• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
The dress I posted is not form-fitting. The jacket is not either. What it seems to boil down to with some of you is color choice and fabric patterns.

If not form fitting then very close to it. You can definately make out the outline of the body.

Now, one of you brought up the covering of the thigh. That dress is not going to ride up past the knees when a woman is seated.

The hem is just below the knee standing. When seated I'd have tho believe it would be bordeline on the knee. Regardless she would definately have to sit carefully.

It seems that much of what is being brought up here is personal taste as opposed to true modesty issues. I knew that when I posted that dress, there would be ways for you to find fault. I personally see nothing wrong with it and I am an uber-modest person.

My wife and I have discussed these issues on several occasions. She was actually convicted on modest dress well before I was. The blue dress with jacket is relatively form fitting and shows the whole leg below the knee. The high heals (though most women will say they are to add to their height) are intended to enhance the shape of the calf to make it more appealing. More appealing! These are a woman's words, not mine. Dress like this is intended to draw the eye of others. To make the wearer more attractive through more positively showing off her figure. This is putting a stumbling block in front of brethen that struggle in this area. Again, a woman's words, not mine. This does, however, validate Jerry's earlier posting.

• Members

I'm a guy through and through and that dress does not offer any temptation to me. Granted, I won't turn my head the other direction like I might with a woman in a sack, but there's nothing sensual about it. Is the dress supposed to be so "unform-fitting" that we can't even tell whether it's a woman or not? Except for the fact that she's got a huge dress on, of course. I think people are taking this to the extreme. The principles is, dress modestly. That doesn't mean that we have to find the most repulsive dresses possible. I believe that a woman should dress to attract her husband. A woman can be perfectly modest in modern stylish clothes. In fact, she can be more modest because she won't be sticking out like a sore thumb whenever she goes anywhere. I don't think it's a good testimony, either. I certainly wouldn't want to send the message that when you become a Christian that you have to dress frumpish.

• Members

Now you are arguing your preferences. The definition of the word "apparel" means loose and flowing - if a woman's garment is not loose and flowing, then it doesn't fit, regardless of someone's preferences. It has nothing to do with style - though much of the world's styles are in contrast to the Bible. It has nothing to do with whether one particular man finds a particular garment sensual or not - does it fit the Bible criteria? When the Bible criteria is determined, then you can gauge each garment and see how it fits or doesn't.

No matter how you look at it, modest clothing will stick out in our culture*. There is no way to avoid that. But are we** sticking out because we are pushing the boundaries or because we are being a peculiar people zealous of pleasing the Lord?

*When miniskirts, dresses and skirts showing cleavage, and formfitting clothing are all in fashion, any attempt at true Biblical modesty will be noticed - because it will be different from what those around the modest woman will be wearing.

**Both men and women should dress modestly. The Bible speaks about covering our nakedness - that applies to both men and women. It is just as wrong for a man to go out in public with no shirt, with speedos or low hanging jeans, with skin tight clothing, as it is for a woman to wear immodest clothing.

• Members

:goodpost:

I agree.

Contrary to Kevin's opinion, I believe that a woman should look as in the A) picture and save herself (at home) for her husband. I wouldn't want someone eyeballing my wife because she was wearing a form fitting outfit.

I also wouldn't to put a stumbling block before another man. But Jerry summed it up well.

• Members

the flowing skirts are usually the A line I think. I know I prefer A line because its far easier to walk in. I have a few skirts that are not straight but not full A line and I find that I feel like I am exercising my legs even more so when I walk my dog and my knees keep making imprints on them, good thing one is a stretch fleece and the other is a stretch denim or would be not taking full length strides at all. a Tiered Skirt can all be very nice and give freedom of movement.

I think it was considered dangerous for women to wear a side saddle. and someone mentioned PJs outside. I think they are not PJs but clothing made from the same material that we associate with PJ's. I have been having to turn up my skirts that I wear in the winter because they were at my ankle and it was getting quite difficult to walk out and about with all the snow we got this year. So what if a woman wants to climb mount Kilimanjaro, is it expected for her to wear a skirt climbing it? or if a woman is jumping form a plane.

A friend who belonged to a church where many came from Amish and Mennonite churches and where they all wore the same pattern dress said when she looked up modest she said it said not drawing attention to oneself. She was saying that The Amish and the Mennonites are drawing attention to themselves by how they dress and as did the women at her Church. I think if you dress like you are from the 1800's you are not being modest, one can be modest and also be decent in appearance. I made one of those 3/4 sleeve jackets that are in all the stores at my sewing class, its fashionable, modest and loose. we can find patterns and update them as well. In my class there is a new volunteer studying fashion design and she told me that I could take a plain skirt and do embroydry on it when I told her how I like the nygard skirts and various clothing but it costs so much money. there was a skirt that was A line with brown lace, red/brown tartan, brown suede that was so pretty.

this is one I was thinking of sewing at some point. she did a few changes to it, I am not sure what fabric I would use
Simp3627.jpg

for the summer I have many skirts like this and some go to my ankle. they are modest and fashionable its a peasant style skirt.
peasantskirt.jpg

• Members

I found this tutorial on making a tiered skirt

1-2-3 Tiered Skirt

I shrunk some yardage and fell about 50 cm short for the dress I wanted to make, so I turned the fabric into a skirt. This is an easy design that will adjust to many sizes. The measurements are for my skirt?I?m about 5?7? and I wear a US size 10/12.

The skirt is three tiers, with the top tier falling just above the knees with 15-20 cm ease to make for comfortable walking without bulk around the waist. The lower tiers are about half the length of the one above. Each tier is 1.5 times as wide as the previous one. This gives enough fullness for suitable flair while dancing, but without using too much fabric.

tieredSkirt.gif
tieredSkirt.gif
The Cutting
From a 220 cm length of 95 cm wide fabric, cut the following pieces (measurements are approximate):

* 2 - 63 cm W x 50 cm H

* 2 - 95 cm W x 28 cm H

* 3 - 95 cm W x 1/3 the remaining material (about 15 cm)

I used a ruler to measure and then folded the fabric and cut carefully on the fold. I?m a really lazy cutter!

The Sewing

1. Sew the tiers into tubes on the short sides

2. Hem the bottom one with a narrow hem.

3. Sew a casing for elastic in the widest one.

4. On the top edge of the middle and lower tiers, baste with contrasting thread, breaking the stitching at each side seam

5. Mark the center, center back, and sides of each section with pins

6. Pull the gathering basting on the middle tier up to meet the pins on the top tier

7. Pin into place. I use 8-16 pins per tier to keep things from moving too much in the next step.

8. Sew tier to top, keeping gathered side up. This helps prevent the edge of the gathers from folding over into the seam as you sew.

9. Turn the seam allowance up. Press, if you desire.

10. Topstitch seam allowance to previous tier.

11. Repeat gathering and stitching for the lower tier.

12. Fit elastic; thread through casing.

13. Sew elastic together and close casing.

14. Enjoy your skirt.

I found a picture online that may help also to show what the person was making

192P.jpg

• Members
She was saying that The Amish and the Mennonites are drawing attention to themselves by how they dress and as did the women at her Church. I think if you dress like you are from the 1800's you are not being modest, one can be modest and also be decent in appearance.

That's an interesting and not often expressed point of view. :smile I agree with her. It is possible to dress modestly and stylishly at the same time. We don't live in the 19th century, so there's no reason to dress as though we did -- unless of course we're involved in some kind of reenactment (i.e. Civil War) project. Dressing that way on a daily basis would call attention to ourselves.

BTW, I like those tiered skirts. I have 3 of them already and just bought another one from Chadwick's clearance section. It's multi-colored and has a velvet "burnout" pattern.

• Members

After my 4th baby, I was dressing like the woman in the first pic Kevin posted. God really got on me about that. He didn't let me go until a)I started losing weight and B) I quit dressing like a frump and add some updates to my wardrobe.

After I did those 2 things, the Lord began to help me in other areas.

So, there you have it. I am not arguing MY preferences. I am arguing God's leading.

• Members

I don't see how apparel means what you claim it means. Literally interpreting the Bible, apparel simply means clothing. Modest means orderly. I don't see anywhere in Scripture where a woman is commanded to wear loose, hanging garments. Obviously, if it is too tight, it will be immodest. However, it doesn't have to be a sack either. My wife can save herself for me at home as well as look decent in public. I think a woman is a poor representation of Christianity when she goes out dressed frumpishly. Of course, if you guys like your wives in that kind of clothing, more power to you. I can't tell you how I would feel if my wife ever had the appearance of "option a." *shudders*

• Members
After my 4th baby, I was dressing like the woman in the first pic Kevin posted. God really got on me about that. He didn't let me go until a)I started losing weight and B) I quit dressing like a frump and add some updates to my wardrobe.

So, there you have it. I am not arguing MY preferences. I am arguing God's leading.

:amen::goodpost:

My wife can save herself for me at home as well as look decent in public.

Good posting too, Kevin -- I don't think we have to choose between the two. It is a false dichotomy.

• Members

Good post, I've seen similar things happen in other situations.

• Members
It is possible to dress modestly and stylishly at the same time. We don't live in the 19th century' date=' so there's no reason to [b']dress as though we did -- unless of course we're involved in some kind of reenactment (i.e. Civil War) project. Dressing that way on a daily basis would call attention to ourselves.

Agreed. My wife dresses very sylish IMO and never has a dress that is more than an inch or two away from the ankle. None of the clothes she wears in any way look 19th century, and I happen to think she looks very pretty in most everything she wears.

It seems as though some people believe the dress has to be cut a little higher or the neck a little lower to be stylish. This is true if you are trying to conform to the world, but we are supposed to be conforming as Christians.

• Members

Y'all really think the Option A dress looks frumpy? I think it looks nice.

I like lots of other styles to, and if that dress were different color or pattern I might not like that one.

I'm not stuck on any particular style, I just like what I like. Maybe I'm not that picky or something.

One thing I didn't care for was the woman who came to our church a couple of times wearing a very, very tight and short mini-skirt which required her to sit with her legs completely together, sitting sideways, and with her hands pressed to what tiny bit of skirt was barely covering her essential to be covered area. :ooops I'm glad she sat where my sons couldn't see her.

• Members
One thing I didn't care for was the woman who came to our church a couple of times wearing a very, very tight and short mini-skirt which required her to sit with her legs completely together, sitting sideways, and with her hands pressed to what tiny bit of skirt was barely covering her essential to be covered area.

Sounds to me like she observed what the other women were wearing, realized she wasn't dressed appropriately for church, and then tried to cover herself as best she could. I'm guessing she hasn't come back since those first two times.