• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Rosary

Guest Guest

It is not personal, but there just is no other way but Christ and catholics add works among other things. I don't have a problem with "you" I have a problem with false doctrine. You said you weren't getting "fullness" and I told you how to get it. You will never have true joy and you will always be empty without him...

"Numbers 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live."

"John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:"

"John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

I have attended a couple Catholic services and did not feel that they were doing anything wrong. I felt the true love for Christ they had.

Back to topic, what about the verses that i posted about the Rosary? If it is in the Bible, why is it so wrong?

• Members

Because it is a vain repetition and not a true prayer. Jesus never meant for us to pray the "Our Father" prayer over and over again before going to bed at night. That has no merit whatsoever. He said "after this manner". It was a model for praying, not a repetitive prayer. Basically, when one is saying the rosary, they are referencing some Bible verses; they aren't praying. Praying is talking to God, confessing your sins, loving Him, praising Him, requesting specifics...

• Members
Way of Life Encyclopedia
ROSARY

The Catholic Rosary is a ritualistic prayer to God the Father and to Mary using a chain of beads to guide the individual through the prayers. Most Rosaries contain five "decades," each with 11 beads, ten small ones and one slightly larger. For each small bead the "Hail Mary" is prayed. For the larger bead a prayer is made to God the Father. Thus, the Rosary is largely a prayer to Mary. A complete Rosary is 15 decades (each of 10 `Hail Marys' and one `Our Father'), though it is more usual to pray five decades. The Rosary's use has been encouraged by such influential Catholics as Pope John Paul II and Mother Teresa. "St. Dominic is credited with preaching the Rosary as an antidote to the Albigensian heresy. He called it 'the rampart of the Church of God' and 'the Book of Life.' Popes have described it as 'the salvation of Christians'; 'the dispeller of heresies'; 'the scourge of Satan'; and 'promoter of God's Glory.' Msgr. O'Sullivan in Externals of the Catholic Church says, 'Repetition in prayer is a very ancient custom. It would seem natural for man to recite his prayers over and over ... The Buddhist . has his long string of beads which he uses to measure his eternal repetitions of the praises of Buddha'" (Jackson). The "Hail Mary" prayer in the Rosary is as follows: "Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

There is much more information on the Way of Life website on the topic of Roman Catholicism. This short definition is just part of what is contained in the Way of Life Encyclopedia concerning the Rosary. http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/fbns-index/rccfbns.htm

• Members
ok' date=' you still did not answer my question ... read again..[/quote']

I did answer your question. Read again. You asked why it was wrong. I told you why. On top of what I already told you, the "Hail Mary" has some serious doctrinal problems.

When a Catholic says "Mother of God", he does not mean, "Human mother of the human body of Jesus". He means "Queen of Heaven - the one to whom God the Father and God the Son defer". There is a Catholic painting of "God the Father" and "God the Son" giving their crowns to "Mary" and she is sitting in a higher position than they.

To a Catholic, Mary herself was also divinely conceived which means she had that distinction BEFORE Jesus which makes her more important.

It is ok to have other Christians praying with us about things but we are not to pray to another human to intercede to God on our behalf. All true Christians are saints and priests and have only ONE mediator - Jesus Christ the righteous. This is why God tells us to come boldly to the throne of grace.

• Members
I have attended a couple Catholic services and did not feel that they were doing anything wrong. I felt the true love for Christ they had.

Back to topic, what about the verses that i posted about the Rosary? If it is in the Bible, why is it so wrong?

When you quote the Scriptures (regarding Mary) that you mentioned, you are twisting them to mean something they were never intended to mean. Let's say I said to my husband, "Darlin', you are the hottest thing I've ever laid eyes on! What are you doing later on?" OK...but what if my husband's secretary said those same words to him? Big time trouble, honey! What's the big deal? They're the same words, being said to the same person. But they have a totally different meaning coming from someone else's mouth, right?

When the angel greeted Mary, his words were intended as a blessing/greeting/announcement from God. He had the authority from God to speak with Mary in this way. However, his words in our mouths mean something totally different: a prayer to someone who can neither hear nor help us. Praying to someone who cannot hear us is idolatry, plain and simple. Nowhere in Scripture is it even hinted that Mary is our mediator, or that we should be praying to her at all.

Guest Guest

Ok, you are obviously indocrinated because if you actually asked a Priest or someone that is Catholic, like i have..... you would know that they donot put Mary higher than Jesus. That is blasphamy. Why make something up like that? Why not speak the truth, or if you dont know something, then just dont make ignorant comments.

Guest Guest

Ok, lets just look at a small part of it.

Holy Mary,

Revelation 15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.

This is saying that only God is Holy. Not Mary. Further, the part about praying to Mary is also unbiblical, the only examples in scripture show that we should pray to God.

It is written:

"Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."

And again:

"1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

We need no other mediator, no pope, no priest, and no godly but dead woman. There is nothing in scripture that would indicate we would and indeed quite the opposite.

Guest Guest

When you quote the Scriptures (regarding Mary) that you mentioned, you are twisting them to mean something they were never intended to mean. Let's say I said to my husband, "Darlin', you are the hottest thing I've ever laid eyes on! What are you doing later on?" OK...but what if my husband's secretary said those same words to him? Big time trouble, honey! What's the big deal? They're the same words, being said to the same person. But they have a totally different meaning coming from someone else's mouth, right?

When the angel greeted Mary, his words were intended as a blessing/greeting/announcement from God. He had the authority from God to speak with Mary in this way. However, his words in our mouths mean something totally different: a prayer to someone who can neither hear nor help us. Praying to someone who cannot hear us is idolatry, plain and simple. Nowhere in Scripture is it even hinted that Mary is our mediator, or that we should be praying to her at all.

My question to you would be...how do you know for certain? You dont...simple as that.

I feel like us Baptists try a bit to hard to not like Mary, just so we are not anything like those Catholics. Im sick of it.

Guest Guest
I feel like us Baptists try a bit to hard to not like Mary

We like her fine, she was a godly woman. However that is ALL she was. Nothing more and nothing less.

• Members

My question to you would be...how do you know for certain? You dont...simple as that.

How do we know anything for certain? Is there no guide to go by? Are we lost in this world without a compass? How do we know we aren't supposed to pray to Enoch, or to Hannah, or to anyone else who was "favored" by God? For that matter, how do we know that we aren't supposed to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem each year, or to attack God's enemies with physical force as the Israelites did? Can you answer these questions? What is our guideline?

I have nothing against Roman Catholics...I pity them, if anything, because of what they have bought into. Am I personally right about everything? Certainly not--I'm expecting some surprises in heaven for sure. However, I do believe that the Scripture is sufficient for faith and practice. If the Bible commands it, I strive to do it. If the Bible says nothing about a matter, I don't see a cause to practice it.

I feel like us Baptists try a bit to hard to not like Mary, just so we are not anything like those Catholics. Im sick of it.

Are you kidding me? :wink I LOVE Mary! I've done studies on her. I've made my daughters memorize the Magnificat. I've set her up as a role model for the girls in my church. I just don't see her as divine, and I think that praying to anyone but God is idolatry.

• Members

You didn't feel love for Christ from a bunch of people who do not know Him in spirit and in truth - ie. according to the Word of God and by believing the truth in their hearts - it's all outward ritualism in Catholicism, and it is based on lies, not truth.

The Bible doesn't teach us to rip some verses out of context and pray them - neither does it tell us to pray to anyone other than God Himself. No mortal, like Mary, can hear or answer any of your prayers.