• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disturbing trend

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

This thread was originally about the fact that IFBs are trying to become more liberal... which is a sad truth. I think the opposite of those IFBs are the ones that try to go too far on the conservative side... becoming nearly Mennonite in lifestyle. What happened to people that just simply want to follow the Bible? People that don't judge others, but also don't live like the world...

I don't think many of those kind of people exist in IFB circles anymore.

Guest Guest
Yes but in the world's eyes' date=' having sex with your fiance isn't being a "harlot" either. How much does culture REALLY change right and wrong?[/quote']

Whoa... what did THAT have to do with anything? The Bible is clear on that issue... not on the "what's a woman's clothing" issue.

It's true that a lot of things in today's culture is bad. That doesn't make EVERYTHING bad, though.

• Members
Yes but in the world's eyes' date=' having sex with your fiance isn't being a "harlot" either. How much does culture REALLY change right and wrong?[/quote']

What exactly are we discussing here? :Green

Premarital sex is wrong in many cultures and accepted in others. Regardless of that, the Bible is clear on this subject.

• Members

Spurgeon was deceived about smoking his cigars for a long time - however, before he died, he acknowledged it as wrong and gave it up.

• Members

What I'm saying is that I am getting tired of people deciding what "they think" the Bible says about a subject. People think the verses on clothing are "cultural". Other people feel that "it is good for a man not to touch a woman" means various and assorted things. Yet others feel "not forsaking the assembling" means various and assorted things as well. I get tired of the idea that there is no true foundation for godly seperation anymore.

• Administrators
This thread was originally about the fact that IFBs are trying to become more liberal... which is a sad truth. I think the opposite of those IFBs are the ones that try to go too far on the conservative side... becoming nearly Mennonite in lifestyle. What happened to people that just simply want to follow the Bible? People that don't judge others, but also don't live like the world...

I don't think many of those kind of people exist in IFB circles anymore.

IFBs are becoming more liberal. And many times the reaction to "liberalism" is to go to the extreme opposite (but just because [and I'm only mentioning this because it seems that it was your intent with the Mennonite picture...not to argur or debate!] a woman doesn't wear pants doesn't mean her lifestyle is becoming nearly Mennonite.).

It is sad that people don't want to follow the Bible anymore. Of course, I know what you mean by "people that don't judge others..." but we do need to remember that we are told to judge - righteous judgment, but judge nevertheless.

We have watered down scripture to the point where there is little conviction, and when there is conviction many times, Christians are able to reason themselves out of it. We are more concerned with what people think of us than we are of our relationship with God. It's no wonder Jesus asked if He would find faith on the earth when He returned.

I get tired of the idea that there is no true foundation for godly seperation anymore.
Amen! If I don't feel like it's wrong, it ain't, right? :loco

Spurgeon was deceived about smoking his cigars for a long time - however, before he died, he acknowledged it as wrong and gave it up.
Jerry - I had heard that he saw tobacco being advertised with the sign that they could smoke what Spurgeon smoked, and that struck him hard, so he quit. Do you know if that's true or not?

Guest Guest

hmm... I didn't mean anything by the Mennonite comment, except for the people that take everything to an extreme (I've seen a few of those people online... and I didn't mean any of the women in this thread)

I don't have a problem with women having a conviction to only wear skirts, as long as they don't look down on other women who wear pants.

In fact, I don't have any problem with anyone having standards higher than the average Christian... as long as they don't become a pride issue. (I fear that's the problem with many IFBs that hold standards... they're so stinkin' proud of how "righteous" they are compared to other Christians)

• Administrators

I fear that's the problem with many IFBs that hold standards... they're so stinkin' proud of how "righteous" they are compared to other Christians

That is a real problem, KJ!!! That is for sure. Of course, it's not just IFB. Many religions that don't do this or don't do that think that they have arrived at sanctification and others who don't follow the same path haven't. It's a heart matter. Many Christians have gotten caught up in the idea that what they do is the most important. But (and this has been stated elsewhere) it is what we ARE that we should be concerned most with. Once we ARE what we should BE, we will DO what we should DO. The inside will flow outside for all the world to see.

