• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why is the KJV superior to modern Bibles?

• Members
I think I get where you coming from John. I dont agree with you but I think i get it. let me know if im wrong.

You hold to Conservative theology under the direction of Dynamic Inspiration. In other words, the Originals were inspired perhaps along the mechanical dictation lines. I come to this conclusion because you dont believe in the inerrant preservation of the Word of God.

Inspiration is basicaly defined as the Holy SPirit moved the human writers of the bible so that they recorded the very words and sense of God, but stayed in thier own literary style.

You do not accept Confluent Inspiration (which means the scriptures are a product of human and divine work). 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

So, the bible teaches this inspiration clearly.

So It would seem to me you must believe in Dynamic Inspiration (mechanical dictation) as you do not believe God could Preserve his Word though the generations.

I only post this trying to understand where those who do not believe in the preservation of the Word of God come from.

P.S. No, I was not taught to believe in preservation of the scriptures. I came to it on my own study. I say this because some folks here (not nessecarily you) claim "you follow only what you were taught by your pastor".

If im of or you hold to another type of inspration such as "thought inspiration" let me know.

So It would seem to me you must believe in Dynamic Inspiration (mechanical dictation) as you do not believe God could Preserve his Word though the generations.

It is Obvious, that you do not understand. This has nothing to do with dynamic inspiration but is what action the Greek tense in the original language is expressing in the original text.

I do not believe in the mechanical dictation theory of inspiration, which some believe that even the writers did not know what they were writing until the wrote it. I believe that God allowed the writers to express themselves according to their culture and to choose words under the inspiration of the Holy spirit safe guarding the writers from error.

Inspiration is basicaly defined as the Holy SPirit moved the human writers of the bible so that they recorded the very words and sense of God, but stayed in thier own literary style.

This is correct I believe in plenary verbal inspiration of the Bible in the orginals. I believe the orginal words were inspired without error. This does not refer to the translation.

You do not accept Confluent Inspiration (which means the scriptures are a product of human and divine work). 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

I Yes, I believe thatthe Bible is a human and divine book.

John

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1) Which Greek text are you referring to?

2) I can't remember the specific grammatical term for this, but basically it is a past action that effects the present: ie. are saved (we still are saved, not being saved), are sanctified (we were set apart by God, and still are set apart). We can see these same usages in other terms, such as "are baptized." We are not being saved, being baptized - we are saved, are baptized with Christ.

The Greek word which is a present participle is ????????????, it is the same in the Textus Receptus and the critical text.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
The verb "are Saved" is again in the Present tense and means "are being saved. It refers to the process of Salvation or santification.

God Bless
John

Hi John,

Would you care to explain the passage "He [Jesus] is risen"? Does it also refer to the process of raising Jesus? I mean 2000 years is a long time to raise someone from the dead.

Also, can you clarify for me your educational qualifications that would enbolden you to go against 47 Greek Christian scholars, some of which were Deans of such great learning institution as Oxford and Cambridge?

Yes, I believe thatthe Bible is a human and divine book.

Also, can you clarify your above statement ; do you believe the bible to contain error....especially since humans are full of it?

And finally, and perhaps most importantly, can you point to at least one doctrinal flaw in the KJV?

Respectfully,

Bro. Perry

• Members

Hi there!
I have a question related to this subject. I'm really sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but I need advice on this matter and the topic seems fit for what I'm going to ask. What would you recommend to a person who's not a native English speaker? Should he/she stick with his/her translated Bible or should he/she try to read from KJV? I ask this because in my translated Bible there are some missing verses. What about memorizing? I would prefer to memorize from the KJV because I find it more reliable and I could improve my English, also I already enjoy reading from KJV more than reading from the other version. If you could please help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

• Members
Hi there!
I have a question related to this subject. I'm really sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but I need advice on this matter and the topic seems fit for what I'm going to ask. What would you recommend to a person who's not a native English speaker? Should he/she stick with his/her translated Bible or should he/she try to read from KJV? I ask this because in my translated Bible there are some missing verses. What about memorizing? I would prefer to memorize from the KJV because I find it more reliable and I could improve my English, also I already enjoy reading from KJV more than reading from the other version. If you could please help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm gonna give you a none to helpful answer but an accurate one, you go with the most accurate translation you can understand. The reason I say this is that, while God promised to preserve his word, he did not promise to preserve his word in any specific language or any specific language of any given time.

I believe the KJB is the only Bible for english speaking people, but if english is not your primary language then it may not be the best bible for you.

C

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Because modern translation dilute the deity of Christ. Should you be interested in me showing the proof, I will.

Bro. Lj

• Members

Because it is the best and most accurate English translation. Some people need some help in understanding this (especially those who come from other Christian denominations and were not taught this). If you take different translations side by side and show how different some of the scriptures are in each one, you will see just how much better KJV is. I remember in college we had a Bible series that did this and the differences in the Scripture among the different versions was just alarming and sad to say the least. It's not wonder why so many self professing Christians are so lost in this world.

Guest Guest

Bros. and Sisters in Christ, the gauntlet has been thrown down. There are only two paths upon which we can embark. 1.) The path of narrow unadulterated Biblical Doctrine and truth in all its simplicity that will enable a believer to make much use of the word of God and lead that Christian in an understanding of God's ultimate plan. It will enable the believer to use spiritual discernment, (a spiritual gift that is nearly non-existent in the 20th-21st century churches) to discern between good and evil. The 2nd path upon which one can travel, is one that will ultimately embrace Anti-christ and his man-centered gospel of Outcome Based Religion that is so prominent throughout the land today. Make no mistake about it,these are the only two paths! You can only embark on path No. (1) by using KJV map. Path No. (2), all you need is a Modern Version and Translation, that will subtly lead you far a field in the pursuit of Biblical discernment, thereby leaving you exposed to error, and eventually the evil deception that will ultimately delude the world. I will give just one example here to illustrate my point.

