• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Rosary

• Members
The Rosary derives from the early Christian Church, specifically in Ireland, where uneducated lay people wanted to recite the 150 Psalms daily as the Monks did. However, they could not read, and therefore, said 150 Our Fathers instead. To count how many Our Fathers were said, people carried small pebbles in pouches, 150 for each Psalm. It was simple was of remembering how many Our Fathers were said. This act was done to live a life of daily prayer and reverence. Eventually this became the Rosary, which includes Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, and the Apostles Creed. Even though it is recommended, the Rosary is not a doctrine of the Church nor it is a requirement for anyone to say it. The Church simply teaches it will greatly enrich one's relationship with God through prayer.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

I dont know how to say the rosary, but im sure there is nothing wrong with it. It is a positive notion. Im sure Jesus loves the fact that some people pray to him over and over. :Green

• Members
I dont know how to say the rosary' date=' but im sure there is nothing wrong with it. It is a positive notion. Im sure Jesus loves the fact that some people pray to him over and over. :Green[/quote']
As you say, there is probably nothing inherently wrong with the rosary. However, there is a problem with the kind of "vain repetitions" that Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for. And, if one is depending on "saying the rosary" to gain him/her favor with God (or, worse, as some sort of good luck ritual), then that's a problem as well.

Guest Guest

Do you pray the our father? If so, why do you? Is it to gain his favor? We all pray to God, to gain his favor and to ask him for things. I dont see such a problem with it at all.

• Members

Satan makes it all sound so pure and simple, doesn't he? It is because Mary is worshipped ten prayers to every one prayer to Jesus that it is nothing but blasphemy against the teaching in the Bible!

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20 ... sphemy.htm

• Members
Do you pray the our father? If so' date=' why do you? [/quote']
I pray to God for many reasons: b/c Scripture commands me to; b/c I want to praise Him; b/c I love Him; b/c I'm developing a personal relationship with Him; b/c there are burdens on my heart; b/c I know that prayer strengthens my walk with God; and many more reasons.

No. I cannot gain any more favor from God than what I already have in Christ Jesus.

Guest Guest

ok, for some reason it did not post, so i will try again..

Hail [Mary] full of grace,
The Lord is with thee,

Luke 1:28
And the angel being come in, said unto her:
"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blessed art thou amongst women,
And Blessed is the fruit of they womb, [Jesus].

Luke 1:42
And she cried out with a loud voice, and said;
"Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Mary,

Luke 1:46
"And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord."

Mother of God,

Luke 1:43
"And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"

Pray for us sinners,

1 Timothy 2:1-4
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone, for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be
saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

Now and at the hour of our death,

Luke 8:41-42
And a man whose name was Jairus, head of the synagogue, fell at the feet of Jesus, and begged him to go to his house. For he had an old child girl, of about the age of twelve, and she was near death. And as Jesus went with him, a great crowd pressed him.

• Members

The rosary includes meaningless repetition - which we are commanded not to do. It also involves praying to Mary - that is idolatry. We are commanded to pray to and only worship God.

Well, motherof1, we just had four Catholics join within the last two days and get banned today. My guess is you know those Catholics and joined to create further disuption - in that case you will be gone quickly too.

As Seth has stated, this is a Baptist board, not a Catholic one. If you are here to promote Catholic doctrine in any shape or form - after this warning - you will be gone too. And then you can enjoy these boards vicariously, because you won't be able to post anymore on them.

Guest Guest

That was for a "brother", and more importantly the words of these catholics trespass not against me but against our Lord. :wink

After all Paul said:

"O full of all subtlety and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?"

Guest Guest

For your information, i am Baptist, but i am seriously thinking about changing, one of the reasons would be because of people like you. And of my own personal reasons. I have not been getting a fulness of my faith at my church and have been doing some research of my own and have found things that my current faith is lacking. Sorry if that offends you, it shouldnt.

• Members

There is only one true faith and a person can have that regardless of what denomination they choose. Catholicism, however, is a continuation of ancient evil and is full of idolatry and deception. The Spirit of Truth will not lead you towards lies. Be careful of seeking an "experience". The Bible is sufficient and the Catholic church is chock-full of extra-Biblical teachings.