• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Easter

• Members
This is a Independant Fundemental Forum. A Forum for fellowship amongst Bible Believing Brothers and Sisters, that hold true to the Biblical Doctrine .... The Doctrine of Jesus The Christ. This is not a Fight Forum, but a Fellowship Forum. I praise the Lord and pray daily that I walk according to His path and not my own. And I pray not only does He give me the strength to be a witness in word, but my actions also. Because the world is always watching how we behave, everywhere that we are. So I will not go about things in a fleshly manner, which is easy to do. I will go about things in a Spiritual manner, which Spirit is not my own but Christ Jesus inside of me. I praise the Lord for pulling the sins by the roots that hinder my walk with Him. I praise the Lord for sending another brother on here to me. To remind me that this is not fruitful and is not of His ways. So, I will continue to give the glory to God and strive to please Him alone.

Takecare and God bless to the Saints

Bill

James 1:19-27 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The OP is about Easter. You are prating about discussing your own righteousness. I believe this thread has been hijacked. Perhaps if you want to compare your good deeds to that of others on this board, then you should start your own thread and let this one get back on topic. If you want to prove that Vir is an infidel, then go ahead and try. However, you do not know him. You do not know what he does in the way of visiting the fatherless and the widows.

How about back to topic, Ezra?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The OP is about Easter. You are prating about discussing your own righteousness. I believe this thread has been hijacked. Perhaps if you want to compare your good deeds to that of others on this board, then you should start your own thread and let this one get back on topic. If you want to prove that Vir is an infidel, then go ahead and try. However, you do not know him. You do not know what he does in the way of visiting the fatherless and the widows.

How about back to topic, Ezra?

:amen:

• Members

I did not participate in the original discussion of Easter so I want to add my thoughts here. This is part of a booklet that I put together which can be downloaded at http://www.pioneerbaptist.org/booklet.doc

Easter ? Is it Biblical?

In Acts 12:1-4 we read ?Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church. And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.?

This passage tells us that ?Easter? was an event after the days of unleavened bread. Some try to say that this is a mistranslation and that the word ?Easter? should have been the word ?passover.? However, referring to Lev. 23:4-8 we find that the passover occurred before the days of unleavened bread. The word ?Easter? is used here because it is referring to a pagan holiday that King Herod observed.

If Easter is a Christian holiday then why does the date change every year? Biblically speaking, resurrection Sunday is the Sunday following the passover. Lev. 23:5 tells us that the passover is always on the 14th day of the first Jewish month (which would be our month April). Concerning the date of Easter, here is what I found on the internet:

?Easter is an annual festival observed throughout the Christian world. The date for Easter shifts every year within the Gregorian calendar. The current Gregorian ecclesiastical rules that determine the date of Easter trace back to AD 325 at the First Council of Nicaea convened by the Roman Emperor Constantine. At that time the Roman world used the Julian calendar (which was adopted by Julius Caesar in 45 BC).

The Council decided to keep Easter on a Sunday, the same Sunday throughout the world. To fix incontrovertibly the date for Easter, and to make it determinable indefinitely in advance, the Council constructed special tables to compute the date. In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII completed a reconstruction of the Julian calendar and produced new Easter tables. One major difference between the Julian and Gregorian calendar is what is called the "leap year rule". By the 1700's most of Western Europe had adopted the Gregorian calendar. The Eastern Christian churches still determine the dates of Easter by using the older Julian calendar.

The usual statement, that Easter Day is the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs next after the vernal equinox, is not a precise statement of the actual ecclesiastical rules. The full moon involved is not the astronomical Full Moon but an ecclesiastical moon (determined from tables) that keeps, more or less, in step with the astronomical Moon. The ecclesiastical rules are: Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or after the day of the vernal equinox; this particular ecclesiastical full moon is the 14th day of a tabular lunation (new moon); and the vernal equinox is fixed as March 21. Easter can never occur before March 22 or later than April 25.?

Here is an interesting observation: the date of Easter is determined by the ?first ecclesiastical full moon? and requires a special table of dates (to determine when the ecclesiastical full moon occurs). It would appear that Easter is a carry over from the pagan worship of the moon. It is definitely not Biblical and ought not to be observed by professing Christians!

• Administrators

We are to be in the world but not of it. We have a special program that day because we have a lot of bus parents who come. And we are not averse to using that day as an evangelistic tool. No bunnies or eggs, just some good ole fashioned gospel preaching. But using the day, nevertheless.

• Members

That's about it LuAnne.

We know some folks who normally don't attend church will come for that day so pastor will preach on the resurrection and the way of salvation will be presented.

No bunny rabbits or eggs, but some good solid Bible preaching to reach those who come out because of what day it is.