• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Landmark Baptist Curriculum

• Members

I was talking to an individual who uses this curriculum. They told me that they spend about a 1/2 hour per day on school to complete all of the work for the 10th grade curriculum.

Anyone using this curriculum out there that can tell me if this is how long it should take?

• Members

I don't use it so don't ban me for replying, please. :Green

I googled it and it appears to be similar to ACE paces. The way the products look and their cost make me think that.

IF it is like Paces, maybe this person does 2 pages a day per subject and just finishes quickly? Not a very comprehensive education, IMO...

• Administrators

I never taught using this, but I did teach ACE for a time. They are very similar, but Landmark is Baptist by distinction. IMO, 1/2 hour per day for 10th grade is not enough time for what they need to learn - in any curriculum!!! Granted, homeschooling can enable students to learn more quickly than in a traditional classroom, but not that fast!!

My parents had my nephew in a school that used that curriculum...and ended up really not liking it because there were several mistakes in it. They claim they will correct them, maybe they will. But a truly professional work would be proofed plenty before sending out. I'm not talking printing errors. I'm talking factual errors. Not good in a curriculum.

My nephew is now in the School of Tomorrow (ACE) at home. He is in 11th grade, and it takes him all morning to do his work. He works steadily at it, too. Sometimes, when there is a project, it will take him a bit longer (It was the same last year for him). That is about the right length of time for that style of learning, IMO.

The school at my church used that curriculum for one year, but there were too many educational issues in it so they switched to Abeka.

Supposedly, it requires the child to write more of their own answers (write a paragraph about what you think, etc.), but that often leads to laziness by both the teacher and the child because the Score Key tells the teacher to score it based on what they think (since obviously the Score Key doesn't know what the child is going to write on his own). I've seen teachers and students get so frustrated with it.

Based on my own experience dealing with tests' date=' I can't stand stand it when there aren't clear-cut answers to problems. So I can understand the teachers' frustration with it since I've experienced it myself.[/quote']

You wouldn't like Landmark Baptist Curriculum anyway, for the same reason I don't like it (if you set aside the style it's written... which could be improved in the future).

It puts WAY too much emphasis on the name BAPTIST. It's very Landmarkist.

• Members

One of the churches we used to go to ,used the Bible curriculium .They liked it ,very much so I know that much .

I did go to a school that used the curriculiam before Landmark bought them out .When I had to use it ,it was not like ACE at all .

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We tried it for 2 years (1993-1995) (before that we used ACE). It requires a lot of writing on the part of the student. Our children worked in it 6 hours a day and still had trouble completing all of the assignments. We went back to ACE until we found Switched-on Schoolhouse. We use ACE for 1st and 2nd grades and then Switched-on Schoolhouse for grades 3 - 12.

• Members

We tried it about 10 years ago for a semester when the church/school I was at was falling apart. So it could have changed by now. But at that time, when we (as teachers) got all the stuff in the mail, and I started looking through the books, I was frankly appalled. I thought at the time that it was pretty lame and did not look like a decent education. However that was over 10 years ago now so it could be better.

• Members

I looked at it when deciding what to use 7or 8 yrs ago b/c it was cheap. I got there sample and was not at all happy with what I saw. Then we were offered a teaching position a while back and 1 reason among many that we didn't take the job was that they used this cirriculum and saw no need to change, but were concerned with the 'money' part. This is a you get what you pay for cirriculum.imho :bonK:

• Members

We used some subjects from this curriculum, also. I found many typographical and mathematical errors, in the answer keys and some in the texts. If you're not a Baptist I can understand your not liking that emphasis, but that didn't bother me at all. This curriculum is definitely Bible-based and adheres to KJV-only. That part I liked. That being said, I really preferred other curriculum over theirs. And, as much as I like Pilgrim's Progress, they have a literature course which takes the whole year to cover it. I just couldn't see spending an entire school year on that.

• Members

I have taught using this curriculum before and my opinion will pretty much echo many of the others here. I found numerous errors in practically every subject from printing errors to factual errors to the answer keys not agreeing with the curriculum. The bad part was that I even found factual errors in some of the Bible curriculum. As has been mentioned it is definitely a "you get what you pay for." There are much better curriculums out there that you may have to pay more for, but it will be worth it.

In Christ,
PreacherE

• 13 years later...
  • Members
On 2/22/2008 at 9:52 AM, Pastorj said:

I was talking to an individual who uses this curriculum. They told me that they spend about a 1/2 hour per day on school to complete all of the work for the 10th grade curriculum.

Anyone using this curriculum out there that can tell me if this is how long it should take?

From reviews here in this thread,  it is not a real good investment,  but still may be a lot better that public school.   One very good curriculum with over 20 years successful reviews,  and being the most in line with the Bible instructions for bringing up a child in the way that he should go that I have seen,   takes half hour a day for the parent/ guardian to prepare lessons/outline/ activity for their children (one to twelve children),  and the children progress at their own rate but are not idle during 'class time'.

They have exceeded all other opportunities in most or all ways,  including testing for college and succeeding at college or higher education.

On 4/14/2008 at 1:22 PM, PreacherE said:

There are much better curriculums out there that you may have to pay more for, but it will be worth it.

In Christ,

The best by far that I have seen is the Robinson Curriculum (very helpful support/information forum is available via web) . RC  is available now for mac as well as windows,  and perhaps even cell phone downloads,  and to print.  (it is not meant to be conducted nor worked on in front of a screen - material is printed).

Edited by jeff_student_of_Jesus