• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why is the KJV superior to modern Bibles?

Guest Guest

Hi everyone. I have a question for you. Why is the KJV superior to modern Bibles translations? Could you please sum up the reasons for me? Thanks!

P.S. I know that I used to be on this board a lot and that I have been a KJV Onlyist before but I have gotten away from that theology and am seeking the truth. So if you all could please help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The simplest reason is the Doctrine of Preservation.

God promises to preserve his word from Generation to Generation. The KJV and it's corresponding Greek text can be traced back generation to generation back to the time of the Apostles. All modern translations can be traced back only 150 years to the Wescott and Hort. Then after that 1500 years in which no one has the Bible.

There are many other reasons, but this is the simplest.

• Members

God promises to preserve his word from Generation to Generation. The KJV and it's corresponding Greek text can be traced back generation to generation back to the time of the Apostles. All modern translations can be traced back only 150 years to the Wescott and Hort. Then after that 1500 years in which no one has the Bible.

Would you show me documentation to show were the testus receptus can be traced back to the 1st Century?

• Members

John, I forget the name of the papyri that was found, but there is a manuscript that traces back to early 2nd century and is part of the Byzantine line.

The Wescott and Hort text though shows absolutely no line of preservation from generation to generation for 1500 years.

Guest Guest

Wow. I did not realize that the text behind the KJV went back that far. I thought the Textus Receptus was made by a guy named Erasmus in the 11th or 12th century? :puzzled:

• Members

Erasmus lived at the beginning of the 16th century - and he is the one who coined the phrase "Textus Receptus" - but that text family did not start with him.

Guest Guest
Erasmus lived at the beginning of the 16th century - and he is the one who coined the phrase "Textus Receptus" - but that text family did not start with him.

Oh okay. How do we know that the Majority Text, the family of which the Textus Receptus belongs to, is correct then? How do we know that we can trust it instead of older texts like the Vaticanus and Synaticus. :puzzled:

Guest Guest
How come you keep changing your theology every few months?

Because of false teachers and the devil who is the author of confusion. I have been very confused until I came back to the Baptist church recently.

• Members

Any time we stray away from the truth we will be confronted with confusion and lies. It's always best to hold onto the truth once found, and to pray for wisdom and guidance that you may stand firm in the truth He has shown you. Pray also for wisdom, discernment and understanding as you read your Bible and seek to grow in the Lord.

• Members

I agree that we should hold fast to truth, John, but that truth should be subjected to and challenged against the Word of God on a daily basis. Problems can arise if we're holding so fast to a truth that we find Scripture to back it up rather than letting it be our source for truth.