The KJV is the only translation that reveals Christ true glory, all others take the glory meant only for Christ, and shifts it to man! Big surprise!

Romans 3:21 "BUT NOW THE (RIGHTEOUSNESS) OF GOD WITHOUT THE LAW IS MANIFESTED" (in other words that which revealed that God was truly righteous was the law up until the the time of Christ. For nearly 2000 years, there was an indictment by God's enemies that He was unjust because of the compassion and love he showed to O.T. saints, who had broken His Holy Law like His enemies had. They were charging that God was not truly righteous in dealing with every violator of His law. But then Christ was sent into the world!)

Romans 3:22 "EVEN THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD WHICH IS BY FAITH (OF) JESUS CHRIST UNTO ALL AND UPON ALLTHEM THAT BELIEVE; FOR THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE" (Notice it's the faith of Christ that the Father points to as evidence that He is indeed righteous. Christ faithfulness to the will of the Father is what is on display here for the universe to marvel at. In other words God points to Jesus and says I told you I was righteous and there is the proof. Not only Am I (just) but I Am also the justifier!) Now look at how all other translations and modern versions present v. 22.

Romans 3:21-22 HCSB "BUT NOW APART FROM THE LAW, GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS HAS BEEN REVEALED......(22) THAT IS, GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS THROUGH FAITH (IN) JESUS CHRIST TO ALL WHO BELIEVE. (In other words, it's our faith in Jesus Christ that reveals God's righteousness. Beloved, whether we believe in Christ or not, God is righteous, because of His Son's faith to the Father's will. Man will never have any place wherein he can boast!)

The path upon which we choose to embark, has eternal consequences! You will either be able to discern between good and evil by much use of the true word, or flounder trusting in your common sense or flawed interpretations by men and their version of God's truth.

In Joy I Serve Christ,

Bro. Leon

• Members

I guess we will have to disagree here. The main people that come here and teach about "Christ's faith" are typically Calvinists with an agenda (and no, I am not saying you do - just stating who normally uses it on these boards). I do not believe (am not convinced) that the phrase, "faith of Christ" (or related phrases) in the various contexts it is used in the NT refer to Jesus' faith on earth or some sovereign faith He gives His disciples, but to our trust in Him alone - whether for salvation or for daily living.

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Guest Guest

If Christ' faith has no significance, then neither does His righteousness! Too think that our faith in Jesus somehow translates to God being righteous, gives man place to boast of his righteous in Christ. Hebrews 1:9 "THOU HAST LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS, AND HATED INIQUITY; (THEREFORE) GOD, EVEN THY GOD HATH ANOINTED THEE WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE THY FELLOWS."

Hebrews 3:1-2 "WHEREFORE, HOLY BRETHREN, PARTAKERS OF THE HEAVENLY CALLING, (CONSIDER) THE APOSTLE AND HIGH PRIEST OF OUR PROFESSION, (CHRIST JESUS);
WHO WAS FAITHFUL TO (HIM) THAT APPOINTED HIM, AS ALSO MOSES WAS FAITHFUL IN ALL HIS HOUSE.

(3) FOR THIS MAN (CHRIST) WAS COUNTED WORTHY OF MORE (GLORY) THAN MOSES'

Hebrews 5:5&7-8 "SO ALSO CHRIST.....WHO IN THE DAYS OF HIS FLESH, WHEN HE HAD OFFERED UP PRAYERS AND SUPPLICATIONS WITH STRONG CRYING AND TEARS UNTO HIM THAT WAS ABLE TO SAVE HIM (If Christ' faith is so in- consequential to the Father in times of human suffering, why not just save Him from all the unnecessary suffering?) FROM DEATH, AND WAS HEARD IN THAT HE FEARED; (What did Christ have to fear, if His sacrificial work was already a done deal, and all He had do was fulfill each step?) He feared human weakness!

(8) "THOUGH HE WERE A SON, YET LEARNED HE (OBEDIENCE) BY THINGS WHICH HE SUFFERED; (9) AND BEING (MADE PERFECT) HE BECAME THE AUTHOR OF SALVATION UNTO ALL THAT OBEY HIM."

Christ unlike man never sought to glorify himself, only the Father! Man on the other hand, is in constant search of the glory lost in Adam. It would behoove us to tread lightly in matters where the Father wants to glorify His Son's faithfulness!

In Joy I Serve Christ,

Bro. Leon

• Members

I was just wondering......would you consider the New King James in the same catorgory as all other translations? When I first became saved (only 5 years ago), I admit I had all translations. For the last year and a half, I haven't bought anything other than the New King James, but after reading a lot here, I think I may have been misinformed about that as well!

• Members

Yes, Christ had faith while He was on the earth - I am not questioning that at all. However, I am not convinced that any of those passages I quoted above in any way indicate He gave us His personal faith. If He did, we would never struggle or doubt - as Jesus had perfect (whole, complete) trust in the Father.

would you consider the New King James in the same catorgory as all other translations?

Yes, - it is actually a bridge between the MVs and the KJV. It is (in my mind) worse than the MVs because it claims to be an update of the KJV, when it is in fact based partly on other manuscripts, changes about 100,000 words, distorts the meaning of many passages, and casts doubt on many other words and phrases.