• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"man of a dart"

• Members

I've always been taught that Methuselah's name meant something like "when he dies, it shall come", and that this refers to the flood. That may be so; Methuselah did die the year the flood came so there has to be a connection. But look what I "found".

Spear
Hebrew "methuselah = "man of the dart"
According to Strong's, Methuselah means "man of the dart", so I'm thinking....what does that have to do with the flood?
I believe a "dart" is the same as a spear correct?
http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi ... ongs=04968

Emission
Greek "Mathusala" = "when he dies, there shall be an emission".
Now this comes closer but does not tell us WHAT the emission was does it? And it seems like a contrsadiction.
http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi ... ersion=KJV

It seems like a contradiction, but when I put both meanings together it makes sense....

Spear and Emission
Could the combination of the two meanings of Methuselah's name be a picture of this? Is Jesus the "man of a dart"
Jhn 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

• Members

Not sure where you got the Greek definition, as that did not come from Strong's. Not saying it is wrong - just wondering what dictionary they might have used.

You might find this helpful for looking at what Methuselah's name pictures:

A Picture In Genesis Five

• Members
Not sure where you got the Greek definition' date=' as [b']that did not come from Strong's. Not saying it is wrong - just wondering what dictionary they might have used.

You might find this helpful for looking at what Methuselah's name pictures:

A Picture In Genesis Five

Yes, it came from the Strong's Concordance.
His name is "Mathusala" in Luke chapter 3.
Did you click the link I provided? Here is the link again.
http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi ... ersion=KJV

I'll check your link too.

• Members

Actually, Blue Letter Bible is not entirely forthcoming with their notes - they merged Strong's and Theological Dictionary of the NT or OT together. This is all that Strong's has for that entry:

Greek word used in Luke 3: of Hebrew origin (4968); Mathusala (i.e. Methushelach), an antediluvian:--Mathusala.

Hebrew 4968: from 4962 and 7973; man of a dart; Methushelach, an antediluvian patriarch:--Methuselah.

4962: from the same as 4970; properly, an adult (as of full length); by implication, a man (only in the plural)
7973: from 7971; a missile of attack, i.e. spear; also (figuratively) a shoot of growth; i.e. branch

• Members
Actually, Blue Letter Bible is not entirely forthcoming with their notes - they merged Strong's and Theological Dictionary of the NT or OT together. This is all that Strong's has for that entry:

Greek word used in Luke 3: of Hebrew origin (4968); Mathusala (i.e. Methushelach), an antediluvian:--Mathusala.

Hebrew 4968: from 4962 and 7973; man of a dart; Methushelach, an antediluvian patriarch:--Methuselah.

4962: from the same as 4970; properly, an adult (as of full length); by implication, a man (only in the plural)
7973: from 7971; a missile of attack, i.e. spear; also (figuratively) a shoot of growth; i.e. branch

You are right; I checked it out in my Strong's at home.
All this time I thought "blue letter bible" was an online Strong's Concordance. Sorry, my bad.

Jerry, your reference from your website says this:
8. Methuselah - When He Dies, Then Comes Judgment or He Dieth And Judgment Sent Forth(from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown: "This name signifies, 'He dieth, and the sending forth.'")
- The literal fulfillment of his name was in Methuselah's death just prior to or at the time of the sending forth of the flood - he died and the judgment of God came.

Brotherman, it practically means the same thing don't you think?
Blue Letter Bible reference -Methuselah ="when he dies, there shall be an emission"
Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown: "This name[Methuselah] signifies,''He dieth, and the sending forth."

• Members

I was not arguing about the definition, but wondering where it came from - and also stating it did not come from Strong's. I think JFB's definition was based on the Hebrew.

