• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithing - is is obligatory for Christians?

• Members

Thank you for showing various places where animals and fruit were given as a tithe. You have yet to show us where God says money is never to be used for tithing. As a matter of fact, I have shown various verses where someone wanting to redeem their animal could given money instead - that tells me some of their tithes WERE money.

Since Jesus was not a farmer, shepherd or herdsman, neither owned He any property to pursue any such occupation (as far as earthly profession goes), He was not required to tithe according to the Mosaic Law. He would not have tithed because it was not required of Him to tithe. He came to fulfill the Law, yes. But He did not have to tithe under the Law, so He fulfilled it even in not tithing.

You have yet to prove BIblically that the poor were not to tithe and only farmers were to tithe. While you are at it, give us a Biblical definition of poor. Perhaps that means someone who has no income - therefore it would make sense that when they did not have any money, they did not tithe - but that doesn't prove they were not commanded to tithe.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Exodus 25:1-7 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering. And this is the offering which ye shall take of them; gold, and silver, and brass, And blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen, and goats' hair, And rams' skins dyed red, and badgers' skins, and shittim wood, Oil for the light, spices for anointing oil, and for sweet incense, Onyx stones, and stones to be set in the ephod, and in the breastplate.

It is evident that God wanted the children to bring an offering of all the things needed to construct the tabernacle and the articles found therein. Not a tithe, but an offering. It had to be given willfully or God did not want it. Sound familiar? Paul wrote the same thing. Every man as he purposeth in his own heart so let him give. Not of compulsion, or grudgingly, for the Lord loveth a cheerful giver.

The tabernacle was not built on tithes, but on offerings.

• Members
Thank you for showing various places where animals and fruit were given as a tithe. You have yet to show us where God says money is never to be used for tithing. As a matter of fact, I have shown various verses where someone wanting to redeem their animal could given money instead - that tells me some of their tithes WERE money.

You have yet to prove BIblically that the poor were not to tithe and only farmers were to tithe. While you are at it, give us a Biblical definition of poor. Perhaps that means someone who has no income - therefore it would make sense that when they did not have any money, they did not tithe - but that doesn't prove they were not commanded to tithe.

When they redeemed a tithe, they had to add a fifth part to that tithe. Tithes were often sold for money and later the money bought the tithes according to Deuteronomy 14. When one redeemed a tithe, one had to get back that tithe later and add a fifth part thereto. Scripture does not say they paid money for tithes at all.

Jerry, I have given verses that show who was to tithe and what the tithe consisted of . There is not one single verse to show that the poor were required to tithe. But I have posted Scripture to show the Israelites were required to tithe to the poor living on their land.

• Members

As I have stated, I did not mean to come across as having a bad attitude. That was the farthest thing from my mind.

I entered this thread with Scripture, reason for believing Scripture and the hope to enlighten some as to what the Scripture teaches concerning the tithe of the Old Testament and the Grace giving of the New Testament.

If some thought I had an attitude, they were truly mistaken.

• Members
When they redeemed a tithe' date=' they had to add a fifth part to that tithe. Tithes were often sold for money and later the money bought the tithes according to Deuteronomy 14. When one redeemed a tithe, one had to get back that tithe later and add a fifth part thereto. Scripture does not say they paid money for tithes at all.[/quote']

Yeah, I can just see the fifth part of a cow or a sheep that they brought with them. Why is that sheep bleeding everywhere, and why is he missing all his limbs? Well, I was only supposed to give one sheep and a fifth, so I kept the legs for myself - mmm, lambchops!

It is up to you to prove that the poor were NOT obligated to tithe - as you are the one attempting to teach that. Without Scripture to back up your statements, we are left with the Bible which teaches all believers were to tithe under the Law.

• Members

I have given Scripture... Leviticus 27:30-34 clearly show all that tithing consisted of. Apparently Scripture is not what you are looking for.

Tithes only consisted of grains, spices, fruit, flocks and herds.. nothing else.

The poor did not own their own property to grow crops or raise livestock... hence, they were not required to tithe.

• Members

Your opinion. There were poor people in the Bible with crops. And I haven't seen that verse yet that states ONLY animals and crops were to be used for tithes. What book was that in again? Second or Third Opinions?

• Members

poor in the scripture with crops? Scripture please? Is that 1st or 2nd Opinions?

I only find references to the poor and crops in the Bible and in reference to leaving gleanings for the poor... handfuls on purpose, if you will

Exodus 23:11 But the seventh year thou shalt let it rest and lie still; that the poor of thy people may eat: and what they leave the beasts of the field shall eat. In like manner thou shalt deal with thy vineyard, and with thy oliveyard.

Leviticus 23:22 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God.

Then there is Ruth, the Moabitess, gleaning from the field.

• Members

Gideon comes to mind:

Judges 6:6 And Israel was greatly impoverished because of the Midianites; and the children of Israel cried unto the LORD.

He was threshing wheat - therefore he had crops.

• Members
Gideon comes to mind:

Judges 6:6 And Israel was greatly impoverished because of the Midianites; and the children of Israel cried unto the LORD.

He was threshing wheat - therefore he had crops.

Read the chapter in context and you will find the land the wheat grew on did not belong to Gideon or the Israelites. God allowed in the Law the growing of wheat for the stranger in the land for food. He also commanded in Scripture to leave food on the land for food for the stranger and the poor.

But nowhere did He command the poor or stranger to tithe.

Also, according to Law, the land was to be allowed to rest on every seventh year. Any wild grain that grew on the land was for the poor and the stranger in that land.

The wheat Gideon threshed could very well have grown during the year of rest for the land. As a matter of fact, the Israelites had nothing of their own in those mountains and caves. The chapter clearly states that. So the wheat he was threshing had to have grown wild. He and the other Israelites did not have seed to plant as all their belongings were taken from them.

And they encamped against them, and destroyed the increase of the earth, till thou come unto Gaza, and left no sustenance for Israel, neither sheep, nor ox, nor ass.

Quite obvious that since all was destroyed, Gideon would have been threshing that which grew wild after the Midianites left. He did not plant what he was threshing. That which had been planted was utterly destroyed.

• Administrators

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. I think both sides has gone through and given explanation, and I do not want to turn OB into a debating forum. I can understand if anyone gets mad at me, but I must stay true to why we started Online Baptist, fellowship.

:thread: