• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Members

From Wikipedia:
The word culottes is of French language origin, and is the diminutive form of the word "cul," which means "backside," from the Latin "culus." Historically, the word "culottes" has always referred to the knee-breeches commonly worn by gentlemen of the European upper-classes from the late Middle Ages or Renaissance through the early 19th century. Culottes were normally closed and fastened about the leg, to the knee, by either buttons, a strap and buckle, or by a draw-string. During the French Revolution (late 18th century), the working-class revolutionaries were known as the "sans-culottes" (literally, "without culottes"), and derived their name from their preference for pantaloons rather than the upper-class culottes.

I guess my wife will have to get rid of her culottes as they were originally men's clothing.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to disagree with this logic. In the Bible, skirts were only mentioned when a man was wearing them... so that would make them men's clothing, right?

Deuteronomy 5:22 teaches the principle of not being cross-dressers. Culturally today, culottes are a woman's split-skirt.

The main thing we should worry about in regards to clothing is modesty, and there are many things a woman can do by wearing culottes that she can't do by wearing a skirt. (Riding a horse for example)

It'll be interesting to see the other discussion on this, though. :saint

• Members

Hmmmm. Culottes must really be mens' clothing since all the male basketball players seem to be wearing them these days!!! :lol: I make and wear culottes a lot. They are modest and comfortable, with a pleat front and back, a side zipper, and I don't intend to stop wearing them any time soon. :Bleh CJP56

• Members

Hmmm, what about boxer shorts? They seem to be a favorite for a lot of women to wear these days.

In this rural area many of the men and women wear blue jeans and t-shirts.

Actual womens clothes, unless you count the slutty looking stuff, isn't seen as often anymore.

Of course, we do have Mennonites and Amish in the area and while they all wear black and white, all the women wear dresses and the men wear pants and shirts.

What's really got me these past few years is the number of women I see out in public in their pajamas! It used to be that most women wouldn't want to be seen in their jammies at home, let alone go out in public wearing them.

There really are very few standards for dress anymore that are "normal". When I was a child everyone knew what to wear, and what not to wear, to every occasion. Today it seems to depend upon the trend of the moment and peoples attitudes or moods.

• Members
Hmmm, what about boxer shorts? They seem to be a favorite for a lot of women to wear these days.

In this rural area many of the men and women wear blue jeans and t-shirts.

Actual womens clothes, unless you count the slutty looking stuff, isn't seen as often anymore.

Of course, we do have Mennonites and Amish in the area and while they all wear black and white, all the women wear dresses and the men wear pants and shirts.

What's really got me these past few years is the number of women I see out in public in their pajamas! It used to be that most women wouldn't want to be seen in their jammies at home, let alone go out in public wearing them.

There really are very few standards for dress anymore that are "normal". When I was a child everyone knew what to wear, and what not to wear, to every occasion. Today it seems to depend upon the trend of the moment and peoples attitudes or moods.

Huh, must be the Amish in our area have gone liberal as well! I saw an Amish woman this morning in a green dress! Can YOU believe it???

• Administrators

The main thing we should worry about in regards to clothing is modesty, and there are many things a woman can do by wearing culottes that she can't do by wearing a skirt. (Riding a horse for example)

Modesty is just one of the facets of dress that scripture teaches. But I just wanted to say that I have ridden horses in a skirt. It can be done if it's done properly.

Huh, must be the Amish in our area have gone liberal as well! I saw an Amish woman this morning in a green dress! Can YOU believe it???
:freak: :lol:

• Members

In our home all the males wear slacks and decent shirts, the females wear dresses beyond the knee while seated, typically at least mid-calf with no slits. Nothing is form fitting or tight. People may call us wierd, but they can never call us immodest! :wink And we're all comfortable to boot. I can't see how some of today's fashions can possible be called comfortable, especially womens clothes. You couldn't convince me that 3 inch heals feel good. My wife, recalling her jeans and form fitting days, says she is much more comfortable now. And guys, can you tell me that wearing your pants half way down your butt would be comfortable?

PastorJ's definition of culottes sounds a lot like knickers to me (with the draw string). They can still be seen worn by male golf players.

• Members

To be honest, PastorJ, (Mr. Stirring the Pot haha).... its when pastors and other respected leaders try to prove why its OKAY for women to wear pants that people lose respect for those of us still teaching that its best for women to wear dresses.

My husband and many other good men we respect have studied it out and come to the conclusion that it is the most Biblical for women to wear loose dresses or skirts. However around this area hardly ANYONE, even IFB pastors, believe that way. It makes it hard to continue to preach (for my husband) what he feels God wants us to do.

I have never understood why people try to force the issue on a lower standard. For instance I may watch a movie you wouldn't watch. But I'm not gonna get on here and try to prove why I am allowed to watch it. I will just quietly watch it. So why do people who think its ok for women to wear pants constantly try to prove why its ok? Conviction maybe? :Bleh :lol

• Administrators
To be honest, PastorJ, (Mr. Stirring the Pot haha).... its when pastors and other respected leaders try to prove why its OKAY for women to wear pants that people lose respect for those of us still teaching that its best for women to wear dresses.

My husband and many other good men we respect have studied it out and come to the conclusion that it is the most Biblical for women to wear loose dresses or skirts. However around this area hardly ANYONE, even IFB pastors, believe that way. It makes it hard to continue to preach (for my husband) what he feels God wants us to do.

I have never understood why people try to force the issue on a lower standard. For instance I may watch a movie you wouldn't watch. But I'm not gonna get on here and try to prove why I am allowed to watch it. I will just quietly watch it. So why do people who think its ok for women to wear pants constantly try to prove why its ok? Conviction maybe? :Bleh :lol

:clap: :clap:

• Members

Most of the people I've run across in this category have at some time or another been dealt with in a harsh manner by those of the opposite opinion. I'm with you Suzy, it is sometimes best we don't bring it up, but when we do, we have to also not be harsh--whatever position we are. You brought up movies.......boy, there are days I'd like to get on a public soapbox at church about video games.....but I don't. Standards are lax in every facet of life these days.....not just modesty.

• Members

I'm just of the opinion that we can all get higher standards. Why should I get on here and try to prove, say, a PG-13 movie is okay (I'm not saying I watch these, just using it as example) when God might convict me to get rid of it next year? Why try to prove that a lower standard is okay with God? Doesn't God want us to be as far from the world as possible in every facet? I understand that everyone is seperating at a different rate and in different areas, which is why we should not always prove that "I'm okay right now" because God may NOT think we are "okay" but is just allowing us to grow.

• Administrators
I'm just of the opinion that we can all get higher standards. Why should I get on here and try to prove' date=' say, a PG-13 movie is okay (I'm not saying I watch these, just using it as example) when God might convict me to get rid of it next year? Why try to prove that a lower standard is okay with God? Doesn't God want us to be as far from the world as possible in every facet? I understand that everyone is seperating at a different rate and in different areas, which is why we should not always prove that "I'm okay right now" because God may NOT think we are "okay" but is just allowing us to grow.[/quote']

*SIZZLE* :goodpost: