• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithing - is is obligatory for Christians?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I got 428 pages of "tithe" and the first three pages I viewed didn't address this at all.

I've read many of the other tithe threads, wherever they are now, and so far I've never seen a convincing biblical response which shows that Christians are to tithe today. I have seen many convincing posts pointing that Christians should give freely and cheerfully as the Lord prospers them. From the examples in the New Testament and from contemporary readings and personal experience, when Christians freely and cheerfully give their giving tends to far exceed the Old Testament tithe.

Our giving should be out of abundant love for all God has done for us. If we fully love the Lord and we love others as Scripture commands, then we will give abundantely from a transformed heart to advance the cause of Christ and to help those we can truly help.

If we are truly following Christ we will put away our selfish nature and use or resources wisely so there is more to give to the Lord rather than spending it on our selfish wants.

• Members

John, Tithing has been clearly shown to be the Biblical method. Those who choose to not believe in tithing must throw out the entire Old Testament because tithing is not just taught in the Law, but is also mentioned through the rest of the OT.

• Members
I got 428 pages of "tithe" and the first three pages I viewed didn't address this at all.

I've read many of the other tithe threads, wherever they are now, and so far I've never seen a convincing biblical response which shows that Christians are to tithe today. I have seen many convincing posts pointing that Christians should give freely and cheerfully as the Lord prospers them. From the examples in the New Testament and from contemporary readings and personal experience, when Christians freely and cheerfully give their giving tends to far exceed the Old Testament tithe.

Our giving should be out of abundant love for all God has done for us. If we fully love the Lord and we love others as Scripture commands, then we will give abundantely from a transformed heart to advance the cause of Christ and to help those we can truly help.

If we are truly following Christ we will put away our selfish nature and use or resources wisely so there is more to give to the Lord rather than spending it on our selfish wants.

I agree with you John, I'm 100% against Tithing.

I think it , limits what one will give to our Lord. Especially the wealthy people, they will give their big 10% while looking down their nose at the poor who give their little 10 % as if to say, look at my standing with the Lord, I'm the one who supports this church, my 10 % is so much larger than your, who do you think you are that you ought to have a say so?

But I notice many pastors throughly believe in tithing, seems they think it will make people give more money which equals more money for them.

Also they will teach grace in everything but tithing, strange they want to leave grace out when it comes to money isn't it?

• Members

Notice that Paul, the Apostle to the Gentiles, never teaches tithing. Notice also that when the church at Jerusalem considered whether Gentile converts to Christianity had to become Jews (or like Jews) and keep Jewish law and such, they only mentioned a couple of clear things Gentile Christians were to observe and tithing wasn't one of them.

Paul does, however, mention many times about giving from the heart out of love. Paul also makes it clear such giving is done out of the desire to do so and not because of compulsion.

• Members

Our pastors believe in tithing and they preach on it once a year, but they are not militant. We also do not pass a collection plate. There is an unlabeled box near each door for you to drop whatever you desire to offer whenever you desire to offer it. The boxes are rarely mentioned and typically as a place to place visitor cards. The pastors do not know who gives what. I can honestly say I do not know who gives what nor do I care. I think that holds true to most in out church.

Personally I think the 10% criteria taught in the OT is a good standard to hold to and if you can afford more that is a special blessing. I also believe if you are not giving joyfully, than you can give 100% and God won't honor it. Look at Cain. I do know that since we started giving at least 10% we have been abundantly blessed.

This is how I believe, how God has led me and I have been blessed by it. How others give is between them and God.

• Members

Tithing was started before the Law - all through the time of the Law - and yes, the NT does make references to it and teach it.

1) The NT does not clearly state it is done away with.

2) 1 Corinthians 9 uses the OT tithing laws for its justification of taking care of NT pastors.

1 Corinthians 9:7-14 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

3) Hebrews refers to tithing as PRESENT tense, not just as something that happened in the past - and this book was written shortly before the destruction of the temple.

Hebrews 7:4-10 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

4) I have personally claimed Malachi 3:10 countless times, and know many other people who have done so. If it was simply something under the Law and not a promise for the church - why would God fulfill that promise in mine and in others' lives?

