• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Below is a wonderful poem Audrey Hepburn wrote when asked to share her beauty tips. It was read at her funeral years later.

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone. People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and one for helping others.

[bible]1 Samuel 16:7[/bible]

• Members

Rom 15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
Rom 15:2 Let every one of us please his neighbor for his good to edification.

Please think about that a bit more.

Seems its quite clear, if we are strong, that is great, but in ever step of our life we ought to consider others, not our self.

I feel what they did was completely biblical.

• Members
Here's another example of legalism and focusing on appearance (for appearance sake):

I have an online friend who was visiting a church with these restrictions:

No pants on women
Men were to wear only suits with white shirts and ties (no pastel or other colored shirts allowed)
No cowboy boots (for men)
No wire-rimmed/framed glasses
I'm not sure if men were allowed to have beards and mustaches or not. There was a guest speaker there that morning. After the announcement time (after the guest speaker found out what the "rules" were), he went out to his van and changed his clothes. He came back into the sanctuary with a pastel pink shirt and tie, his wire framed glasses and cowboy boots and sat down. They had already invited him to speak so that's what he did. I guess he made their "rules" look pretty ridiculous! :Green

And to think, I wear cowboy boots every Sunday.

But, I think this man showed disrespect, plus rebellion.

If he has already been dressed in that manner, that's OK, but changing that way was not OK.

• Members

And to think, I wear cowboy boots every Sunday.

But, I think this man showed disrespect, plus rebellion.

If he has already been dressed in that manner, that's OK, but changing that way was not OK.

I have been to churches where this is considered perfectly apporpriate men's attire Bro. Jerry

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/suits_spor ... l/apparel/

However, here in Florida it is considered acceptable for men to dress like this (see news article link below)- which I think is just plain WRONG and unGodly!

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/special ... ryid=54757

• Members

I understand that, and I've even thought of that, but if that guy had that sort of problem, to where he had to even mention it to others it was so bad, should he have been allowed to work on staff at the college? The college girls had to conform to the rules, sure, but theres still church, and the grocery store, and every where else he's going to have a problem. I know some guys who are "turned on" by long flowing hair... does that mean we have to always have our hair pinned up so they don't have a problem. But then I know some guys who don't like a ladies hair being up because the exposed neck is a "turn on" to them.... what option is left for you to do with your hair? same with a long flowing skirt vs. a shorter straight skirt. Where do we draw the line on how much we conform? I hope I don't sound rude, but as a girl, these are real issues we have to deal with (I bet some guys didn't know there was this much... and you wondered why it takes so long to get dressed in the morning! :Bleh ).

• Members
I'm not saying anything is wrong with the way the man was dressed after he changed clothes.

The problem was he did not show respect for that church.

When I come into you home I'm suppose to show you respect and go by your wishes.

This man showed only rebellion.

I agree, he probably didn't think of it this way, but his actions made it appear as if he was trying to cause division.

• Members
I'm not saying anything is wrong with the way the man was dressed after he changed clothes.

The problem was he did not show respect for that church.

When I come into you home I'm suppose to show you respect and go by your wishes.

This man showed only rebellion.

Maybe his point was to be that those "rules" were pharisaical in nature. Making people into whited sepulchres by telling them how to dress down to what kind of glasses they could wear. Straining at gnats. I hope he preached about that.

• Members

I understand that, and I've even thought of that, but if that guy had that sort of problem, to where he had to even mention it to others it was so bad, should he have been allowed to work on staff at the college? The college girls had to conform to the rules, sure, but theres still church, and the grocery store, and every where else he's going to have a problem. I know some guys who are "turned on" by long flowing hair... does that mean we have to always have our hair pinned up so they don't have a problem. But then I know some guys who don't like a ladies hair being up because the exposed neck is a "turn on" to them.... what option is left for you to do with your hair? same with a long flowing skirt vs. a shorter straight skirt. Where do we draw the line on how much we conform? I hope I don't sound rude, but as a girl, these are real issues we have to deal with (I bet some guys didn't know there was this much... and you wondered why it takes so long to get dressed in the morning! :Bleh ).

If a woman is dressed modestly and carries herself in a decent manner and yet a guy is still wrongfully aroused by something (like seeing her heels) then the problem really isn't with the woman, but with the guy. A guy with this sort of problem needs to deal with this. He needs to take this particular sin problem to the Lord, repent and seek strength in Christ to overcome this sin. If need be, he might have to remove himself from situations where he may be tempted.

That said, if a woman knows a certain man has a particular weakness (such as the heel issue) they should humbly do what they can to avoid being a potential stumbling block to that man.

I don't think a dress code should be changed because one person has a particular sin problem. Better for that one person to biblically deal with that sin problem himself, even if that might mean he needs to remove himself from temptation for a time.

• Members

Maybe his point was to be that those "rules" were pharisaical in nature. Making people into whited sepulchres by telling them how to dress down to what kind of glasses they could wear. Straining at gnats. I hope he preached about that.

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head sister! :goodpost: