• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Genuine Repentance?????

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sometimes I feel that I need to go back to the basics and relearn everything .....

This is a good idea. Even for the ones that are firm in their faith. Now the question is, where to start? What Biblical study program should one restart in? What part of the Bible should one start to read?

• Members

This is a good idea. Even for the ones that are firm in their faith. Now the question is, where to start? What Biblical study program should one restart in? What part of the Bible should one start to read?

One can't go wrong with reading and Studying the New Testament. The basics and our foundation are right there as well as the meat needed for further growth.

One good strategy is to read Matthew and then go to Acts and read on through. Then read Mark and back to Acts on through...then Luke...then John...

This gives attention to each of the four gospels plus provides four readings of the rest of the New Testament. One should be very grounded in the faith and Word after such if they take their time prayerfully following the teaching of the Holy Ghost through each reading.

Another benefit after such a study is how much will be commited to memory and how quickly one will be able to refer to specific topics of Scripture in the New Testament without even specifically having worked on such.

• Members

One can't go wrong with reading and Studying the New Testament. The basics and our foundation are right there as well as the meat needed for further growth.

One good strategy is to read Matthew and then go to Acts and read on through. Then read Mark and back to Acts on through...then Luke...then John...

This gives attention to each of the four gospels plus provides four readings of the rest of the New Testament. One should be very grounded in the faith and Word after such if they take their time prayerfully following the teaching of the Holy Ghost through each reading.

Another benefit after such a study is how much will be commited to memory and how quickly one will be able to refer to specific topics of Scripture in the New Testament without even specifically having worked on such.

Good methodology, John. Thanks.

• Members

Many years back while giving the morning devotional the deacon spoke of going back to Bethel. Of course I had no idea what he was referring to, and later asked him.

He seemed surprise I had never heard the saying, and quickly told me, many times we will get lost, and or caught up in things of this world way to much, and like Abraham, we need to take a trip back to where it begun, the point of time we were saved, and get on that altar before God, get things put back in order. That it seems if we will go back to our Bethel, it's easier to get things in order, then get back on the right track.

Ge 13:3 And he went on his journeys from the south even to Bethel, unto the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Hai;
Ge 13:4 Unto the place of the altar, which he had made there at the first: and there Abram called on the name of the LORD.

• Members

Repentence from what? Surely not deeds. How can a lost sinner know the extent of the deeds he has either commited against God, or neglected to do for God? So biblical repentence must be something else.

Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

According to John, the thing keeping people out of heaven and under the wrath of God is unbelief in the redemptive works of Jesus. Not intellectual, but spiritual admission that they are guilty sinners under the wrath of God. Notice what Paul said:

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Once a sinner, by faith, realizes he is guilty before God, and under the wrath of God, he is to turn by faith (believing,) upon the Lord Jesus Christ as his remedy. If this is genuine it will bring forth works.

Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

This does not indicate the extent of works, or a complete change of life, but that there has been a change of heart that is manifesting itself in new works and a turn from old works.

When I got saved, no one told me about repentance, but I guess it happened. I quit doing some bad things, (smoking dope, drinking beer, etc.,) and started doing some new good things, (reading my bible, going to church, etc.) Some things changed quickly, some took some time, and some God is still working on. This is the works, meet, or indicative, or repentance.

:twocents:

Ben

That seems nicely put to me. This is what I believe - and I almost finished writing something on it tonight.

• Members

There are no verses that say "repent of your unbelief", but there are many verses that command the lost to "repent of" specific sins. The law shows us where we have sinned against God - we turn from those sins in our hearts to the Lord, and then He cleans us up.

It says repent of certain sins some places. It also talks about repenting of not believing the gospel a lot of places. And it also says God repented a lot of times, but it is not talking about sin there - because God doesn't sin.

If we haven't accepted Jesus Christ yet - turning from those sins does us no good, God won't clean us up for repentance. God cleans us up by by the blood of the Lamb!

Actually, the letter in Revelation 3:3 says repent and Remember how you have heard and received, and hold fast; as an example of turning from unbelief.

That one was just off the top of my head, but it actually is relevant to the topic of the whole thread. Some people needed to have their clothes washed in the blood of the lamb and made white as snow (as you can see later in the book), because they were trying to wash their sins off with something else (ie their works).

THAT fyi is in a lot of our gospel songs, and they have good doctrine from the bible:

Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/r/aruwashd.htm

Nothing but the blood of Jesus
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/n/b/nbtblood.htm

There is power in the blood
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/h/therepow.htm

There is a few more I'm forgetting if anyone wants to post. God bless. Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

Repentence from what? Surely not deeds. How can a lost sinner know the extent of the deeds he has either commited against God, or neglected to do for God? So biblical repentence must be something else.

Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

According to John, the thing keeping people out of heaven and under the wrath of God is unbelief in the redemptive works of Jesus. Not intellectual, but spiritual admission that they are guilty sinners under the wrath of God. Notice what Paul said:

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Once a sinner, by faith, realizes he is guilty before God, and under the wrath of God, he is to turn by faith (believing,) upon the Lord Jesus Christ as his remedy. If this is genuine it will bring forth works.

Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

This does not indicate the extent of works, or a complete change of life, but that there has been a change of heart that is manifesting itself in new works and a turn from old works.

When I got saved, no one told me about repentance, but I guess it happened. I quit doing some bad things, (smoking dope, drinking beer, etc.,) and started doing some new good things, (reading my bible, going to church, etc.) Some things changed quickly, some took some time, and some God is still working on. This is the works, meet, or indicative, or repentance.
:twocents:
Ben

Bump