• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bankruptcy & Christians

• Members

I completely agree! I know you aren't judging. :smile

I guess its going past this thread...thinking back to stories I've heard about people who condemn other people for buying this or that. Its especially bad with pastors. We haven't been treated this way, but there are pastors who can't even buy a vehicle or a new stove without critical eyes being turned their way. I just feel most of us have enough to worry about doing our own finances without figuring out everyone else's. Ya know?

I agree its a horrible testimony for a pastor to declare bankruptcy, especially if they have a publicly frivolous spending habit. On the other hand, I do not like to hear pastors' spending criticized because I feel that since their finances are often made so public anyway, they deserve as much privacy as they can get. All Christians should make sure their finances are above board...not just staying busy watching the pastor's wallet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The issue is not the average person going out for dinner. The issue is that when you are in financial trouble and can't pay the light bill, car bill, mortgage,etc., Discretionary spending must be cut. This would include:
Going out to dinner
Cable/Satellite TV
Cell Phones
etc.

• Members
The issue is not the average person going out for dinner. The issue is that when you are in financial trouble and can't pay the light bill, car bill, mortgage,etc., Discretionary spending must be cut. This would include:
Going out to dinner
Cable/Satellite TV
Cell Phones
etc.

Oh! I definitely agree!

However still, its none of my business if YOU can't pay the light bill and you buy a cheeseburger. KWIM?

• Members

I'm not arguing with any of that, I just sensed in a poster or two an attitude of being critical towards people who buy "luxury" items. My only point here is that its between that person and God, in general.

• Members

Seems every I bring this matter up, Suzy gets bent out of shape.

By the way Suzy, the preacher wife admitted why they went bankrupt, said we charge way more than we can pay for. So no, I'm not judging them, I know facts on this situation.

I might add, she also said we have spent way to much money eating out. She also said we had way to many cell phones, 5 of them.

She also said, this is the 2nd time this has happened to us, do you think we will ever learn?

Simple fact, their problem was lusting for that they could not afford, this brings much shame on our Lord and Savior for them to do this.

And old saying of mine, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. This family did not stay on the porch.

Please, when I tell something its not gossip, its not speculation.

Now, as for the deacon, church treasure, I have no idea at all why theirs came about, and if you will noticed all I did was mention it and say I'm amazed and I am disappointed in them. That it does not bring glory to God nor Jesus.

I will make this statement, God's children should not be neck deep in debt. I am not talking about the family who has had many medical expenses. I am talking about those who just plain overspend, that spend more than they make, who buy more than they can pay for and keep on charging stuff as if there is no tomorrow.

• Members
Total shock, a friend, a deacon, church treasure, he and his wife have declared bankruptcy. It is so surprising to me at the number of Christians who do this. Seems many of them buy and keep buying with the though that if all fails they can declare bankruptcy and keep most of their stuff and start all over again.

If more Christians lived for God and not for this world this would not take place among God's children.

I hear that a lot of people are about to lose their homes, I wonder how many of them are Christians who have rightly overloaded their self, if they had lived for God, not the world, they would not be losing everything and brining disgrace on their Savior.

Why is it so many of us Christians cannot learn to be content? Why do we show so much worldly influence? Our hearts have to be in the wrong place.

I have a family member who was a deacon (still is), church treasurer & SS teacher who declared bankruptcy after his business failed. He eventually paid all his creditors, even though he did not have to. The circumstances that got you there, and what you do after declaring bankruptcy are what should be considered when determining suitability for ministry.

• Members

Ok, let me see if I can explain this just a bit more.

The preacher and his wife, they said, we want to get rid of our place, we owe much more on it than its worth, plus with it and our other debts we owe more than we can pay for. Its silly for us to suffer to pay for it, if we do we will be losing money.

In other words they think its ok not to pay their debts they owe being as they would be losing. But this is their 2nd bankruptcy, in fact the time limit when they could file bankruptcy once again cane dues just a few days before their appointment with the bankruptcy lawyer.

As for the deacon, church treasure, as I said, I'm just shocked, amazed, I've known them for years, have much respect for them. And as stated, I know not the reason.

But, no matter what the reason for bankruptcy, it does bring shame on our Lord and the church that person is a member of.

• Members
But, no matter what the reason for bankruptcy, it does bring shame on our Lord and the church that person is a member of.

I do definitely agree with this. We worked under a pastor who had some shady financial practices himself.

I just get uncomfortable discussing other people's finances, because although our finances are all above board...I don't want people discussing ours. Ya know?

• Members

I understand your thought. But no matter what a pastor and his wife does, there are going to be some who will examine them with a fine tooth comb, it comes with the territory.

Everything I said about the preacher and wife was fact, not rumor.

Most people who get into bankruptcy do so because they over spend.

Hopefully discussing it along with other issues here will help someone.

• Members

I've just heard horror stories of preachers and wives serving God and doing their best only to have some church member come up and snidely say, "Where did your wife get the money to get that new dress?" (Or whatever.) Hasn't happened to us, praise God, but has to others. That kind of thing just makes me want to scream. As long as the pastor has a good testimony with his financial dealings, its absolutely nobody's business what he buys and what he doesn't buy. (I mean barring sinful things)

Of course this isn't what you are referring to, I agree your pastor/wife have crossed the line and probably are not qualified honestly, to be in their position.