• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithing - is is obligatory for Christians?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

God also gave those under the law a freewill choice to give freewill offerings - they just did not have a choice in regards to tithing, as that was commanded.

• Members

There goes the slings and arrows :hide

Personally I like giving to the church. I use the tithe as a basis to build off. I am not too hung up on whether it is commanded or not, it gives me a starting point for MY giving.

Why is it so many people here get so angry because others want to give 10% or more? Is that evil? Am I doing something wrong? If I give 10% exactly am I going to hell? Please tell me because all these years I thought I was being a joyful giver and now I'm beginning to think I am just a misguided sinning fool. Should I repent for my giving?

Why are you people so against tithing. One thing for sure, there is no verse that says "THOU SHALT NOT TITHE!!!!!!!!!!!" Or maybe I'm wrong on that. If so, show me and I'll repent and keep the money that God so graciously gave me to myself.

• Members

I'm not against tithing. If someone wants to tithe, that's fine by me. However, there is absolutely no Scriptural support for the idea that Christians are commanded to tithe. Meanwhile, there is plenty of Scripture to support that Christians are to give from their heart, cheerfully and abundantely as the Lord provides.

• Members

Should I say I'm sorry, no slings or arrows?

Angry, I'm not angry. But I dislike the teaching of tithing because its not taught in the New Testament.

And I think its great you love, I'm using the word love even thought you used the word like, giving to your local church.

I too love to give to my local church, just because I believe that tithing is not taught in the New Testament does not mean I do not love to give to my local church.

I do not give to my local church because I have to, but because I love to.

And as I said before, for many tithing limits what they will give to their church.

Why are we suppose to do those commandments Jesus has given us. Is it really because we have to? NO, this is what the Bible tells us.

If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 14:15 (KJV)

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
John 14:21 (KJV)

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
John 14:23-24 (KJV)

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3 (KJV)

Its so simple, we give to Jesus' Church because we love Jesus, its not about no law, its about doing so cheerfully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2 Cor 9:7 (KJV)

Yes, the cheerful giver gives out of their heart freely, out of love, not because there is a law to tithe, of which there is not, they were nailed on the cross with Jesus.

As for me, I freely follow Jesus, I freely keep His commandments, because I love Him and I want to please Him.

The reason we do things is very important to our Lord.

• Members

Obviously, there are enough Scriptures to convince various members here that Christians are to tithe - so we will have to agree to disagree on that one. And because I love the Lord, I obey His command to tithe.

• Members
Obviously' date=' there are enough Scriptures to convince various members here that Christians are to tithe - so we will have to agree to disagree on that one. And because I love the Lord, I obey His command to tithe.[/quote']

I have no problem with those who believe they should tithe, even though many of them condemn those who give cheerfully and abundantely without regard to a 10% rule, yet to proclaim that God commands Christians to tithe is unscriptural as there are no commands for Christians to tithe.

There is "enough Scriptures to convince" various Christians (including IFBs) that women must have very long hair, or that women must wear a head covering to church, or that women can or can't wear pants, or that angels and women somehow had sex and created giants, etc.

I absolutely agree that we should be able to agree to disagree on this and there likely wouldn't even be a discussion of this if some of those who choose to tithe didn't keep proclaiming Christians are commanded to tithe. Those who say Christians are commanded to tithe, and then many go on to proclaim those who don't tithe are "cheating God" or "not wanting to give to God" or "are not obeying God", are condemning those who don't tithe and accusing them of rebellion and disobeying God's Word when the New Testament doesn't back such attacks.

If we are to truly agree to disagree on this, then it can only be done if neither side is accusing the other of violating God's Word.

• Members
There is "enough Scriptures to convince" various Christians (including IFBs) that women must have very long hair, or that women must wear a head covering to church, or that women can or can't wear pants, or that angels and women somehow had sex and created giants, etc.

Good point John! :thumb This is why I prefer expository verse-by-verse teaching over topical teaching/preaching. With the latter, there is a tendency and a temptation to pick single verses from here, there, and everywhere, and build a whole doctrine around them without much regard to context. With expository preaching, on the other hand, you get the whole context. Our church does not even "pass the plate". There is simply a box at the back of the sanctuary (we call it the "Agape Box") and those who feel led of the Lord to put something in there do just that. Our pastor often says "Where God guides God provides", or "Where God leads He meets the needs". :smile

• Members

When I was interviewed before being called to this church as their pastor I was asked if I believe in tithing.

My answer was no. That is God's children heart was in the right place and the pastor lead properly, that all needs of the church would be meet and taken care of. And they have been, there has always been enough money to take care of every need.

I know of 2 pastors that I had over the years who believe in tithing, seem they always wanted to harp on giving 10%, that everyone must tithe. But if they had noticed, had took the amount of the offering and divided it by the number of church members it would have come out that everyone in the church was giving beyond 10%.

These 2 pastors all they did was take the cheerfulness away from the church members.

Of course these 2 pastors may have thought the church members had much money that they really did and he thought it should be put in the collection plate where he could take more money home with him. I readily admit, I'm just speculating on that part. But it does amaze me at how many will speculate that so & so has much more money that I do and or they are not giving enough when they rightly don't know how much they're really giving and or income they have.

• Members

Wow! You came right out and told them you don't believe tithing is obligatory for Christians and they still hired you? I'm impressed. :smile

It's good to know there are still Baptist pastors who don't engage in "beating the sheep" (or fleecing the sheep) for tithes. I don't believe it makes for cheerful giving. Our pastor has never preached on tithing, and our local church is doing just fine. The pastor is fully supported, all the bills are paid every month, and the church as a whole is giving generously to our missionaries.

• Members

I havent read the entire thread, which I will have to do when times allows. I just wanted to say give what the Lord puts on your heart to give. And Yes the church I tend and the ones I have tended in the past dont preach on tithing.

• Members
I absolutely agree that we should be able to agree to disagree on this and there likely wouldn't even be a discussion of this if some of those who choose to tithe didn't keep proclaiming Christians are commanded to tithe. Those who say Christians are commanded to tithe' date=' and then many go on to proclaim those who don't tithe are "cheating God" or "not wanting to give to God" or "are not obeying God", are condemning those who don't tithe and accusing them of rebellion and disobeying God's Word when the New Testament doesn't back such attacks.[/quote']

Are you asking us to compromise? If there are those that DO believe tithing is a commandment (which some of us obviously do), then why should we talk about it as if we didn't believe we were commanded to do it?

For the record, part of it comes down to someone's approach to the whole Bible. I, and some others here, believe that the OT still applies to the NT Christian - unless there are clear passages to teach that something is done away with (such as the ceremonial laws, the animal sacrifices, the OT priesthood, clean and unclean laws, the sabbath and feast days). Of course, there are things that YOU would even agree are still applicable today that are not repeated in the NT. Some examples: It is still wrong to prostitute your daughter - and that is only found once in the books of the law. Sodomy is still an abomination, though it is not declared so in the NT.