• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Disturbing trend

Guest Guest

Hmmm... I have known preachers with beards and haven't seen an issue made of it... Of course as broad of a group as IFB's are it wouldn't surprise me that someone somewhere took issue with it. But that is true of almost anything.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are still some churches that won't allow pastors to have beards. Some won't allow any man holding a position within the church to have beards.

You are right, the biggest part of this issue is over, there are still some holdouts but it's not pushed as it once was.

Guest Guest
Hmmm... I have known preachers with beards and haven't seen an issue made of it... Of course as broad of a group as IFB's are it wouldn't surprise me that someone somewhere took issue with it. But that is true of almost anything.

Yeah, in most cases it isn't a big deal. I have heard a preacher say one time that he shaved off his beard because he learned that a preacher shouldn't have facial hair. I just heard him say this a couple years ago. I guess it just means some people are still confused about this subject...lol.

Guest Guest

I have heard preachers say it was wrong to wear those scruffy "two or three day look" beards, particularly since they are often accompanied by long hair and general worldly dress. That wouldn't be what you are speaking of would it?

• Members

One of the best pastors I've ever known was told that if he ever grew a beard he would be immediately fired. They had a clause in his contract that forbade beards.

I've heard of a few pastors who were told if they shaved their beards the church would consider hiring them. All of the ones I've heard of simply went elsewhere to preach.

• Members
Well' date=' considering Jesus himself had a beard "go somewhere else" would be my inclination as well.[/quote']

I agree. It's amazing though how some overlook that and they overlook all the great preachers of old who had beards while they focus upon young radical sinners in the 60s wearing beards as their guide.

Guest Guest
At least I try to base my standards on the Bible. Therefore having a beard really wouldn't be an issue for obvious Biblical reasons. :lol:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you weren't implying that those of us who disagree with you on other standards don't base said standards on the Bible. If that's what you meant, however, I would think some serious soul searching and attitude checking would be in order.

• Members

I just wanted to add that I did not mean offense by my post, I was just saying that since I try to base my standards on the Bible (and not rules by man) that I would certainly never say a beard was wrong. I was not saying anything about anyone else's standards and apologize if it came across that way.