• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Canned Potatoes

• Members

I'm just wondering what you, personally, use canned potatoes for w/o the end product being starchy.

I normally use fresh potatoes for whatever I want to make but last year I canned some potatoes because I had too many. I recently tried making mashed potatoes out of them and they were really starchy and didn't taste that great.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

I have used them in soups and pies (chicken pot pies, etc.). That way they are not the only veggie used, and the starch is somewhat alleviated. I've never used home canned potatoes, only store bought. I don't like the store bought - but I bet the home canne is much tastier!!

• Members

I never buy them but I would agree...soups and stews, and then fried would be okay probably, like "home fries" with onions and peppers. Baked in a pan with tons of butter and seasonings might be passable as well.

• Members
I'm just wondering what you, personally, use canned potatoes for w/o the end product being starchy.

I normally use fresh potatoes for whatever I want to make but last year I canned some potatoes because I had too many. I recently tried making mashed potatoes out of them and they were really starchy and didn't taste that great.

Any ideas?

I remember your mashed taters. :drool :hungry:

I thought sure I had died and gone to Heaven. :thumb :Green

Jess, they are so good you might be asked to bring that to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :clap:

• Members
Aw, thanks. :ooops

Unfortunately I can't produce those results with canned potatoes. I guess I'll try the fried option, hashbrowns, etc. Stew might work too.

They aren't too bad tossed in the oven, I remember now, you put lots of butter and then some parsley. Also maybe a bit of garlic or onion. I've had them fixed that way at cafeteria type places and they're tolerable.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

When we used to go camping I always had cans of potatoes with us. We would fire up the campstove or stoke the fire, fry up some of those sliced potatoes in some butter and add some salt and pepper. We enjoyed them with burgers, sausage, and even a steak.

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to pick up a few cans...

• Members

Don't like canned but we have used long life pots in plastic.

Fry in hot butter, with a little olive oil to help stop it burning. When browned add chopped parsley and garlic, and serve.

better still use left over cooked pots, taste much better.