• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disturbing trend

• Members

The Bible uses the term "naked" to refer to those not properly dressed. That passage does not teach Peter had no other clothes on - but that he was improperly clothed until he put on his coat (in other words, he had no covering for his chest and belly; therefore was considered naked in God's eyes).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Rebelliousness of the heart produced the feminist movement which led to pants on women. You cannot separate the connection. When a woman puts on a pair of pants then she is identifying herself with that same rebellious spirit.

Sodomites started wearing neckties: do you wear neckties, Bro. Smith?

Guest Guest
The Bible uses the term "naked" to refer to those not properly dressed. That passage does not teach Peter had no other clothes on - but that he was improperly clothed until he put on his coat (in other words' date=' he had no covering for his chest and belly; therefore was considered naked in God's eyes).[/quote']

Exodus 28:42 And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:

• Administrators

Sodomites started wearing neckties: do you wear neckties, Bro. Smith?

Not quite...

The earliest known version of the necktie has been found in the massive mausoleum of China's first emperor, Shih Huang Ti, who was buried in 210 B.C. Desperately afraid of death, the emperor wanted to slaughter an entire to army to accompany him into the next world. His advisers ultimately persuaded him to take life-size replicas of the soldiers instead.

The result is one of the marvels of the ancient world. Unearthed in 1974 near the ancient capital city of Xian, the tomb contained an astonishing 7,500 life-size terracotta replicas of Shih Huang Ti's famed fighting force. Legions of officers, soldiers, archers and horsemen, all carved in meticulous detail, guard the emperor's sarcophagus. The armor, uniforms, hair, and facial expressions of the soldiers are reproduced in exquisite detail. Each figure is different - except in one respect: all wear neck cloths.

An ancient mystery

Historians say other records indicate the Chinese did not wear ties, so why the emperor's guards wore carefully wrapped silk cloths remains a mystery. Since silk was a great luxury, the cloths could indicate the ultimate honor Shih Huang Ti bestowed on his soldiers; they were trusted enough to guard him until the end of time.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/tie2.html

• Members
I guess no-one is going to comment on the quotes I put in about men wanting to be free to wear skirts. 'Cause culture' date=' it be a changing. And many men want to wear 'em. Not feminine ones, mind you, but ones made just for men...[/quote']
I'll bite...Here is how someone else phrased this very question on a thread awhile back:

Here was my comment:

You're quite right. I'm sure there will be changes in American fashion that are disconcerting to my generation. That's why I completely understand why certain people from generations before me have a hard time accepting pants as feminine garments. I for one will have a very hard time if skirts become acceptable for men in our culture. (I don't see it happening in my lifetime, but I could be mistaken.) I think that my kids would also have a hard time with it, having been raised to think of skirts as feminine. But, at the same time, I think I will understand why Christian boys of that time period (ones who are born long after masculine skirts become mainstream) will feel that they are masculine garments. Skirts on guys really wouldn't be a new invention, as some have already observed. Various cultures, both ancient and modern, eastern and western, have accepted them on men.

I'm sure that someone on here has already brought up the fact that both men and women wore robes in ancient Hebrew culture. The robes were cut differently (men's were shorter??), and they evidently wore different undergarments (?) but they all wore the same basic kind of outer garment--the robe. (And the word "skirt" is used numerous times in the Bible to describe what men wore...but never for what a woman wore, to my knowledge.)

Please don't think I'm advocating skirts on American men...I'm actually NOT. If I saw a man wearing a skirt (not a Scottish kilt--those are cool!) tomorrow in Wal Mart, I'd wince inwardly, too--because men wearing skirts is not normal/mainstream in our society. In my mind, an American man wearing a skirt in 2007 is trying to make some sort of statement about himself...one I'd rather not hear, thank you.

I guess I could summarize my position by saying that this issue must be looked at in context. The Bible is a living Book that is applicable to every person in the world, from the tribal African to the native Scot, from the poorest Third-World country inhabitants to the most educated and sophisticated professional persons, from the ancient Hebrews to modern-day Chinese. It speaks to everyone, transcending individual cultures and teaching each person how to live within his culture.

Guest Guest

I tell you one thing, it wouldn't bother me in the least to wear robes if it meant Christian ladies would give up pants. :lol Somehow I don't think that is going to happen though. :wink

Guest Guest

Amen sis! Some things are clear-cut in Scripture, while others are left up to cultural interpretation. For instance, what about a society where perhaps women in skirts are unacceptable? Would you require your wife still wear a skirt there?

• Members

I don't mean to be rude, but it really cracks me up that the same people who don't wear pants b/c "feminists introduced them into our culture" refer to ancient Chinese history to refute the idea that homos introduced the necktie into our culture. Please...at least hold yourself to the same standard that you are holding others to. I'm 100% positive that if we looked back into history, we would discover women in eastern cultures wearing pants...but that doesn't negate the fact that feminists are the ones who introduced pants into our culture.

Did homos introduce the necktie? I have no idea; this is the first I've heard of it. But I think I recognize an inconsistent argument when I see one. Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong. I haven't caught up on all of the recent posts yet.

• Members
The Bible uses the term "naked" to refer to those not properly dressed. That passage does not teach Peter had no other clothes on - but that he was improperly clothed until he put on his coat (in other words' date=' he had no covering for his chest and belly; therefore was considered naked in God's eyes).[/quote']

Funny, the Greek for naked in that passage is the word 'gumnos' which means nude. No other way to interpret it. Had Peter not been nude, he would not have had to gather his fisher's coat about him before jumping in the sea.

The Bible says he was naked, I have no reason not to believe the Word of God.

Guest Guest
I love neck ties. Nothing better than having a napkin tied around your neck for those embarasing dribbles down your chin :lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding, wanted to bring some smiles :Bleh

I did smile :lol

• Members

Well, if you are convinced breeches are ONLY for OT priests AND are actually underwear, I certainly hope you are not going against your own professed convictions and wearing underwear/breeches today.

Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

• Members
(And the word "skirt" is used numerous times in the Bible to describe what men wore...but never for what a woman wore, to my knowledge.)

No, it isn't. The Bible speaks of the skirt/edge of a garment. Check it out. People like to keep saying this, but that does not line up with the Bible. Skirt means the edge of something - and the Bible talks about "the skirt of his robe" and "the skirt of his coat."