• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Your Church Doing a Cantata?

Guest Guest

We normally have a very large music service, and Easter will be no exception. We are doing seven choral pieces along with our orchestra and praise teams. We will do two identical services back-to-back, so please pray for all of our musician's health, as I know I have been running a fever and battling the flu for the past few days. :gross:

We are doing some amazing musical pieces that celebrate God and His Majesty, as well as define Jesus' resurrection.

The links are .mp3 files, so give it a few seconds to load. :smile

• Members

No cantata but I do know that Jason and Melody and I are going to be singing. I play guitar, Jason plays banjo, Melody plays the mandolin and we're going to be joined by my friend Howie on the upright bass and Tom on fiddle.

We're going to be doing "Hallelujah, Our Lord is Risen".

We're not sure, but Jason and Melody and I may be doing the old Flatt and Scruggs tune, "(Oh, Sinner Friend) He Took Your Place".

• Members
This is a long shot but hey, you never know. Sometimes it is a small world.

This Jason and Melody - is their last name Royalty, by any chance?

No, it's McKinney. They're my kids. They just think they're royalty.

No, just kidding. They're good kids.

I spent twenty years as a professional musician, playing with different rock and country and folk acts and have been a DJ for about twelve years on a couple of local stations.

Melody was the first to learn to play. When she was two or three, I would chord the guitar and she'd strum it and we would make up songs.

When she was big enough to hold a guitar herself, I bought her one but what really started was when she was six years old and a cousin gave her an autoharp.

She loved that autoharp and carried it everywhere.

In 1996 or '97, Johnny Cash came to town and, because I'm on the station that was sponsoring the show, I got her backstage. She was too little to know who June Carter was, but I knew she'd get a kick out of talking to her about the autoharp.

We walked up to Johnny and June and I introduced Melody to them and explained to Melody that June Carter was very famous for playing the autoharp and they hit it off and talked for about ten minutes. She was very kind and very gracious to take time to talk to Melody like that.

Later, during June's portion of the show, she dedicated "Wildwood Flower" to Melody and Melody was so thrilled by that I thought she was going to bust.

They actually corresponded many times and Melody got to where she knows every Carter Family song by heart. She also plays guitar, mandolin, piano, banjo, and fiddle. She plays some piano, too.

Jason's another one. He was always fascinated when we would pull our instruments out and go have a fire and sing all night. He'd sing and dance around until he passed out.

When he was about five, I bought him an old mandolin because I just couldn't find a child's guitar with frets small enough for him. By the time he was seven or eight, he was already playing things like "Bill Cheatham" and "Soldier's Joy". The first time he ever sang in public he did "Monkey and the Engineer" and "Working on a Building" and the folks there went nuts.

He also plays banjo, guitar, fiddle and is learning the piano.

The little ones are still learning, but we'll get them up there, too, one day.

• Members
Ok' date=' thanks, war_eagle. I wasn't trying to be nosy. My dh is related to a couple who's first names are Jason and Melody, are musical and in the ministry.[/quote']

No, that's fine. I've actually met people on the internet that I knew or who we had friends in common.

Thanks. They're great kids.