• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Article on "Once Saved, Always Saved!"

ELI3

• Members

No redeemed sinner will nor can be lost. Our Saviour's word is at stake.

Jhn 5:24 ¶Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Amen Covenanter, you said it, God's word verifies it! thumb.gif

• Members

Amen Covenanter, you said it, God's word verifies it! thumb.gif

Soj, Jesus words are absolutely true, but your teaching is false, in that you give the backslider assurance in his condition where he rejects Jesus' word, has ceased to believe, and gives evidence that he is dead in sin.

Don't pretend to agree with what I have taught from God's word, when you reject it.

• Members

Jhn 5:24 ¶Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

dantheman2:
The word "hath" in John 5:24 is from the Greek word "echei." Can someone explain this word in context of the teaching of having eternal life?

Can you explain the problem?

We are by nature dead in trespasses and sins. Jesus gives life - eternal life to believers. If we have eternal life we will live that life, as Paul writes:

Rom 6:1 ¶ What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Col 3:1 ¶ If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

It is unthinkable that redeemed sinners should return to their sin, AND that their pastors should reassure them of salvation, while they continue in sinful unbelief.

• Members

We are by nature dead in trespasses and sins. Jesus gives life - eternal life to believers. If we have eternal life we will live that life, as Paul writes:

Rom 6:1 ¶ What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Col 3:1 ¶ If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

It is unthinkable that redeemed sinners should return to their sin, AND that their pastors should reassure them of salvation, while they continue in sinful unbelief.

No problem. I am just asking a question. I would like someone to look at the Greek word for "hath" and then discuss it in relation to the present discussion of eternal security.

• Members

Yes, I'm late here as usual. I just want to clarify and your yes or no is fine for me. Covenanter, are you saying we'll never sin after we're saved? That we will not have forgiveness if we as Christians sin?

• Members
Don't pretend to agree with what I have taught from God's word, when you reject it.

Covenanter, all that YOU have taught me from God's word is that it can be used wrongly to justify your false doctrine, and of course you would say the same about me. dry.gif

Again for the audience - The eternal security of the New Testament Christian is a wonderful TRUTH of scripture, don't be fooled by those who attack this blessed doctrine, they are deceived by Satan that God's gift of eternal life can be lost by backsliding and sin, which every one of us is capable of doing.

Covenanter, how many times have you lost your salvation and then regained it again? Or do you make the claim that you have never backsliden or sinned against God since becoming a Christian?

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

• Members

Here we go again, one wants to, our does he say he is our teacher, and another one wants to use a version of scripture (which mind you he does not have nor has ever seen).

As for me all the yap yap yap of those that do not believe the Biblical doctrine of eternal security and are going to argue until we give in to their false beliefs and or teachings.saywhat.gif

I'm just a country boy, country preacher and even I understand that eternal and everlasting mean just that. And if that isn't good enough for you then I ask you to please call my Saviour a liar and tell Him that you have decided what eternal and everlasting means.

Just saying either Christ bible.gif is right or runforhills.gif

Edited by Bro Jim

• Members

Covenanter, all that YOU have taught me from God's word is that it can be used wrongly to justify your false doctrine, and of course you would say the same about me. dry.gif

Again for the audience - The eternal security of the New Testament Christian is a wonderful TRUTH of scripture, don't be fooled by those who attack this blessed doctrine, they are deceived by Satan that God's gift of eternal life can be lost by backsliding and sin, which every one of us is capable of doing.

Covenanter, how many times have you lost your salvation and then regained it again? Or do you make the claim that you have never backsliden or sinned against God since becoming a Christian?

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

What Covenater has said is that we can't know for certain the difference between a Believer who is backslidden and a false believer who has fallen away. A true Believer who backslides is still saved while the false believer who falls away was never saved to begin with. While God knows who is who, we can't know for sure.

If we think one is a true Believer who is backslidden, but in reality they are actually a lost false believer, and we give them a false belief that they are saved no matter what, we may accidently be helping the enemy, giving them a false sense of security and helping them to feel okay about going back to their favorite sins.

Scripture teaches that each of us, if we find ourselves in what might be viewed as a backslidden condition, or as bearing no good fruit, or of following false doctrines and teachings rather than accepting and obeying the Word of God, we are to examine ourselves to see if we are truly in the faith or not.

We who are born again Believers are to take the same position as we try and help those who may be backsliders or false believers. It's our duty to help them see the need to examine themselves and to help them do this if they will allow us to. If they sincerely examine themselves and they are backslidden Believers, the Holy Ghost will make it known to them and convict them of their sin and call them to repentance and restoration. If that happens, we can rejoice that they were, and still are, saved and have returned to the path of righteousness.

If it turns out the Holy Ghost convicts them that they have never surrendered to Christ and are in need of being born again, we may have the pleasure of helping a lost one be saved.

Better to take the biblical approach of examination of salvation than to assume for certain whether one is an actual Believer who is backslidden and risk dealing with one who isn't born again and giving them improper guidance.