we sang the National Anthem and a hymn. Reviewed the Bill of Rights. Then we sat down for Bible class.

After Bible, we did reading, history, math, science, in that order. We were usually done by lunchtime, so he had seat work to do in the afternoon. In the afternoon, we would go to the library at least twice if not three times a week to get books. He loved 'em - still does.

I was also babysitting at this time, so, as much as I could, I incorporated the other kids into the classes.

We would have writing along with reading. And crafts one or two days a week (can't remember). I spent a lot of time reading to him. I got some ecelctic science readers that informed us both about a lot of really neat things. One day we were reading about how ants move their nests. That afternoon, Joshua went outside. A few minutes later he hollered for me. I went out there and we spent about an hour watching ants move their nest! It was incredible, and I got to remind Joshua how good God was to us to allow us to see that on the very day we read it!! I'm still in awe of that.

Enjoy, Lee-Anne. It's a wonderful time in all of your lives - I wish I had more children to homeschool!!!

• Members

Our 14 year old starts out the day with excercises and then goes into his Bible lessons followed by the rest of his work. His work is designed for him to understand and do each lesson on his own. I help with science projects and such. Mostly, he does his work on his own and I check it and give tests when it's time. Of course, I (and sometimes his Mom too) listen to his memorizations and speeches and sometimes help him select books for reports.

For our 10 year old, his schedual is much more fluid and relaxed and his Mom does most of the work with him.