• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Members

I am a firm believer that women have no business wearing pants, I don't own or wear any pants, and I won't even a wear a skirt that has a front fly zipper. I don't wear any dress or skirt that has a slit in it either. (It sure does make shopping difficult, but that is ok.) Hee hee.
Like I said before, I do wear culottes, and they are very modest. A lot of culottes either are too short, or don't have the inverted pleats in the back, and or front, or aren't full enough in the leg. Made correctly, culottes look just like a skirt. A lot of skirts these days are anything but modest. I will quit while I am ahead. :lol CJP56

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Amelia Jenks Bloomer (1818-1894) invented a loose pair of trousers for women gathered at the knee, which were named after her ("bloomers").

Known for her leading role in promoting (much-needed) dress reform for women, Bloomer was also a committed feminist and temperance worker. The magazine that she founded and edited, the Lily, has been called the first women's suffrage journal in the U.S.

She became a schoolteacher, which led to her meeting her husband, Dexter C. Bloomer. Although only 21, Bloomer had clearly already developed her own feminist philosophy, as their marriage vows excluded any mention of "obeying". Shortly after her marriage, Bloomer began writing editorials for upstate New York papers. This experience must have been essential when, in 1849, she began the Lily, in protest over the exclusion of women from the governing organizations of the NY temperance movement. Over time, the magazine developed both professionalism and an increasingly feminist slant, accepting articles from figures such a Elizabeth Cady Stanton. This was the organ through which Bloomer promoted the "bifurcated skirt" designed by Elizabeth Smith Miller but ever after denominated "bloomers". At its zenith, the Lily had a subscription of 6,000, and it remained successful until Bloomer sold it.

Although Bloomer was never wholly successful in the dress reform which has kept her famous, the ideal of the "sensible women" promoted by the Lily inspired numerous feminists, including Louisa May Alcott, who explicitly addressed dress reform in Eight Cousins, and invariably created down-to-earth heroines struggling to become "sensible women."

Bloomer wrote about Iowa's suffrage movement for the History of Woman Suffrage (1881-1886), an early attempt by Stanton and others to record and honor the efforts of men and women on behalf of women's emancipation

Bloomers-1894.jpg

• Members
From Wikipedia:
The word culottes is of French language origin, and is the diminutive form of the word "cul," which means "backside," from the Latin "culus." Historically, the word "culottes" has always referred to the knee-breeches commonly worn by gentlemen of the European upper-classes from the late Middle Ages or Renaissance through the early 19th century. Culottes were normally closed and fastened about the leg, to the knee, by either buttons, a strap and buckle, or by a draw-string. During the French Revolution (late 18th century), the working-class revolutionaries were known as the "sans-culottes" (literally, "without culottes"), and derived their name from their preference for pantaloons rather than the upper-class culottes.

I guess my wife will have to get rid of her culottes as they were originally men's clothing.

Yup. Same story for T-shirts as well - originally formal underwear for soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-shirt

• Members
To be honest, PastorJ, (Mr. Stirring the Pot haha).... its when pastors and other respected leaders try to prove why its OKAY for women to wear pants that people lose respect for those of us still teaching that its best for women to wear dresses.

My husband and many other good men we respect have studied it out and come to the conclusion that it is the most Biblical for women to wear loose dresses or skirts. However around this area hardly ANYONE, even IFB pastors, believe that way. It makes it hard to continue to preach (for my husband) what he feels God wants us to do.

I have never understood why people try to force the issue on a lower standard. For instance I may watch a movie you wouldn't watch. But I'm not gonna get on here and try to prove why I am allowed to watch it. I will just quietly watch it. So why do people who think its ok for women to wear pants constantly try to prove why its ok? Conviction maybe? :Bleh :lol

Perhaps its because of the influence those TV shows have on us when we are setting in the privacy of our own home.

Seems to me TV shows and movies are having more influence on people, even more so than the Bible. That should not be so.

And that is why we have the dress down generation, the influence of TV and movies.

One more thing, I've seen women wear dresses while riding horses, they were always very full and down to the ankle dress.

• Members

Seems we pick and choose what parts of the Bible we want to follow?. Given in to itching ears?

I always understood that woman aren't to wear what a man wore. Men wore "crotched" garments and women did not. So are we supposed to buck the Bible and wear that which pertaineth to the man?

If I want to obey the spirit of the verse then I'll buy a NIV (Non Inspired Version).

No way man, KJV and literal interpretation all the way.

• Members

Perhaps its because of the influence those TV shows have on us when we are setting in the privacy of our own home.

Seems to me TV shows and movies are having more influence on people, even more so than the Bible. That should not be so.

And that is why we have the dress down generation, the influence of TV and movies.

One more thing, I've seen women wear dresses while riding horses, they were always very full and down to the ankle dress.

I think they use a side saddle for that kind of riding .

• Members

My FIL hates women wearing pants to church, but that is his only thing. I don't have a problem w/ pants on women. I couldn't imagine only wearing skirts or dresses. That would get old quick! I like my Limited jeans to much. As for the 3inch heals comment, LOL, I love mine!! LOL As short as I am, I like feeling a bit taller!! :Green :Green

I would like to think that if God ever laid it on my heart to give up pants that I would do so, however I'd admit, it wouldn't be easy!!

• Members

I think they use a side saddle for that kind of riding .

No, not the western women. The side saddle was an invention of the high class eastern women in the early western days. You know, those who went to finishing school and looked down their nose at everyone else who was not highly educated in the latest fashions, I mean the latest worldly ways.

No, the western women rode horses using the regular saddle, wearing a very full skirt that reached down to their ankles, they were extermly modest and properly covered and did not wear those skin tight clothing that is not modest at all.

• Members
No, not the western women. The side saddle was an invention of the high class eastern women in the early western days. You know, those who went to finishing school and looked down their nose at everyone else who was not highly educated in the latest fashions, I mean the latest worldly ways.

Are you saying that fashion is worldly?

• Members

The fashion industry is the very embodiment of worldliness. Look at runway models and how they live. Look at fashion designers and how they live. Then the so-called fashions are copied in the sweat shops in third world countries, with people living in virtual slavery just so that manical moneyed Americans can be part of the latest fashion fad! The fashion industry is lust, greed, lasciviousness, covetousness, and vanity all rolled into one.