Guest Guest

That is a real problem, KJ!!! That is for sure. Of course, it's not just IFB. Many religions that don't do this or don't do that think that they have arrived at sanctification and others who don't follow the same path haven't. It's a heart matter. Many Christians have gotten caught up in the idea that what they do is the most important. But (and this has been stated elsewhere) it is what we ARE that we should be concerned most with. Once we ARE what we should BE, we will DO what we should DO. The inside will flow outside for all the world to see.

I know it isn't just IFB... but this board is just IFBs, and I've never been part of any other kind of "religion".

• Members
I don't have a problem with women having a conviction to only wear skirts, as long as they don't look down on other women who wear pants.

Some people think that someone who believes they are doing wrong "looks down" on them. That is not necessarily the case. It is very often a perception issue.

Guest Guest

Not necessarily. I know women who have an attitude toward other women who don't have the same conviction regarding dress as they do.

We should never look down on someone who has less convictions than we do.

Guest Guest
That's the thing though..."if I feel convicted". Shouldn't God's Word be more than how I "feel" about something?

What if I don't feel convicted about smoking?

A godly man once said that if you can bring glory to God while doing something, then by all means do it. Obviously smoking would never do that, so one should clearly not smoke, but I have seen many godly and spiritual women wear pants without bring attention to themselves and instead glorifying God in their manners.

My mom has worn only skirts and dresses for as long as I can remember, and she does it because dad wants her to, she feels more feminine in them, and she feels she brings glory to God in doing so. I am very thankful that my mom obeys the Lord's following in that matter. However, to say that for someone to do otherwise is sinful would be ignorant, as that person is different, and the Lord may deal with them either on different things or in different ways.

I fully agree that we shouldn't follow culture just to blend in or not bring too much attention on ourselves, but as long as something is Biblical, moral and legal, then I find no reason to go against culture just to be a stick in the mud. For instance, back in the 60's and 70's, pastors preached against wearing wire-rimmed glasses. Now why on God's green earth is that a problem??!?! If you want to wear meteorite-rimmed glasses, plastic-rimmed glasses, or then go for it! The Bible says nothing about glasses, or what kind of rims to wear with said glasses, so to preach on something like that is outrageously ignorant!

• Administrators
I fully agree that we shouldn't follow culture just to blend in or not bring too much attention on ourselves' date=' but as long as something is Biblical, moral and legal, then I find no reason to go against culture just to be a stick in the mud. For instance, back in the 60's and 70's, pastors preached against wearing wire-rimmed glasses. Now why on God's green earth is that a problem??!?! If you want to wear meteorite-rimmed glasses, plastic-rimmed glasses, or then go for it! The Bible says nothing about glasses, or what kind of rims to wear with said glasses, so to preach on something like that is outrageously ignorant![/quote']

To a great extent you are right, here...I just wanted to let you know why, on God's green earth :lol: , many preachers considered it a problem. John Lennon. He of the "Jesus Christ is a fasctist, Spanish, [illegitimate child]" quote. The Beattles had taken America by storm, and many preachers were trying to warn their flock about emulating them. One of the big fads (and it was really only in the 60's, not the 70's so much) was to wear John Lennon wire rims. So most likely a lot of the reason they preached it was to be separate from the world.

I don't think it was necessary, but I don't think it was outrageously ignorant, either - without finding out from those preachers why they preached it!

• Members

I would agree with much of the OP, but also would like to say that if a preacher preaches something different than one 25, 50, or even 100 years ago does not make that preacher wrong.

We are commanded to 'search the Scriptures..' and 'study to show ourselves approved unto God a workman that needeth not to be ashamed rightly dividing the Word of truth.

I have been posting in one of the topics kitagirl brought up in the OP.. and given solid Scripture for my stance against what many preachers did preach was a command from God 25, 50, and even 100 years ago. But a proper study of the Word of God will show those preachers were wrong on that topic.

The Scripture states that there is nothing new under the sun. I believe it. What I preach, I study beforehand... indepth. If it is not found in the Word of God, I don't want to be accused of preaching it behind a pulpit. And neither should any preacher who wants to be in the will of God.

Be a Biblical Berean. Search the Scriptures and see if things are so before making statements that do not line up with God's Word and you will have no need to stand before Him ashamed for putting a yoke of bondage on your congregation.