• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Members

If a woman is dressed modestly and carries herself in a decent manner and yet a guy is still wrongfully aroused by something (like seeing her heels) then the problem really isn't with the woman, but with the guy. A guy with this sort of problem needs to deal with this. He needs to take this particular sin problem to the Lord, repent and seek strength in Christ to overcome this sin. If need be, he might have to remove himself from situations where he may be tempted.

That said, if a woman knows a certain man has a particular weakness (such as the heel issue) they should humbly do what they can to avoid being a potential stumbling block to that man.

I don't think a dress code should be changed because one person has a particular sin problem. Better for that one person to biblically deal with that sin problem himself, even if that might mean he needs to remove himself from temptation for a time.

that was basically the understanding I came to. If I have a friend or something that I know has the problem, I'll try to help him out, but I can't guess what every guy I ever meet might have a strange problem with and accommodate them. I just need to do what is right, and then if they have a problem, its on them.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

that was basically the understanding I came to. If I have a friend or something that I know has the problem, I'll try to help him out, but I can't guess what every guy I ever meet might have a strange problem with and accommodate them. I just need to do what is right, and then if they have a problem, its on them.

:amen:

If we are walking in Christ as we should and yet someone still has a problem then the problem is one they need to take to the Lord and deal with.

• Members

Maybe his point was to be that those "rules" were pharisaical in nature. Making people into whited sepulchres by telling them how to dress down to what kind of glasses they could wear. Straining at gnats. I hope he preached about that.

I hope he preached about that, too, but it almost seems to me that it would have been most effective to have stayed dressed the way he was and then preached a good convicting sermon on the matter. Anyone who might have been offended or shocked that he changed his clothing to go against the Pastor (who obviously endorsed the "rules") might have been too preoccupied with his appearance to have heard the message through the sermon. Just a thought.

• Members

I agree - he was discrediting his own message. The Bible teaches we are to obey the rulers over us in the church - and here he goes and openly rebels against what was taught in that specific church. That certainly is not right.

• Members
I agree - he was discrediting his own message. The Bible teaches we are to obey the rulers over us in the church - and here he goes and openly rebels against what was taught in that specific church. That certainly is not right.

Agreed!

There is a right way and a wrong way to address matters of disagreement. This was the wrong way.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

From Wikipedia:
The word culottes is of French language origin, and is the diminutive form of the word "cul," which means "backside," from the Latin "culus." Historically, the word "culottes" has always referred to the knee-breeches commonly worn by gentlemen of the European upper-classes from the late Middle Ages or Renaissance through the early 19th century. Culottes were normally closed and fastened about the leg, to the knee, by either buttons, a strap and buckle, or by a draw-string. During the French Revolution (late 18th century), the working-class revolutionaries were known as the "sans-culottes" (literally, "without culottes"), and derived their name from their preference for pantaloons rather than the upper-class culottes.

I guess my wife will have to get rid of her culottes as they were originally men's clothing.

not to trying be for or against culottes, but just about every clothing used to be man clothing. It seem to me that like whenever a man wear it, a woman wants to wear it too... Then it start looking like a woman's clothing and the man doesn't want to look like a woman. women love wearing boyish clothing (like a tie) for fashion statement.

All it matters to me is that it is modest and look very feminine to people of today generation. I mean, If I was man, I wouldn't wear a wig because today generation see wigs as a woman thing.

• Members

I had one pair of culottes but they are made to look like a full, pleated skirt. I bought this one!! I've had them for years and a girlfriends husband was so shocked when she revealed they were culottes but that we couldn't find this pattern anywhere. This is man I have alway's admired his walk with the Lord and here is just a really simple action that will show you why. For week's on-line he searched for a culotte pattern like this without any of us knowing. Now, my girlfriend is a great seamstress and has taught their daughter. Suddenly her husband came and showed her all the collotte pattern's he was able to find on-line but explained none were acceptable to him. He showed one but said it wasn't full enough and he had a question. He wanted to know could she make that pattern fuller or could she try making a SKIRT patterns into collottes? !! That works!! Take a full simple skirt pattern and especially if pleated all around the top you come out with a very modest looking skirt but their cullottes , so if your gardening, cleaning out a closet or climbing a ladder etc.,or your little girls are playing even just on a swing can be an issue sometimes! This has been a wonderful inexpensve way to provide in an area where we have found needed at times! Otherwise you sometime's get stuck wearing a more fitted skirt than you would like just so it won't fly up on a windy day! I just had to share this blessing ! His by Grace P.S. The softer the fabric and the pleates all around from the waistband make for the best coullotte's that look just like a full skirt but give you extra modesty when needing to do somethings!