• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Genuine Repentance?????

• Members

From what I understand to repent means to turn away from....right?
I want to use an example to ask my question.

Suppose a person falls down on their knees and crys out to God to forgive them of there sins, Lets say this person is a smoker, or gambler, or drinker, whatever, and they too ask specific forgiveness of that particular sin...When the person is done praying they get up, dry off their face and go do that same exact sin immediately.....Is this genuine repentance??? Did this person repent?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Suppose a person falls down on their knees and crys out to God to forgive them of there sins, Lets say this person is a smoker, or gambler, or drinker, whatever, and they too ask specific forgiveness of that particular sin...When the person is done praying they get up, dry off their face and go do that same exact sin immediately.....Is this genuine repentance??? Did this person repent?

Repentance is a change of heart not a change of deeds, the heart turning away from sin and to God, but generally speaking if a person goes right back to the sin without a struggle a change of heart seems unlikely because a change of heart that led to salvation will produce a change of actions or at least deep conviction as a byproduct. Only God can see the heart though, we can't judge the hearts of others with certainty, we can only look at the fruit.

• Members

The word repent simply means "to change" or "to turn." A person who believes the gospel is also repenting: instead of believing how he/she did in the past, he/she is agreeing with God about sin...that it keeps one from heaven and fellowship with God. Is that change of mind manifested in the person's actions? Yes, I think it is, but not always to the extent that the person is able to immediately quit addictive habits cold turkey. The difference is not in the action, per se, but in how the person thinks about the action. He/she cannot enjoy sin like he/she used to, since he/she recognizes it as harmful and grievous to God. The saved person will begin to struggle against sin instead of merely enjoying it, and has potential to gain victory over it with God's help.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

• Members

Paul struggled against his flesh and I'm no Paul.

Romans 7:15-25
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

We will now be at war with our own flesh. I can quote and identify with Paul's statement,
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

• Members

Way of Life Encyclopedia
REPENTANCE

Repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation (2 Timothy 2:25; John 16:8; Acts 11:18; 26:20). Repentance means more than sorrow or regret or despair or grief. It is also more than mere confession or acknowledgement of sin. Pharaoh, Saul, and Judas did all of that but did not exercise Bible repentance (Exodus 9:27; 1 Samuel 15:24; 24:17; 26:21; Matthew 27:3-4). Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life (Matthew 3:1-2; Luke 5:32; 13:1-3; 18:13; Acts 2:38; 5:31; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; 2 Peter 3:9).

Repentance will always result in a change in lifestyle. Biblical repentance is not remorse:

2 Corinthians 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Repentance is a turning to God from sin, and a change of mind about sin that results in a change of action.

1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

1 Thessalonians 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

If repentance is so important, then why do some baptist preachers regard it as heresy?
I heard online, prOBably at faithfulwordbaptist.org about this, that it is contrary to God's Word.
Still, I do remember reading in the gospels when Jesus and John said 'repent ye for the kingdom of heaven is at hand'. Also Paul mentioned ' repent, and believe the gospel'.

• Members

If repentance is so important, then why do some baptist preachers regard it as heresy?

There may be cause for concern in some cases where "lordship salvation" is taught. That particular doctrine adds works to salvation which is indeed heresy. In the minds of some a call for repentance is the same thing as lordship salvation. That isn't the case at all though.

I heard online, prOBably at faithfulwordbaptist.org about this, that it is contrary to God's Word.

I wouldn't recommend pastor Steven Anderson at all. I think that much of what he teaches and certainly his attitude can be proven to be contrary to God's word.

Still, I do remember reading in the gospels when Jesus and John said 'repent ye for the kingdom of heaven is at hand'. Also Paul mentioned ' repent, and believe the gospel'.

That right there shows repentance is necessary doesn't it?

• Members

Anderson is a die-hard heretic. My sister went to his church for about six months. Once he doorknocked on her neighbour. The man admitted he was a fornicator and drinker who had no intention of quitting, and that he did not believe in Jesus' physical resurrection. Anderson still led him in a sinner's prayer, telling him he can deal with those things later. Then he tried to push the man to come to church and get baptized. When the man learned what it was a picture of, he got bent out of shape and refused.

• Members

Repentence from what? Surely not deeds. How can a lost sinner know the extent of the deeds he has either commited against God, or neglected to do for God? So biblical repentence must be something else.

Jhn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

According to John, the thing keeping people out of heaven and under the wrath of God is unbelief in the redemptive works of Jesus. Not intellectual, but spiritual admission that they are guilty sinners under the wrath of God. Notice what Paul said:

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Once a sinner, by faith, realizes he is guilty before God, and under the wrath of God, he is to turn by faith (believing,) upon the Lord Jesus Christ as his remedy. If this is genuine it will bring forth works.

Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and [then] to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

This does not indicate the extent of works, or a complete change of life, but that there has been a change of heart that is manifesting itself in new works and a turn from old works.

When I got saved, no one told me about repentance, but I guess it happened. I quit doing some bad things, (smoking dope, drinking beer, etc.,) and started doing some new good things, (reading my bible, going to church, etc.) Some things changed quickly, some took some time, and some God is still working on. This is the works, meet, or indicative, or repentance.

:twocents:
Ben

• Members

There are no verses that say "repent of your unbelief", but there are many verses that command the lost to "repent of" specific sins. The law shows us where we have sinned against God - we turn from those sins in our hearts to the Lord, and then He cleans us up.

• Members

Honestly, this whole 'don't you dare repent' cause it's a lordship heresy kills my joy when it comes to living for God. I mean, they make it sound that's it bad if you want to fully OBey whatever God asks you to. If I want God to forgive my sins, how can He forgive them if I'm continuing in them? It's not logical. Those who oppose repentance, are sometimes attacking Jesus being Lord of someone's live, but as Christian, it's only normal for us to want to OBey the Lord Jesus Christ. It's true that natural man cannot live for Him unless he puts his faith in Christ first, but after that, what happens? Are they trying to imply that there won't be any change at all? This can't be possible with the Holy Spirit living inside a person.
Also, the purpose of salvation is not only to provide justification for humankind with God, to make a reconcilliation but also to produce fruit after we become His children. If not, then why are we still alive after we get saved? The purpose is to spread the good news, to exemplify the godly behaviour in our lives, to bring forth good works, etc.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

• Members

There are no verses that say "repent of your unbelief", but there are many verses that command the lost to "repent of" specific sins. The law shows us where we have sinned against God - we turn from those sins in our hearts to the Lord, and then He cleans us up.

This has me curious. Of what were the Jews to repent of, when Peter commanded them to repent in Acts 2:38 and Acts 3:19? What were the Greeks to repent of in Acts 17:30? Thanks for answering this for me. I want to make sure I teach/preach on repentance correctly!

• Members

Peter was speaking to Jews and Jewish proselytes who more than likely knew the Old Testament. He did not give specific sins for them to repent of - though the Law certainly does in the OT. Some passages commanding the lost to repent of specific sins:

Ezekiel 14:6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Here is a reference to the lost Ninevites repenting of their sins ("turn" is a synonym of repent), and Jesus does use the term repent in the NT regarding them:

Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Matthew 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Matthew 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Acts 8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. (Debatable whether Simon was saved at this point or not, but still worth quoting.)

Specific sins mentioned:

Revelation 9:20-21 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Revelation 16:9-11 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory. And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

More passages where the lost are commanded to turn from specific sins in order to be saved (ie. inherit salvation):

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Timothy 1:8-11 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disOBedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.[/align]