• Members

I thought Strong's was based on the Hebrew as well.
What baffles me, at this point, is how they come up with such drasticly different meanings for the name "Methuselah".
So what does "Methuselah" mean; "man of a dart" or "he dieth, and the sending forth" ....or both? :puzzled:

• Members

Strong's is based on the Hebrew and Greek. If you look at my study, you will see one point I made is that to make some significance or type out of those names, we need to make sure we are not turning to the dictionary of a scholar that is going solo and making up his own definitions. What other sources teach that definition as well? In my Bible program, I have various Bible dictionaries, including Bible names Dictionaries, Strong's, commentaries - there are a few that give some definition, and by studying out what they have to say about a name and seeing what others say, I came to realize that some definitions may only be stated by one man/commentary/dictionry. That tells me he probably is wrong - because if that was the standard definition of a name, then most of the other commentaries/dictionaries should also state that, but at times they don't. At the most it could just be someone's opinion - and I certainly wouldn't want to make some doctrine based on opinion, or teach it like some wonderful insight, when the man had to wing it and make stuff up to arrive at that conclusion first.

• Members
Strong's is based on the Hebrew and Greek. If you look at my study' date=' you will see one point I made is that to make some significance or type out of those names, we need to make sure we are not turning to the dictionary of a scholar that is going solo and making up his own definitions. What other sources teach that definition as well? In my Bible program, I have various Bible dictionaries, including Bible names Dictionaries, Strong's, commentaries - there are a few that give some definition, and by studying out what they have to say about a name and seeing what others say, I came to realize that some definitions may only be stated by one man/commentary/dictionry. That tells me he probably is wrong - because if that was the standard definition of a name, then most of the other commentaries/dictionaries should also state that, but at times they don't. At the most it could just be someone's opinion - and I certainly wouldn't want to make some doctrine based on opinion, or teach it like some wonderful insight, when the man had to wing it and make stuff up to arrive at that conclusion first.

You may find this informative:
James Strong did not construct Strong's Concordance by himself; it was constructed with the effort of more than a hundred colleagues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong's_Concordance

Hitchcock's- "he has sent his death"
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hitchcock/bibl ... Methusaleh

"he has sent his death"
http://www.lwbc.co.uk/bible_names.htm

"when he dies, there shall be an emission"
http://www.studylight.org/lex/grk/view.cgi?number=3103

Easton's Smith's and Strong's all say "man of the dart"
Easton's Bible Dictionary- "man of the dart"
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/easton/ebd2.ht ... Methuselah

Smith's Bible Dictionary - "man of the dart"
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/smith_w/bibled ... methuselah

Strong's Concordance- "man of the dart"

Could you show me a lexicon or concordance definition of the word "Methuselah" which uses the words "flood" or "judgment"?

• Members

The word "flood" is not part of the definition - the studying of the context leads many to believe that is what is in view.

As far as the definition of "When He Dies, Then Comes Judgment or He Dieth And Judgment Sent Forth", I will see what resources I have.

Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown states this: "This name signifies, 'He dieth, and the sending forth.'"

Fausset's Bible Dictionary: "he dies and it (the flood) is sent."

John Gill makes this comment in Genesis 10:24: "And Arphaxad begat Salah,? Or Shelach which signifies "a sending forth"; that is, of waters: it is part of the name of Methuselah, given him by his father, as prophetic of the flood, see Ge 5:21 and Arphaxad, who was born two years after the flood, gives this name to his first born, as commemorative of it."

Gill on Jude verse 14: "that he had a spirit of prophecy is evident from the name he gave to his son Methuselah, which signifies, "when he dies is the emission", or the sending out of the waters of the flood, which came to pass the very year he did die."

Webster's 1828 Dictionary's definition of emission: "to send out. The act of sending or throwing out." This would certainly fit the idea of sending out judgment.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary: "Methuselah signifies, 'he dies, there is a dart,' 'a sending forth,' namely, of the deluge, which came the year that Methuselah died."

John Wesley's Commentary: "Methuselah signifies, He dies, there is a sending forth, viz. of the deluge, which came the very year that Methuselah died."

This is all I have handy on the Bible program at work. The reconciliation between these ideas seems to be: when he dies, then the judgment is sent forth, as a dart is shot out." In other words, it is not referring to weapons being shot out, but judgment being shot out, like a dart is.