• Members

I had a pastor who preached about tithe about 2 to 3 times a month for several months that drove few people out of the church. That was bother me until I studied scriptures and talked with other believers. I left that church to other church. So, I decide and believe it is your conscience of giving tithe or not giving tithe with cheerful. Here it is below:

It is good to giving tithe and I am not against tithe. In the New Testament, there is no against/support tithe but support cheerful givers. However, give as much as you can with the cheerful whether it is tithe or not tithe then the Lord would bless you. If you must give tithe without cheerful then the Lord would not bless you. So, it is better to give with cheerful than must give without cheerful. Just remember: churches and pastors need church members help in pastors' financial support and things that are need in the churches building. So, please help their financial.

Smile! God loves cheerful givers!! Yahoo!! :smile

Evan57

• Members

The OT also taught free will giving in addition to the tithing. The Bible does not teach tithing OR giving - it teaches both in both Testaments. You cannot begin to GIVE OFFERINGS until you have GIVEN YOUR TITHES first.

• Members

Absolutetly correct Jerry. It is funny that the vast majority of those that do not believe in tithing, fall far short of the tithe. I have met a few people that don't believe in it and give more, but that is the exception, not the rule. Malachi 3:10 is a promise of blessing for every Christian and it is also a promise of judgment for those who refuse to give back to God what is his.

• Members

I am also amazed at how those same people who refuse to tithe, quote from the OT all of the time. They love Psalms and Proverbs, yet tithing is mentioned there also. If you want to throw out tithing, you might as well get rid of the entire OT from your Bible.

• Members

So many Christians wonder why they can't seem to get out of debt or why they are always having problems financially. Perhaps this is one of the reasons - they are not fulfilling their part - they don't even believe they have to do so. However, those who take this promise at face value, claim it and do their part (plus, the other passages that deal with promises and principles about money, giving, etc.), find that God does meet all their needs - including financial ones. I am not rich - but I have all my needs met, and am not in want. In fact, God has moved in my life in various ways - that I went from being in debt, to barely scraping by, to getting by comfortably (not sure how else to describe it) and having more to be able to give to others as well as having extra to use towards purchasing sound Bible study materials for myself and others.** Not saying a Christian is promised comfort in regards to provision - but having all your needs met goes a long way towards being content with what the Lord has provided.

**It is more blessed to give than to receive - and it is sure a blessing to get past the point where you are no longer just having your needs met, but are able to be used by God to meet the needs of others.

Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Luke 3:11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Romans 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

1 Timothy 6:18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

• Members
Tithing was started before the Law - all through the time of the Law - and yes, the NT does make references to it and teach it.

1) The NT does not clearly state it is done away with.

2) 1 Corinthians 9 uses the OT tithing laws for its justification of taking care of NT pastors.

1 Corinthians 9:7-14 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

3) Hebrews refers to tithing as PRESENT tense, not just as something that happened in the past - and this book was written shortly before the destruction of the temple.

Hebrews 7:4-10 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

4) I have personally claimed Malachi 3:10 countless times, and know many other people who have done so. If it was simply something under the Law and not a promise for the church - why would God fulfill that promise in mine and in others' lives?

I'm shaking my head...Christians voluntarily support Christian work. There is not ONE passage that teaches a tithe is a requirement under the New Covenant. You don't appear to understand that we are not under the Old rules and regulations that God established for His theocracy. Paul clearly told them to give what they were willing to give (the amount given is entirely up to the Christian). 1 Cor. 16:2 "...as God hath prospered him.." No one under the New Covenant EVER taught a tithe requirement. Also, this misuse of Hebrews is another example of taking a subject out of its context... the context has nothing whatever to do with tithing.. it has everything to do with the importance of Melchizedek...and his replacement - Christ Who is our High Priest - chap 7 verse 15 and verse 22... You will never see tithing being a requirement under the New Covenant.. again, you are taking things out of their context.The Old Covenant was a civil and religious theocracy... the tithe helped run the country and supported those who worked within the religious community.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I note the replies with great interest and would like to make two comments:

1) My apologies for the spelling mistake on the thread's title. It should be "Tithing - is it obligatory for Christians?" I accidentally put the word "is" in twice. Perhaps a moderator could correct it for me.

2) Tithing is a good principle but to teach it as an obligation seems, to me, to be judaizing the New Covenant and putting Jewish requirements upon Christians. In Acts 15 we read nothing of the obligation to tithe being laid upon gentile Christians. If such a requirement was needful one would have expected it to be placed there.

Bob