• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Easter

• Members

To me the how is more important than the when. Christmas on December 25 is sthe Roman Feast of Saturnalia. Traditional Easter is the first Sunday afater the first full moon after the vernal equinox. Even sounds pagan. I think the things that make them pagan is Santa Clause (Satan Clause detracts more from the meaning of Christmas than any thing.) Rabitts that lay multicolored eggs. Lets get real. What does that have to do with the ressurection.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We have chickens that lay multicolor eggs year round. I thought I would throw that in just for a little on the lighter side of things.

Our Pastor (the whole church participates but it was his idea, credit were credit is due) started doing an Easter morning breakfast open to the public in an effort to draw some people away from the sunrise services that the catholics and lutherans do in this area, so our church will be having the breakfast and Church Service on Easter.

C

• Members

I read through Jerry's post and I cannot help but agree. I personally will not participate in the Easter Egg hunt or in the Church's annual Halloween alternative. What do you think I should do in regard to my family?

I'm under the impression that I should refrain from these things, and speak against them making it very clear that I believe that Christians should not participate in such things. I should also pray for them and probably even fast. At the same time, I believe in the past I've made several mistakes regarding "putting my foot down" for the holidays.

Thank you for the Biblical insight Jerry.

• Members

I assume you are the head of your household (unless you are still living at home). If so, take a stand for your house. Your other relatives can make their own choices - but you have perfect right to decide what you will or will not allow in your house. Be ready with an answer when asked, but don't feel pressured to give into wrong just because others in your family are participating or want to participate is pagan aspects of Easter.

• Members
I was wondering how many of you will be celebrating Easter on the 23rd' date=' or whether you will be celebrating Resurrection Sunday in April?[/quote']

I eat eggs, a chocolate, and then get gifts cuz of my b-day....

I teach/preach/meditate on the crucifixion, and then rejoice, teach, preach, meditate on the resurrection.

Then I get gifts cuz of my b-day

of course, this is from someone who puts up a Christmas tree

• Members
I assume you are the head of your household (unless you are still living at home). If so' date=' take a stand for your house. Your other relatives can make their own choices - but you have perfect right to decide what you will or will not allow in your house. Be ready with an answer when asked, but don't feel pressured to give into wrong just because others in your family are participating or want to participate is pagan aspects of Easter.[/quote']

I'm married with two stepchildren, so your assumption is correct. Last year I brought up the idea of not putting up a Christmas tree, and my wife took it very hard. In a situation like that, is there really anything I can do?

Early on in my marriage I took the "head of house" title to the extreme. I wasn't very graceful at all. One time a guy asked her to speak at an AA meeting which consisted of a group of people who were about as anti-Christian as you can get. I went as far as to threaten the guy and told him this better be the last time he ever invites anyone from my family to junk like that. I clearly missed the mark with that action.

So, if my understanding is correct, I will go as far as to tell her that I personally will not celebrate or tolerate the pagan holidays in my house. However, I cannot physically push her into it.

I am confident that with prayer, fasting, and a graceful approach (which would be a HUGE change on my part) she will follow me. But thanks to my usual way of approaching things like this, she usually expects me to act aggressively.

• Members

If you're not 100% with God, then you fail.

If you are not 100% AGAINST SIN, then you fail

If you are NOT totally COMMITED, you FAIL!!!

YOU GET ME!!!!

MARCH WITH JERRY!!!

HUP............ HUPPPPPPP................ HUPPPPPPPPPP..............

Lol.

I put up a christmas tree, I have yet to bow to it, and I make sure it's the best tree in 20 miles, so when people come over and remark on it, I bring up Jesus.

I take about 1 hour just to put tinsle on. I sorta do this toss blow thing on it, to make sure it only hits the tips, and makes this sorta dome of light that makes people go "WOAH"

They go "woah" and then I bring up Jesus.

Oh, I go all out on Christmas, I put up lights, I sing, I put up a tree, and then I PREACH PREACH PREACH.

Go ahead an say that somehow, a dead tree with lights is THE TOOL OF SATAN!!! not till I bow to it punk.

You're so religious, you can't reach the saved much less the lost.

Blah blah, see it comming......... evil can't produce..... la la la,

200$ you don't celibrate the birth of Jesus ANY day, given you have let the pagens take it away

HA HA HA, you owe me 200.00........

OH NO A TREE CUT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CALL AL GORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

tired of this holier then thou garbage. Get someone to accept Christ will ya?

(not talking to anyone, just pointing out generalizations)

• Members

Qwerty, we weren't talking about Christmas trees, though someone did ask about it. We were talking about the Pagan holiday of Easter versus the Resurrection Sunday.

You really need to settle down on the sarcasm.

• Members
I read through Jerry's post and I cannot help but agree. I personally will not participate in the Easter Egg hunt or in the Church's annual Halloween alternative. What do you think I should do in regard to my family?

I'm under the impression that I should refrain from these things, and speak against them making it very clear that I believe that Christians should not participate in such things. I should also pray for them and probably even fast. At the same time, I believe in the past I've made several mistakes regarding "putting my foot down" for the holidays.

Thank you for the Biblical insight Jerry.

What is wrong with their Halloween alternative?

• Members
Interesting trivia tidbit........received this in an email:

The early church celebrated the day of our Lord's resurrection, Sunday, and that is that. The issue of whether or not Easter is being correctly calculated to represent the date of the crucifixion in 33 A.D. is thus an entirely moot point since we ought to be walking in celebration of our Lord's resurrection and our coming eternal life every day rather than one day a year. Therefore whether people choose to engage in various cultural celebrations involving this holiday are neither here nor there since the holiday is not biblically mandated but a human invention.

Love,
Madeline

• Administrators

Our church observes Easter as Resurrection Day (whether it "officially" comes later or not - actually every Sunday is an observation of it!). We have a program on that day that the 3rd-6th grade Sunday School kids do. I have written most of them - and they're good (see how humble I am? :lol: ). Actually, I did the bones of it, and the youth pastor's wife added the music (she's very musical!).

We observe Easter as Resurrection Sunday at home and at our nursing home as well. There have been times when we left gifts at Joshua's bedside (one time when he was little, I made a tomb and cross out of rice krispie treats...he thought that was neat), but never a basket from the bunny. Now he's a little too old for that. *sigh*

We usually do a basket or something at nursing home as a promotion to encourage some of the residents who don't usually come out to come visit the service. Salvation is very clearly presented in just about each message, but especially on the day before Easter. There are many Catholics in the home where we minister, and this is one way to reach them.

• Members

I think it's valid to question anyone who says they won't participate with the pagan holiday of Easter if they participate with the pagan holiday of Christmas. I know it's not good form to point out the hypocrisy of doing one while denouncing the other... but it's perfectly acceptable and valid to me.

So who does? Who won't participate in an Easter egg hunt as an outreach but will still go Christmas caroling, send christmas cards, give christmas gifts, put up lights or a christmas tree???

• Members
So who does? Who won't participate in an Easter egg hunt as an outreach but will still go Christmas caroling' date=' send christmas cards, give christmas gifts, put up lights or a christmas tree???[/quote']

Only the last two points you mentioned are associated with paganism, according to encyclopedias. Easter Eggs are part of the paganism of Easter - singing carols is not evil or pagan, cards are not evil, gifts are not evil or pagan.

I don't have Easter egg hunts, nor do I put up a Christmas tree. I try to be consistent in what I observe (or actually don't observe) when it comes to these days.